PDA

View Full Version : the encumbrance changes

GSTamral
09-11-2003, 07:24 PM
I personally believe that these encumbrance changes will serve to enhance certain aspects of playing, and make things a little more realistic.

Many of you may not have been around when Gemstone was actually a role-playing game, and have gotten used to the catering of staff towards the powerhunter and the person who garbs up on uber-items.

The result of the trends in the past has served to do the following. Many of those obsessed with role-playing have moved to other games, such as RoE and other MUDs where role-playing is still at the fore-front, and people have been buying their bodies and items en masse so they can be uber powerful, and because, sadly enough, they don't have anything else more useful to spend their money on.

We are left with a society of powerhunters, idiots like Klaive, and a now overwhelming cash market in which likely at least 1 in 2 people in the have actively bought or sold items for cash.

It is interesting they wait until now to start the in-game trends which will disfavor powerhunting, such as this encumbrance rule, but I personally am quite in favor of it. Warriors and Rogues ARE stronger, and SHOULD be carrying more things around with them, because that's their thing. And to those who argue this DS change is so frightful, I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather lose 50 DS than have it take me 25 seconds to swing once.

a wizard or sorcerer with no strength or constitution carrying around 500 lbs in boxes is a flat out joke. Personally, rather than drop DS, have encumbrance affect casting times. A weak halfling cannot lift a finger, let alone aim a bolt of lightning when carrying 500 pounds in gear. Period.

StrayRogue
09-11-2003, 07:28 PM
I play this game for fun. I live life for realism. While some level of realism is good in game, too much is a bad thing.