PDA

View Full Version : Fix me if I'm broke, please.

LordBacl
01-07-2005, 06:38 AM
I just returned from a 3 year nap and reallocated and retrained my level 23 Wizard. I'm pretty pleased with the result but I keep getting killed! Can you guys (and gals) take a look at my stats and skills and tell me if I did somethign wrong, or if I'm just biting off more than I can chew. I mean, what do you hunt at level 23?

My stats -

Name: Bacl Chaikura Race: Half-Elf Profession: Wizard (not shown)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 55 (2) ... 55 (2)
Constitution (CON):60 (5) ... 60 (5)
Dexterity (DEX): 88 (24) ... 88 (24)
Agility (AGI): 72 (21) ... 72 (21)
Discipline (DIS): 85 (12) ... 85 (12)
Aura (AUR): 90 (20) ... 90 (20)
Logic (LOG): 85 (17) ... 85 (17)
Intuition (INT): 80 (15) ... 80 (15)
Wisdom (WIS): 76 (13) ... 76 (13)
Influence (INF): 50 (5) ... 50 (5)
Mana: 110

Armor Use..........................| 20 4
Physical Fitness............. ....| 105 25
Arcane Symbols..................| 150 50
Magic Item Use..................| 150 50
Spell Aiming.......................| 150 50
Harness Power.............. ...| 150 50
Elemental Mana Control....| 150 50
Perception........................| 20 4
Climbing...........................| 10 2

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 13

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 20

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 20
Training Points: 1 Phy 0 Mnt (668 Phy converted to Mnt)

I've got a 4x runestaff that I keep in my right hand, and 4x tunic which is really full leather. I don't wanna carry a shield or blade, obviously.

Am I broke? I still have three weeks with which to fix. All suggestions and comments loved, even the harsh ones. Thanks in advance!

Drew2
01-07-2005, 06:44 AM
What are you hunting?

LordBacl
01-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Well, I got killed by a Frostie while fully fully spelled (and invisible!) with only one hit, so that's when I started to get suspicious that maybe I did something wrong. Then I found that standing around and letting kobold's swing at me yielded varrying DS results for some reason. Sometimes my DS was 92 other time 104, etc. Couldn't figure it out. Then one actually scratched me for one stinking point, and I figured that if a Kobold can actually scratch me at level 23 then something must be wrong (although I was unspelled when that happened). Maybe it's just me. Do my stats or skills look like bull-plop? Or am I just being dumb?

TheRoseLady
01-07-2005, 07:10 AM
Frost Giants are much older than in GSIII. They are like in their early 40's.

You need to spell up and see how you do against a critter more in your range.

Here's a website that has a runestaff spreadsheet that helps you calculate what your DS will be with one.

http://www.gs4sorcerer.com/

A cursory look - you probably don't need that much mana control. My wizard is .5x trained in, others may have more. You also need to read up on lores. Lores add to runestaff DS but also add to the functionality of spells.

Nilandia has a good run down of the various lore effects and GSIV changes too.

http://www.geocities.com/ladynilandia/

LordBacl
01-07-2005, 07:22 AM
Hmmm, okay. Well, here's an example from a recent hunt.

You hurl a powerful lightning bolt at a war troll!
AS: +174 vs DS: +72 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +47 = +185
... and hit for 43 points of damage!
Visible wisps of electricity shoot up right arm. Youch!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>

A war troll swings a war hammer at you!
AS: +175 vs DS: +119 with AvD: +29 + d100 roll: +81 = +166
... and hits for 34 points of damage!
Solid blow gouges a chunk out of your right leg.
You are stunned for 1 rounds!

Just tell me my DS and AS aren't terrible for someone my age and I'll rest better at night.

[Edited on 1-7-2005 by LordBacl]

Eiderfleur
01-07-2005, 08:01 AM
I really don't remember what my DS or AS were when Eider was level 23, although I do remember hunting Liches behind the misty chamber at the time.

Also where you are doubling in both Harness power and elemental mana control Eider only singles. I also used to double lores up till level 50. I now no longer train in lores, might start again once I cap.

As for your varying DS, you have taken into account the new MOC changes for when there is more than one critter swinging at you right?

As for Kobolds swinging at you while you are unspelled..... I imagine Eider would get pwned by kobolds unspelled too. Just the way wizards are made I guess.

LordBacl
01-07-2005, 08:13 AM
>>>As for your varying DS, you have taken into account the new MOC changes for when there is more than one critter swinging at you right? <<<

No, actually. There's just been so many darn changes in three years, and quite frankly I haven't found a good guide that documents all of them in terms for idiots like myself, so nope. No idea about MOC changes. Should I train in anything or is it just "one of those things?"

Drew2
01-07-2005, 08:15 AM
Yeah, you can take HP down to 1x or 1.5x and start working on that Major Elemental. Get Leech, your life will be easier. The mana control is cheap and helps with the runestaff ranks, so I'd keep it.

As for your defense... all you can really do is alter your hunting technique, hunt younger things, hunt with a partner, or you can lick a broadsword for experience.

Drew2
01-07-2005, 08:16 AM
This was just posted, but it's a good guide.

The layout is crappy and it's geocities, but the content is good, I'm sure.

Eiderfleur
01-07-2005, 08:26 AM
LB Check your U2U. I've sent you my skills/stats.

Don't listen to Tayre he has no idea what he's talking about he's an empath, a bad one at that :P *runs away*

Snapp
01-07-2005, 08:28 AM
I agree with Tayre (btw Tayre that link was already posted in this thread by TRL).. get mana leech. I'd drop 3 minor elemental spells to get it. It made life for my wizard so much easier. As for getting hit by a kobold, my wizard had the same problem of the insanely low DS when unspelled.

As for lores, I don't see them being a necessity, but picking up one might be a good alternative to 2Xing HP.

Drew2
01-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Tayre
This was just posted, but it's a good guide.

The layout is crappy and it's geocities, but the content is good, I'm sure.

Was it, Snapp? Really? Oh.

Drew2
01-07-2005, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Eiderfleur

Don't listen to Tayre he has no idea what he's talking about he's an empath, a bad one at that :P *runs away*

Whatever. I've trained and played more characters than you have. Ask Stunseed. The amount of training plans I've done for him, his friends, and others is ridiculous.

Snapp
01-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Tayre picks his nose and eats it.

Drew2
01-07-2005, 08:33 AM
And how!

Eiderfleur
01-07-2005, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Eiderfleur

Whatever. I've trained and played more characters than you have. Ask Stunseed. The amount of training plans I've done for him, his friends, and others is ridiculous.

Yeah hi......... Did you get that memo about sarcasm?

It's called a joke HELLO!!!

Drew2
01-07-2005, 08:38 AM
I wasn't being defensive, though I realized after I posted that that's the tone that post had.

Sry <3 u

Eiderfleur
01-07-2005, 08:40 AM
Sry <3 u

Feh go <3 your pp!!

:cry:

Anyway LB back to your training, *ignores Tayre* did you get my training, did it come in at all useful?

Try hunting zombies in potters field, or even go to cyclops in Solhaven, both of these should be alright for you to hunt without getting pwned.

AnticorRifling
01-07-2005, 08:58 AM
You can drop MIU and AS down to 1x and use the points for more spells. You can always catch them up later.

Stunseed
01-07-2005, 09:33 AM
< You can drop MIU and AS down to 1x and use the points for more spells. >

I agree here. Also EMC and HP can easily be dropped to 1.5 or even 1.25x to apply points in better places. If you're looking to max out your bolt AS, a stat fix to your dexterity would help. Yours seems low, since Jo's wizardess has almost 240 AS at your train.

Training a Wizard has so many paths, perhaps telling us your overall goal would be a good place to start. Enchanting? Spellup body? Hunter? War Mage?

AnticorRifling
01-07-2005, 09:36 AM
WAR MAGE!

LordBacl
01-07-2005, 10:12 AM
>>>Training a Wizard has so many paths, perhaps telling us your overall goal would be a good place to start. Enchanting? Spellup body? Hunter? War Mage?<<<

I really just want a wizzie who only uses magic in battle and has a great defense and attack. Everything else is just a perk. I wanna get to the point where hunting in a group is by choice, not a need. Anyway, thanks to everyone for their help. I've found it all very useful. : )

Askip
01-07-2005, 11:52 AM
I agree EMC & HP can be lowered, they only need to be 1x.

:D

hectomaner
01-07-2005, 01:05 PM
make sure you have all your spells on too, 401, 406, 414, 503, 507, 508, 509, 513, 905, 911, 913 to maximize your defense and offense

you might have forgotton one/some, that DS is pretty bad, it seems like you might not have been spelled up fully. also i'd go a full 3x in spells, its a nice way to go

Stunseed
01-07-2005, 03:39 PM
Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 13

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 20

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 20

If you're looking for better bolt AS and a chunk of DS, I would suggest switching your spells to...

Major 16
Minor 23
Wizard 14

Yes, it's weird looking at starting off. The next two trains, single in Wizard/Minor. At 25, you'll have Targetting, which will add 25 AS to that weakened bolt. With Major, this allows you to Rapid Fire to hasten your spellup process which is a bitch til near 30. Also, as you progress, Cone of Lightning is easily in reach for you. The sacrifice here is the lessening of the Wizard circle, but in your case there is no major spell you are going to miss, with perhaps the exception of Invisibility.

Also, what society, if any, is your Wizard in? I'd heavily suggest looking towards the dark side.

Carl Spackler
01-07-2005, 04:06 PM
at 23, i'd make an effort to get to 518 soon like Stunseed said. Hunt something that swarms like pookas, just ewave then 518 a couple times, you'll fry easy.

TheRoseLady
01-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Snapp
Tayre picks his nose and eats it.

:rofl:

LordBacl
01-12-2005, 03:20 AM
Okay, many, MANY, thanks to all of you. Without your help I'd be up a certain creek with only my hands as a paddle. I've redone my stats 3 times now, playing around to see what I like. I decided these would be my new STARTING STATS:

CO:63
DE:79
DI:50
LO:65
IT:60
ST:64
AG:83
IF:56
WI:60
AU:80

This gives me 90's in AU DEX and AGI when I hit 30 (currently at 24) as well as STR and CON at an average 70. The rest are all 70 or above, yielding slow but steady growth. The only sacrifice is discipline. I figured something had to go and that would have to be it. That's not gonna be a critical problem, is it? It's just that a Wizard needs so much to be good, they can't all be in the 90s. What do ya think, sirs?