PDA

View Full Version : WTF is up with this?

KymberlynX
12-31-2004, 09:45 PM
Sitting at a table with my familiar hanging out at NM to watch what was going on with the invasion, then Morvule pulls this crap for no reason....

[Solhaven, North Market]
The crush of the crowd is almost overwhelming here in the center of the market. Peddlers wheeling small carts push their way through, shouting loudly. Nearby, a group of dwarves argue heatedly with a local merchant. You also see a snake-headed soulstone golem, a snake-headed soulstone golem, a snake-headed soulstone golem, a snake-headed soulstone golem, a snake-headed soulstone golem, a snake-headed soulstone golem, an angulate wentletrap shell, a green garnet, a ruby, a heavy crossbow bolt, an angulate wentletrap shell, a pink topaz, a fluted limpet shell, a crown-of-Charl shell, a violet sapphire, some polished pink coral, a green garnet, a piece of citrine quartz, a short sword, a shimmering golden ladder, a squalid canvas pavilion, an old barrel with a reinforced shield on it, a wooden bench with some stuff on it, the Belts booth, the Small Blades stand and the Muffinsmith's stall.
Also here: Lord Morvule
Obvious paths: north, northeast, east, southeast, south, southwest, west

A snake-headed soulstone golem stomps north.

A snake-headed soulstone golem snaps its jaws shut with an explosive *CLACK*.

A snake-headed soulstone golem stomps in.

Morvule hisses, "Ah, how nice. A cat."

A snake-headed soulstone golem's arms swing gently against its side, each swing ending in a *CRACK* as it contacts the golem's side.

Swirls of golden circles chase each other as the golden aura surrounding a snake-headed soulstone golem flickers.

A snake-headed soulstone golem stomps southeast.

A low rumbling erupts from a snake-headed soulstone golem.

Crackling and popping comes from a snake-headed soulstone golem as the golden aura surrounding it flares higher.

A snake-headed soulstone golem raises its over-sized feet and stomps them down leaving deep craters where each impacts.

As a snake-headed soulstone golem and a snake-headed soulstone golem stomp within touching distance of one another, their auras spark and clash in a blinding array of fiery gold!

Something burns away your connection with the cat, and then you feel it engulfing you!

You feel a sensation of loss as you lose contact with your familiar.

* Kylisie was just vaporized!
You become solid again.

It seems you have died, my friend. Although you cannot do anything, you are keenly aware of what is going on around you...

You mentally give a sigh of relief as you remember that the Goddess Lorminstra owes you a favor.

...departing in 13 mins...

* Kylisie just bit the dust!

The violet Kylisie disk disintegrates, dropping everything on the ground.

Suddenly you have the strangest feeling that you are being watched.
The feeling fades as quickly as it came.

KymberlynX
12-31-2004, 09:56 PM
And to make matters worse...this...

A dark-ridged scaled lizard soldier rifles through your gear! Somebody call a constable!

The scaled lizard soldier opens your silk gem pouch and after peering inside for a moment, scoops some gems into his sack!

Syberus
12-31-2004, 10:23 PM
Where's Arkans when you need him..

Amber
12-31-2004, 10:33 PM
I keep hoping the invasion is over, but I'm beginning to think it's going to go on all night. I've got my three youngest characters in Sol Haven and had hunting plans with them today. What a way to spend New Year's Eve, alone in a hotel room watching tv and reading message boards.

The Cat In The Hat
12-31-2004, 10:52 PM
I just realized my fire wasnt doing shit to them :(

but he killed me

Morvule stares at you with his slitted eyes, and you feel the very core of your being becoming painfully drawn to him! You let out a silent scream as your soul is torn away rapidly!

The spirit drain is too great and your soul departs!

Gothique's lifeless body drops to the ground!

Galleazzo
12-31-2004, 11:06 PM
Mebbe I don't get it/. You think you're immune to invasions?

Jolena
12-31-2004, 11:08 PM
I believe she didn't expect to be killed while sitting at a TABLE with her familiar looking in on NM. Don't think it's very common for your familiar to die and for you to die with it while at the safety of a table :lol2:

KymberlynX
12-31-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Jolena
I believe she didn't expect to be killed while sitting at a TABLE with her familiar looking in on NM. Don't think it's very common for your familiar to die and for you to die with it while at the safety of a table :lol2:

:yeahthat:

KymberlynX
12-31-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Galleazzo
Mebbe I don't get it/. You think you're immune to invasions?

I think I should be if I'm sitting at a freaking table and not actively participating in it. :shrug:

12-31-2004, 11:50 PM
Oh shit!

FUCKING PWNED!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111111

- Arkans

theotherjohn
01-01-2005, 12:35 AM

the whole familiar thing came about because people were picking up treasure with familiars while they were in safety

Divinity
01-01-2005, 12:36 AM
Gosh, that sucks. Go kick his bum! :rock:

KymberlynX
01-01-2005, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by theotherjohn

the whole familiar thing came about because people were picking up treasure with familiars while they were in safety

Mine was just being a silent observer. :P

Galleazzo
01-01-2005, 04:17 AM
I believe she didn't expect to be killed while sitting at a TABLE with her familiar looking in on NM. Don't think it's very common for your familiar to die and for you to die with it while at the safety of a table :lol2: Didn't see no table. Looked like middle of North Market to me. Now if the familiar was standing right there, Mordude could of pwned it. We know invasion NPCs can take out familiar, nothing new.

Vesi
01-01-2005, 04:40 AM
Ok. Think of it like this. There is an invasion in town. There is bad a guy with tremendous powers roaming around. You are able to cast a spell that can spy on this evil being. The evil one doesn't know (or care) that you just want to watch. He is evil. So, since he has these tremendous powers, he takes out both the spy and her instrument because you might be working against him. (plus it's fun because he is evil and that's an evil thing to do) It's would almost seem strange that someone with his powers didn't kill you. Tables aren't 100%, but you lowered your odds by sending out a spy. (even though I know you just wanted to watch)

Just another way of looking at it.

Vesi

P. S. Your baby has the cutest little face! I wish my daughter was little like that again.

[Edited on 1-1-2005 by Vesi]

Tsa`ah
01-01-2005, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Galleazzo
Didn't see no table. Looked like middle of North Market to me. Now if the familiar was standing right there, Mordude could of pwned it. We know invasion NPCs can take out familiar, nothing new.

Originally posted by KymberlynX
Sitting at a table with my familiar hanging out at NM to watch what was going on with the invasion, then Morvule pulls this crap for no reason....

[Edited on 1-1-2005 by Tsa`ah]

Galleazzo
01-01-2005, 05:18 AM
I read that, Tsa'ah. Read what I wrote? you want to stay safe in an invasion, you don't have your familiar peeking on the big bad evil dude who breaks sancts for the fun of it.

Invasions in GS kinda aren't spectator sports, dig? No one invented ESPN. You wanna watch, whatever, but sometimes the NPC's buttstroke you. She took a risk, she got pwned, that's life, done deal.

Tsa`ah
01-01-2005, 05:46 AM
Read both rather well the first time. Re-read to make sure I read it correctly before posting.

Ya, it sucks that you were sniped through your familiar, but those are the breaks.

As it was pointed out, too many people use pets to loot from safety and something had to be done about it. I wish they had done so during the Vvrael invasions instead of over using open implosion and meteor swarms.

I'm actually curious if sorc eyes are handled in the same manner. That's one of the things that used to piss me off as much as dumb asses using area spells, sorcs using area spells through the floating eye.

TheRoseLady
01-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah
As it was pointed out, too many people use pets to loot from safety and something had to be done about it.

Just for clarity sake, familiars can't pick up anything beyond like a single wand, or a gem - and even then it's limited by the size of the familiar.

I wasn't aware that this was a huge problem.

:shrug:

Nilandia
01-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Just remember, Morvule is a high priest of Luukos. This ain't someone you actually want to mess with. He will kill you if he can. Unfortunately, he was able to go through your familiar, but as has been said before, if he didn't kill you like that, I'd wonder if something was wrong with Morvule.

Nilandia

SpunGirl
01-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Heh. This is the kind of thing that sucks for GMs. People bitch if they get pulled into the conflict even if they weren't "trying" to get involved. Then people bitch if they're trying their hardest to get some interaction and no one pays attention to them.

My guess is that the GM in question thought you were slightly interested in what was going on, since you had your familiar there checking things out. You got singled out for a little fun. Just remember that many people joygasm all over their keyboards over this kind of random thing, and if you're not interested, this quest will (probably) be over soon.

-K

Nilandia
01-01-2005, 10:48 PM
:yeahthat:

From what I've seen of the two GMs running the quest, they're just out to run the quest for as many people's enjoyment as possible. Morvule was being his usual bad self.

They really weren't singling you out.

Nilandia

Fengus
01-02-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Vesi
Ok. Think of it like this. There is an invasion in town. There is bad a guy with tremendous powers roaming around. You are able to cast a spell that can spy on this evil being.

I think its lame, there is no lore that says anything about a familar's connection being that extreme in GS. This isn't D&D!

I think killing it and then perhaps a small backlash, but to outright kill her automagically is pretty weak.

What GM plays Morvule?

KymberlynX
01-02-2005, 03:13 AM
Ok. Think of it like this. There is an invasion in town. There is bad a guy with tremendous powers roaming around. You are able to cast a spell that can spy on this evil being. The evil one doesn't know (or care) that you just want to watch. He is evil. So, since he has these tremendous powers, he takes out both the spy and her instrument because you might be working against him. (plus it's fun because he is evil and that's an evil thing to do) It's would almost seem strange that someone with his powers didn't kill you. Tables aren't 100%, but you lowered your odds by sending out a spy. (even though I know you just wanted to watch)

Just another way of looking at it.

Vesi

P. S. Your baby has the cutest little face! I wish my daughter was little like that again.

[Edited on 1-1-2005 by Vesi]

I see this POV and actually thought of it myself...big bad evil dude shows no mercy and kills randomly. When you put it in the perspective of lashing out because he felt like I was spying on him, it even makes more sense. :smilegrin:

Also, I have to agree on the comment about my daughter even though I'm just a tad biased. :P Thanks for the compliment!!

[Edited on 1-2-2005 by KymberlynX]

KymberlynX
01-02-2005, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
Heh. This is the kind of thing that sucks for GMs. People bitch if they get pulled into the conflict even if they weren't "trying" to get involved. Then people bitch if they're trying their hardest to get some interaction and no one pays attention to them.

My guess is that the GM in question thought you were slightly interested in what was going on, since you had your familiar there checking things out. You got singled out for a little fun. Just remember that many people joygasm all over their keyboards over this kind of random thing, and if you're not interested, this quest will (probably) be over soon.

-K

Quests in general don't bother me...I usually park this particular character at a table because she is simply too young to do anything but die when invasions happen. I just didn't appreciate being pulled into it when I was pretty much minding my own business.

Vesi
01-02-2005, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by Fengus

Ok. Think of it like this. There is an invasion in town. There is bad a guy with tremendous powers roaming around. You are able to cast a spell that can spy on this evil being.

I think its lame, there is no lore that says anything about a familar's connection being that extreme in GS. This isn't D&D!

I think killing it and then perhaps a small backlash, but to outright kill her automagically is pretty weak.

What GM plays Morvule?

Thing is, you are connected to your familiar. When you die it runs around telling everyone. There is a connection. Morvule just used that connection. Like I said, he's evil. Would almost be ooc for him to not do that.

And I agree with Spungirl that they were trying to have a little fun. (and damned if they do or damned if they don't for most of them) I've been killed through my familiar before in this same quest. I felt I deserved it because I was snooping.

Believe Voraviel is the GM. Could be wrong about that but think he is.

Vesi

Vesi
01-02-2005, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by KymberlynX
[quote]Originally posted by Vesi

Also, I have to agree on the comment about my daughter even though I'm just a tad biased. :P Thanks for the compliment!!

[Edited on 1-2-2005 by KymberlynX]

Welcome! She has those sweet 'squishy baby cheeks'.

Jonty
01-02-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Nilandia
Just remember, Morvule is a high priest of Luukos. This ain't someone you actually want to mess with. He will kill you if he can.

She's wasn't messing with him. The familiar was sent to see if the invasion was still active.

Originally posted by SpunGirl

Well, I'd understand if the familar tried to interact in ANY sort of way. But in fact, all it did was LOOK at the room once. Also, there was no interaction from the GM character, besides vaporing the familiar and the wizard.

Artha
01-02-2005, 09:23 AM
Also, there was no interaction from the GM character, besides vaporing the familiar and the wizard.

This is a good clue to run.

Jonty
01-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Artha

Yes, "how nice. A cat." And? Doesn't seem like a fair indication. What did the cat see when it looked? "Lord Morvule" He could be any joe-shmoe character. Seems like he was just bored since no one else was there. Sure, some of you think it's fine because he's the "bad guy". I think it's a little overboard.

Artha
01-02-2005, 10:37 AM
What did the cat see when it looked? "Lord Morvule" He could be any joe-shmoe character.

Have you looked at Morvule? He's not your average joe-schmoe character.

Mistomeer
01-02-2005, 10:52 AM
I think it's overboard. With MOC changes, invasions are tough enough for the vast majority of players, I don't see the need to kill people through familiars or invade the Triage Tent.

Jonty
01-02-2005, 11:15 AM
Have you looked at Morvule? He's not your average joe-schmoe character.

Yes, I have.

Did the she or the cat? No.

[Edited on 1-2-2005 by Jonty]

Artha
01-02-2005, 11:21 AM
You asked me this:

What did the cat see when it looked?

The cat saw Morvule, who pretty obviously isn't your average adventurer.

Jonty
01-02-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Mistomeer
I don't see the need to kill people through familiars or invade the Triage Tent.

I could understand him killing people through a familiar if the person actually involved him/herself, even slightly, with him or the quest. But someone sitting at a table just looking to see if it's safe to go out yet? No.

I see it like this.... When someone complains about invasions/events like this, people tell them they don't have to participate. And if they don't like it, go to table(or some other "safe spot") and wait until the town safe to walk through again, go to another town, or log out. Well, she was doing that and was still pulled into it anyway. Apparently logging out is the only real option since trying to leave town is a very risky option as well.

Jonty
01-02-2005, 11:30 AM
You asked me this:

What did the cat see when it looked?

The cat saw Morvule, who pretty obviously isn't your average adventurer.

Actually, no, I didn't ask you that. It was a rhetorical question to which I gave the answer immediately following the question. And tell me... how is "Lord Morvule" so obviously not your average adventurer? The cat would have had to actually look at him directly for it to be obvious. And that would have slightly given Morvule a better reason to kill the cat and wizard. But the cat didn't even do that. This is why I think it was overboard, given the lack of interaction on both ends.

Artha
01-02-2005, 11:34 AM
I think the fact that he's standing around in a sea of soulstone golems makes him not average.

Was it a bit overboard? Sure. But that's what being the bad guy's all about, and Morvule is definitely the bad guy.

Jonty
01-02-2005, 11:54 AM
I think the fact that he's standing around in a sea of soulstone golems makes him not average.

Alright, I buy that. Though him being some uber-powerful bad guy because of that wouldn't have really been what I'd be focusing on if I had no interest in the quest at all, besides waiting for the cirtters to leave town.

Was it a bit overboard? Sure. But that's what being the bad guy's all about, and Morvule is definitely the bad guy.

Yeah, I do except bad guys to do bad things.... But would it be okay if one of his non-GM character followers saw the cat, sat" "Ah, a cat. How nice", 405 the cat, find the wizard, implode her, and leave? SIMU doesn't think so, because it "ruins the playing experience", or what ever it is that they say pertaining to CvC and the "bad guy" RP reason. If it's a no-no for PCs, I don't see why it wouldn't pertain to GM run NPCs. I'm sure he had plenty of willing participants to kill.

The invasion is enough. Killing quest patricipants interacting with him is enough. To go around normal mechanics to kill someone sitting at a table, and did nothing but LOOK at NM, who is not interested in the event is overboard and inappropriate.

theotherjohn
01-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Jonty

The invasion is enough. Killing quest patricipants interacting with him is enough. To go around normal mechanics to kill someone sitting at a table, and did nothing but LOOK at NM, who is not interested in the event is overboard and inappropriate.

I think we need to know how long the person who is not interested in the event had the cat follow NM around looking at him

Jonty
01-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by theotherjohnI think we need to know how long the person who is not interested in the event had the cat follow NM around looking at him

NM doesn't move, so I'll take it you mean follow Morvule around looking at him. The cat didn't follow anyone around, nor look at anyone. All it did was go to NM to check for critters.

Edited: NM= North Market. It's a area/room in Sol Haven.

drigore
01-02-2005, 02:10 PM
Morvule = GM acolyte of Luukos.
Running around with a familiar is the same as sneaking room to room, invisible or otherwise. It's a major quest, and he's looking for the last piece of the sword. It was announced on the net that he was around, and Maluverre had taken a group up into his airship into the storm. The shades and banshees were faught on the bow of his ship even before this town invasion started. There was more then ample warning of what was going on, and who Morvule was. Sorry, but if you want prying eyes on something that big, expect something to happen.

Jonty
01-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Some people don't listen to the net, or care about the quest. Yes, it was very clear something was going on... there were critters in town killing people. That's why the wizard stayed at the table the whole time. The familiar was sent after a while to see if it was safe to walk outside the inn, that's all. It did nothing but look at the room once after it arrived.

Sorry, but if you want prying eyes on something that big, expect something to happen.

Sorry, I don't expect a character to be killed by a GM character just for looking at a room because he/she doesn't want to participate in the event/invasion. The GM needs to use a little sense in his kills. At least give a better warning than, "Ah, how nice. A cat." How about just kill the cat first? Or make a comment about killing spies? I'm sure he doesn't just go around saying, "Ah, how nice. A <whatever>." and kill the Liabo followers with no other kind of interaction.

Nilandia
01-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Yep. Anything that says something, but doesn't actually use the word "says," "asks," or "exclaims," is a GM character.

If he's standing around in an invasion and not getting attacked... and he's hissing... about my familiar... I'm running. Or maybe not. I might have stayed just to see what the heck he'd do. I'm fatally curious like that. :smilegrin:

Nilandia

theotherjohn
01-02-2005, 05:44 PM
Edited: NM= North Market. It's a area/room in Sol Haven.

I know that. I had a brain cramp. For some reason I thought it was N (something) Morvule

Parkbandit
01-03-2005, 09:31 AM
I learned a long time ago.. that if you do not want to participate in an invasion.. get the fuck out of the town it's happening in. If you can't get out, then you are involved in the invasion or event.

How IC is it for the invading army to say "Ok.. we'll take over this whole town and kill anyone we see, but the public tables are OFF LIMITS and that triage tent over there.. don't go in there because that's where all the people are gathered. Other than that, let's KILL EVERYONE!"

Warriorbird
01-03-2005, 10:10 AM
"Some people don't listen to the net, or care about the quest. Yes, it was very clear something was going on... there were critters in town killing people."

Invasions are not consent based.