Ravenstorm
01-10-2005, 12:03 AM
http://www.snopes.com/autos/accident/seatbelt.asp

Raven

4a6c1
01-10-2005, 01:34 AM
:O

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I wonder what his family says when they tell about his life and death. Or what they said at his funeral. Thats pretty funny.

Snapp
01-10-2005, 01:38 AM
Oh damn. How horribly ironic.

Hulkein
01-10-2005, 02:42 AM
Yes, 21 year old died, how funny.

01-10-2005, 02:45 AM
I wonder if it disuaded the anti-belt people from driving without a seatbelt?

Wezas
01-10-2005, 09:42 AM
I rarely wear my seatbelt in the back seat if I know the driver well. New drivers, "new to me" drivers, or bad drivers that I know - I always buckle up in the back.

01-10-2005, 09:48 AM
If any of the propaganda I absorbed in my youth that I apply to daily life actually stook, it would prolly be the seatbelt business. It's imbedded in my mind like a rail-spike through Phineas Gage's skull.

Caiylania
01-10-2005, 10:21 AM
That sucks. But maybe.... hopefully.... people will learn from stuff like this. Then maybe its not just ironic or in vain.

I can hope.

DeV
01-10-2005, 10:41 AM
It's almost like committing suicide.

Latrinsorm
01-10-2005, 12:11 PM
They should just make 4-point seatbelts the only legal ones already.

Parkbandit
01-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Now all I need to read is that a tree fell on an environmentalist and a member of PITA was eaten by an alligator.. and my day will be complete.

Back
01-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Irony... or stupidity?

The loss of life is almost never a good thing. You really need to consider protecting the gift you were given, and if you don’t, well, thats just sad.

Killer Kitten
01-10-2005, 03:53 PM
I'm religious about wearing a belt, even going so far as to belt up in the limo during my sisters funeral procession. It just seems like such an effortless way to increase ones odds of surviving an accident.

This young mans death is very sad, although I tend to agree with his viewpoint that laws governing behaviors that affect only the individual performing them are a symptom of way too much government. I keep thinking the world will slowly turn into that Stallone movie: swearing is offensive and therefore illegal, salt is bad for you and therefore illegal, sex has been proven to aid in the transmission of diseases and is therefore illegal, etc.,, etc.

Kimm

Delirium
01-10-2005, 04:27 PM
I never wear a seatbelt. I dont even think about it when i get in the car. I dont see why it matters really. How many bodies fly out of the car and kill people? If there isnt a big case of that happening than i should be able to risk what i want with my own body. I agree with Kitten about all the laws in the one movie. Pretty soon all cars will be driven by computer and the only thing to eat will be health pellets.

Rutilcaper
01-10-2005, 04:50 PM
I think you're being a little excessive there. There are seatbelt laws like there are arson laws. It's illegal to set fire to your house and kill yourself. I see nothing wrong with a law that saves people's lives with little to no effort involved and I think anyone who's so clueless as to not do it DESERVES to pay the $10. Deal with it and look out for your own skin.

Don't get all 1984 on us. It's just seatbelts.

DeV
01-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Killer Kitten
sex has been proven to aid in the transmission of diseases and is therefore illegal
Kimm Now that's where I draw the line. But I could see it happening as well. I think the movie was Judge Dredd.. :?: Nonetheless, good points.

It takes less than 5 seconds to strap on the very thing that might save your life in an accident. Also, I hate hate hate when I see little children sitting in the front or back seat of their parents cars with no seatbelts on.

Jonty
01-10-2005, 05:15 PM
see nothing wrong with a law that saves people's lives with little to no effort involved and I think anyone who's so clueless as to not do it DESERVES to pay the $10.

In what state is a no seat belt fine $10?

I think the movie was Judge Dredd..

Demolition Man,

DeV
01-10-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Jonty

I think the movie was Judge Dredd..
Demolition Man, Good call.

Rutilcaper
01-10-2005, 05:21 PM
In what state is a no seat belt fine $10?

Well, in PA it used to be $10. A quick search reveals that it's still $10, technically, but it is served in addition to a $30 Cat Fund, $10 EMS fund and $10 administrative costs.

So buckle up and save $60.

Fengus
01-10-2005, 05:28 PM
What a dumbass, evolution in action, this fucked just naturally selected himself out of the gene pool, and we are better for it. Stupidity doesn't go unpunished.

Originally posted by Latrinsorm
They should just make 4-point seatbelts the only legal ones already. \

Yes, and this would solve my only gripe with seatbeats, their lopsidedness makes them uncomfortable.

Delirium
01-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Not true ive never worn a seat belt in all 29 of my years(almost 30) and ive never even been in a real accident. Stupidity goes unpunished everyday thats why its news when it doesnt.

Hulkein
01-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Rutilcaper
I think you're being a little excessive there. There are seatbelt laws like there are arson laws. It's illegal to set fire to your house and kill yourself. I see nothing wrong with a law that saves people's lives with little to no effort involved and I think anyone who's so clueless as to not do it DESERVES to pay the $10. Deal with it and look out for your own skin.

In most states it isn't like arson laws.

Not to mention they aren't felonies or misdemeniors, but in addition to that they are secondary offenses, which means you cannot be pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt.

Wearing seatbelts saves lives, so does not being obese. Let's start fining people for being overweight, that'll save a lot more than seat belts. :duh:

[Edited on 1-10-2005 by Hulkein]

Ravenstorm
01-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Except that being obese doesn't lay a load of guilt on someone else when you end up dying because they skidded on ice. By all means, kill yourself if you want to. But don't put it on someone else's head.

Raven

Latrinsorm
01-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Not wearing a seatbelt isn't very far removed from jumping in front of a bus.

Or, what Raven said.

Killer Kitten
01-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Rutilcaper

Yes, it's just seatbelts. It's also millions of dollars awarded because some twit is too stupid to realize that coffee is HOT! It's also bartenders being jailed because they serve some asshat who later goes out and smears their stupid self across the highway.

I just don't understand when it became all right to abdicate responsibility for ones own decisions. If a person wants to not wear their safety belt why should my tax dollars go towards making sure they do? Same with wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle. I wouldn't ride without one, but shouldn't that be MY decision to make? How does my wearing a helmet on my bike or a belt in my car affect the lives of other people so much that they can make a law dictating this behavior?

If I get into somebody elses car or on the back of their bike, they are certainly within their rights to insist I wear belt or helmet while riding their vehicle. Why should a law be required for something like that?

Kimm

Jonty
01-10-2005, 07:53 PM
but in addition to that they are secondary offenses, which means you cannot be pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt.

I was pulled over for not wearing a seat belt about 4 years ago. And my grandfather was pulled over for a 14 year old not having his seat belt on in the back seat a couple of weeks ago.

Jazuela
01-10-2005, 07:57 PM
I like this idea better than seat-belt laws:

If you get into an accident, no matter whose fault it is, and you were injured and not wearing a seatbelt, the insurance company on either side of the situation will pay out NOTHING to you. Nada, zilch, zero. Your medical insurance will refuse to pay for the hospital visit, and the police will refuse to extract you from the vehicle. You'll have to call a specialty team and pay them with your credit card or cash.

That's why there are seatbelt laws at the current time. Not because "it's what's best for you," but it's what's best for the taxpayers and the people who pay their insurance premiums.

Rutilcaper
01-10-2005, 08:09 PM
I just don't understand when it became all right to abdicate responsibility for ones own decisions. If a person wants to not wear their safety belt why should my tax dollars go towards making sure they do? Same with wearing a helmet while riding a motorcycle. I wouldn't ride without one, but shouldn't that be MY decision to make? How does my wearing a helmet on my bike or a belt in my car affect the lives of other people so much that they can make a law dictating this behavior?

On the contrary. The laws are already there. They've been there for sosme time. The only thing they're doing now is GENERATING revenue for police departments et al when someone gets fined.

Snapp
01-10-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Jazuela
I like this idea better than seat-belt laws:

If you get into an accident, no matter whose fault it is, and you were injured and not wearing a seatbelt, the insurance company on either side of the situation will pay out NOTHING to you. Nada, zilch, zero. Your medical insurance will refuse to pay for the hospital visit, and the police will refuse to extract you from the vehicle. You'll have to call a specialty team and pay them with your credit card or cash.

That's why there are seatbelt laws at the current time. Not because "it's what's best for you," but it's what's best for the taxpayers and the people who pay their insurance premiums.

:yeahthat: I like that idea.

Hulkein
01-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Jonty

but in addition to that they are secondary offenses, which means you cannot be pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt.

I was pulled over for not wearing a seat belt about 4 years ago. And my grandfather was pulled over for a 14 year old not having his seat belt on in the back seat a couple of weeks ago.

I said in most states.

And I don't know if you realize what I said, but you can get a ticket for it, but you need to be pulled over for another reason such as speeding, etc. Then they tack on the seatbelt ticket.

[Edited on 1-11-2005 by Hulkein]

Hulkein
01-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Ravenstorm
Except that being obese doesn't lay a load of guilt on someone else when you end up dying because they skidded on ice. By all means, kill yourself if you want to. But don't put it on someone else's head.

Raven

So we're legislating guilt?

Warriorbird
01-10-2005, 10:24 PM
Yep. Not a new concept.

peam
01-10-2005, 10:25 PM
I only wear my seatbelt when I'm driving drunk.

peam
01-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Oh, and...

http://www.iii.org/individuals/auto/a/stateautolaws/

The third table down has seatbelt laws. States with an 'X' under "Primary Enforcement" can pull you over for simply not wearing your belt.

Hulkein
01-10-2005, 10:34 PM
So it is a secondary offense for adults in around 30 states, and a primary offense in the other 20 states, NY being one of them, Jonty.

Even if you disregard the primary/secondary, it still isn't comparable to Arson. One is a citation, the other is a felony.

Edited because there are 50 states, not 52, that is poker cards, which I just got done counting and had me thinking that number :lol2:

[Edited on 1-11-2005 by Hulkein]

DeV
01-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Hulkein
And I don't know if you realize what I said, but you can get a ticket for it, but you need to be pulled over for another reason such as speeding, etc. Then they tack on the seatbelt ticket.
Click it or ticket. In Illinois you can be pulled over and ticketed simply for not wearing a seat belt. They don't need any other reason. Not sure how it is in other states.

Hulkein
01-11-2005, 12:17 PM
Yes, we went over that.

DeV
01-11-2005, 12:22 PM
Yep. Just specifying another state that has the law.

Jonty
01-11-2005, 01:01 PM
I said in most states.

Yes, I realize what you said. I just missed the "in most states" part.

Edited: Yeah, I didn't pay attention to that part because you were talking about arson laws when you said "most states".

[Edited on 1-11-2005 by Jonty]