PDA

View Full Version : Skiing/Snowboarding

Sean
12-29-2004, 05:06 PM
Was doing some research on Hunter Mnt. for my New Years plans and figured it might be interesting to start a thread about skiing and snowboarding. Wheres the best skiing, best resorts, best snow, etc. So is anyone else on the boards a skier? or snowboarder?

PS. If anyone has gone to hunter mind giving me some feedback? I didn't pick it and have never been there.

12-29-2004, 05:08 PM
When I used to be flako, I'd ski in bel-aire, it's upstate across the GWB, then take the deagan north of where you are in Jersey right now.

Tsa`ah
12-29-2004, 05:09 PM
My advice ... stay away from places that synonymous with skiing.

I've mainly done my trips in Beaver Creek Co. or small out of the way slopes in Vermont.

Of course it's been some time since I've been.

I would love to try some Alaskan slopes.

[Edited on 12-29-2004 by Tsa`ah]

Drew
12-29-2004, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Tijay
Was doing some research on Hunter Mnt. for my New Years plans and figured it might be interesting to start a thread about skiing and snowboarding. Wheres the best skiing, best resorts, best snow, etc. So is anyone else on the boards a skier? or snowboarder?

PS. If anyone has gone to hunter mind giving me some feedback? I didn't pick it and have never been there.

My sister is a professional snowboarder. She was based in hunter last year and liked the mountain, so I can tell you that at least. I visited but I didn't get a chance to ride so I can't tell you much more.

Latrinsorm
12-29-2004, 07:54 PM
<--- skier

Stay away from Jimney Peak (by far the worst place ever).

Catamount and Wachuset are good, and we ski at Butternut every year, several times.

I think I almost went to Hunter Mountain once, but I couldn't get a ride to this other college (at 7:00 AM on Saturday, go fig) so instead I slept.

Anebriated
12-29-2004, 11:38 PM
I have been snowboarding for quite a few years. I generally stay local due to long drives to get to any real snow(would have to drive to up state NY or VT). I generally stay away from places like camelback but I do hit up blue mountain and bear creek(bear creek is alot smaller but its generally less crowded and has a nice park). Those are mostly in the Pocono's area. Im heading out to Utah this season, should be a good trip.

AlahnnaDenale
12-29-2004, 11:41 PM
I just wrecked my knee (again) skiing tonight.

Does that count?

Marl
12-30-2004, 12:14 AM
Well, kind of off topic but... I just tried skiing for the first time this weekend and damn, you people who ski all the time have my respect! I am sore all over, and still feel like I did not learn how to ski at all. staying up and turing was no problem, going fast, no problem, stopping....BIG problem. It hurt quite a few times. Seeing everyone else trying snowboards staying on their butts more than their feet made me a bit wary to try it, but, I will next time! Had a blast though and I figured out the older you get the more muscles you find.

faiyth
12-30-2004, 12:39 AM
I've just started learning to ski, I totally suck but I went to Timberline (Mt Hood) and it was fun. I tried snowboarding but I ended up on my butt to much so I switched over to skiing. My boyfriends a great skiier so I figured he could teach me n' stuff... of course I'm slower then crap and he got bored quick but I had fun! I was afriad I'd kill myself skiing into a tree or something though. Heh. Bachelor and Timberline are the tops here from what I've heard, Timberline was steep and I found out later it's for the advanced skiiers and that I should have learned at Mt. Hood Ski Bowl which has a great flat lil bunny slope.

4a6c1
12-30-2004, 01:17 AM
Tried snowboarding once. Anyone ever notice how packed snow feels very much like concrete when you fall on it? It made my butt hurt. :sniffle:

Anebriated
12-30-2004, 01:18 AM
Snowboarding is all about staying on your edges and keeping your knees bent. Skiing is similar but I havent done that in about 8 years so I wouldn't be one to give ski tips. Also the learning curve of snowboarding is alot quicker I think, it gets to a point where everything clicks and starts to work as it should. Until that point you will find yourself sitting on the mountain quite a bit.

faiyth
12-30-2004, 01:37 AM
Yeah... I haven't tried Snowboarding in at least a year now. I've been wakeboarding alot though and from what I hear wakeboarders get the balance of snowboarding so I'm anxious to give it another go. I think it would be fun.

Sean
01-02-2005, 10:08 PM
Hunter had nice trails, but they turned to ice from friday to saturday. And the mountain closes at 4pm because theres no lights I guess. So if you're going to hunter I hope you plan to stay the weekend and budget in a lot of drinking time at the HVI.

Mini-Spir
01-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Tahoe has the best skiiing.

Varsus
01-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Big Sky.

Most vertical feet in the US I think.

I live about 50 min from there, and I know the whole gang on the hill.

-Varsus

Souzy
01-04-2005, 11:38 PM
I use to go to Killington Mt. with my brothers. The only mt. we have close to here is Wachusett Mountain, it's alright, it's not Killington, but it's only 20 mins from me. I board.

[Edited on 1-5-2005 by Lalana]

Sean
11-29-2006, 05:57 PM
Big ol' bump.. same ol' question.

So last year in continuing with the skiing on new year tradition we did Bolton Valley in Vermont this year we're thinking about doing Mount Snow in Vermont anyone have any experience with this mountain?

xtc
11-30-2006, 10:33 AM
I live in low lands so there isn't much in the way of hills. Blue Mountain is the closest and it is a small hill. I have been to Whistler in B.C which is a wicked ski resort. I have also been to Grey Rocks in Quebec which isn't bad but usually it is too damn cold.

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/index.htm

Gan
12-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Interesting [CNN] story relating to researching skiing destinations on the web.

Some useful links in the story.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/ADVISOR/12/04/cybertrips.ski.ap/index.html

Jazuela
12-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Ditch the board and the downhill, and go X-C on your friendly neighborhood golf course instead. Good fun, awesome full-body workout, no charge, and it's a rare X-C golf-courser who comes home with a broken bone.

Sean
12-05-2006, 04:23 PM
X-C is one of the least enjoyable things I've done. I much prefer downhill.

Artha
12-05-2006, 04:24 PM
I didn't know you were a raver.

Sean
12-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Yea I rave on golf courses in the snow. It's a full body workout.

Stanley Burrell
12-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Go to Belaire ski resort in the Catskills because it is the closest to Jers' and they also don't discriminate against African Americans.

Rathain
12-07-2006, 01:39 AM
On the east coast, Sunday River isn't half bad, but Sugarloaf is better.