PDA

View Full Version : New LNet server

Tillmen
05-22-2017, 11:25 PM
I switched LNet over to a new server a few hours ago. I went with a different Linux distro for the new server, and basically all the software on it is a different version from the previous server. Despite all that, the transition went well... which worries me. There was only one small bug I noticed and it was easily fixed. So I assume that the large bugs will show up as soon as I go to sleep. Let me know if something goes terribly wrong.

It looks like there's only one person still connecting to the old server, but I'm posting this just in case others show up later trying to connect to the old server. If you get a "connection refused" error message from lnet, update and restart your lnet script:

;repo download lnet
;k lnet
;lnet

If that doesn't work, you might be using a terrible DNS server that uses its cache for way too long, or the new server might be down.

Also, I expect this new server to fix the performance issues we've been having since the number of users doubled, so let me know if that stuff is still happening.

Zenith
05-23-2017, 11:03 AM
Awesome!

Out of curiosity, what distro were you using before and now? And any particular reason for switching? Also, what type of hardware setup is required for LNet?

Fallen
05-23-2017, 11:10 AM
Thanks for putting in the time/resources.

Tillmen
05-23-2017, 11:27 AM
I was using CentOS and switched to Gentoo. CentOS was supposed to be known for its security, but all the software in its repositories was fairly outdated. I suppose they keep up with security patches, but running a bunch of outdated software just didn't feel secure. I ended up having to compile Ruby and nginx myself to get a recent version, but then had some hassle trying to get them to work with a bunch of old software. There was a bit of a learning curve switching to Gentoo, but everything kind of just worked without all the problems I had gotten used to on CentOS.

LNet requires at least two hamsters and a 14400 baud modem.

LostRanger
05-23-2017, 01:29 PM
I've usually found I prefer Debian or Ubuntu Server LTS (mainly went here because it was the first to support running as a Hyper-V version 2 VM out of the box) for this sort of stuff. Also, there's a reason behind supposedly-outdated software:

Debian package maintainers 'backport' security fixes that come from newer versions of upstream. This means that security fixes get integrated in, but new features and other changes (which might break code that relies on something functioning a certain way) do not.

The idea is that you can maintain security updates and still generally trust that a working setup won't suddenly break because, say, your database engine makes a backwards-incompatible change that breaks all your SQL... even if the security fix was originally only made in a later version of the database software that made that change.

Out of curiosity, where is Lnet hosted?

Tillmen
05-23-2017, 04:11 PM
Also, there's a reason behind supposedly-outdated software:

I get that, I just don't like it anymore. The advantage of using stable outdated software is lost when I have to get software from a difference source because the software provided will not perform the tasks needed.

Out of curiosity, where is Lnet hosted?

The new server is on linode. They generally come highly recommended, and they somewhat recently lowered their prices, so I figured I'd give them a try.

Ardwen
05-23-2017, 05:10 PM
wait? you get to sleep? that hardly seems fair

Ardwen
05-23-2017, 05:10 PM
Also seen no issues since ya reset it last night, of couse I don't do all the crazy things some folks seem to do with lich