PDA

View Full Version : Spiked Armor & Flaring Armor

Praefection
06-01-2005, 12:57 AM
Spiked Armor & Flaring Armor Implemented! · on 5/31/2005 6:41:56 PM 1084

We have implemented support for armor (torso armor, armor accessories, and shields) to be spiked and/or possess elemental flares. Using spiked armor offensively (through various combat maneuvers) results in the possibility for random puncture flares. Using a spiked armor in this fashion also adds a penalty of 10 to your chance to hit. Your existing spiked armor must be first properly prepared by a merchant before this new ability can be used in combat.

Flaring armor is divided into two types: reactive armor and non-reactive armor. Reactive armor flares randomly occur when the armor piece is struck in battle by a foe (for example, getting struck in the head while wearing a fire flaring helm). Non-reactive flares only occur when the armor piece is used offensively against a target. Shield flares and holy water flares are, by default, non-reactive. All other types of armor pieces are reactive by default.

Coase

I log in at work to see this on the main page. Looks interesting.

Apotheosis
06-01-2005, 01:20 AM
spike armor is kinda dumb, flared armor rocks.

Drew
06-01-2005, 01:31 AM
I hope this isn't a step to ease a transistion to breakage.

Sean
06-01-2005, 02:19 AM
More importantly are critters going to gen wearing spiked/flared armor?

Asha
06-01-2005, 03:47 AM
And even more importantly, can pures get any more fucked?

Tromp
06-01-2005, 08:33 AM
way too much stuff to keep up with... they should come out with a manual one of these days.

Fallen
06-01-2005, 08:43 AM
And even more importantly, can pures get any more fucked? >>

How do you figure? We will be able to wear armor that when struck with a blade will flare against the attacker. Think of it as a second Cloak of Shadows.

If a Square lands a CMAN on you its already over anyway.

Parker
06-01-2005, 08:46 AM
I think this is a terrific idea...would it actually give validity to an unarmed attacker? What if you were wearing spiked/flaring gauntlets?

Fallen
06-01-2005, 08:47 AM
I think this is a terrific idea...would it actually give validity to an unarmed attacker? What if you were wearing spiked/flaring gauntlets? >>

As of right now I have heard of nothing for Spiked Gauntlets. Not to say info hasn't been released, but I am pretty sure it is not in the official document.

Parker
06-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Aww, that's upsetting. I thought that would be a rather nifty idea...create a character who's a barroom brawler? That could be a blast.

Gan
06-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Tromp
way too much stuff to keep up with... they should come out with a manual one of these days.

I'm sure they'll put one out eventually. 39.95 for premium members, 49.95 for prime members... I'm suprised they have not thought of this from a revenue standpoint by now, unless the publishing costs would push their desire for profit above the threshold of what gamers would be willing to pay.

Syberus
06-01-2005, 12:28 PM
They had a poll a few months ago asking what we would pay for a book.

Drew
06-01-2005, 08:08 PM
Back in 1997 there was just such a book. I forget the price and it was player written, if I owned a copy I could tell you more but I never bought one.

Jayvn
06-01-2005, 08:23 PM
The only problem with a gs manual is each month or two some aspect of it would become outdated... "Let's see what new FEATURE we can make this month.

Flurbins
06-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Speaking of books, whatever happened to the Gemstone d20 book they were supposedly working on?

Tromp
06-02-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Jayvn
The only problem with a gs manual is each month or two some aspect of it would become outdated... "Let's see what new FEATURE we can make this month.

Well maybe they could just make a manual on PDF and when new elements are added they just post the updates.

Harlock
06-02-2005, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Flurbins
Speaking of books, whatever happened to the Gemstone d20 book they were supposedly working on?

I doubt this would ever come about. For one thing, we are in the middle of 2005 and Anthony Valterra once said in an interview on Mortality.Net's bi-weekly D&D/d20 radio broadcast that he had heard when he was still working for Wizards of the Coast that the new version of D&D (and possibly any new license or SRD) would come around 2007. As much as Simutronics drags their feet I don't see the point. In addition, Gemstone's combat systems would need to be majorly downtweeked or it would be too cumbersome for tabletop play. This in turn means many combat spells, the entire empath profession et al would all need major revisions as well. Add to that Simutronics, er, how to put this pleasantly, need for secrecy? To release a d20 product they would need to fully flesh out histories, dogma, geography etc. You've seen the website. You've read what they consider detailed. Finally, their customer base just doesn't merit a d20 release. How many people really play Gemstone? Of those, how many are tabletop roleplayers? Of those, how many would even be interested in a book or books about Gemstone?

I know and have interviewed a lot of folks involved in the d20 movement as well as dealt with many of the major publishers on message boards. There is just no way Gemstone d20 would justify the cost involved in putting it together. You are talking about a niche market of a niche market of a niche game. Unlike World of Warcraft and Everquest licenses (where you hope to entice some of the hundreds of thousands of people that have played the game online into buying an RPG Book) Gemstone just does not have the name recognition nor player base to merit such a book, in my opinion.