PDA

View Full Version : Your worst in-game deal.

Trump
03-27-2017, 03:57 PM
What was your worst in-game deal? What was the item(s) in question and why was it bad? Did you ever recover and what did you learn from the experience?

*Do not include blatant scams please.

MotleyCrew
03-27-2017, 04:48 PM
Augie once sold me a cloak that was 30 lbs. I was a newbie and didn't know better to ask such questions. It's been in a locker since. Live and learn.

Astray
03-27-2017, 04:52 PM
When I first started up I guess the worst deal was a 4x Falchion at 1mil? I later learned it was only 75k, max. Not even an issue, really.

Jhynnifer
03-27-2017, 05:18 PM
Not a player deal.... but my first GM auction. There was a glass fishbowl (this was before the release of any real pets outside of premium homes) and it was teased it was a pet. WELP... turns out it was a fishbowl with 5 scripts on it and no ambients. I blew my only auction win on something that turned out to be seriously disappointing. I think I lockered it for about 10 years then promptly lost it somehow.

mgoddess
03-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Once sold a krolvin backslasher for far less than it was worth... think I was figuring, at the time, that it was better to get it into the hands of someone who would use it quickly, rather than keep it until someone with the "right" amount of silvers would come along for it.

SonoftheNorth
03-27-2017, 05:20 PM
I bought something from Tsin.

velderan
03-27-2017, 05:26 PM
I lockered it for about 10 years

promptly

...whut?

Amerek
03-27-2017, 05:31 PM
I straight up traded a 4x decently crit-weighted falchion (silver-hilted blue vultite falchion) for a 4x heavily damage weighted falchion (veniom-hilted falchion or opaque or whatever BS it was). This was before I had any knowledge of game/crit mechanics, so I was devastated that I couldn't leg crit ice trolls and frost giants. Dood wouldn't trade back (don't blame him, but rawww deal).

Edit: To this day, you will never see me sell damage weighted anything, just out of spite.

Jhynnifer
03-27-2017, 05:34 PM
...whut?

I lockered it for 10 years then lost it the same day I took it out. Dunno how that's confusing.

gilchristr
03-27-2017, 08:59 PM
I once sold 828,000 square miles of land that stretched from the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains and from the Gulf of Mexico to Canada for 15 mil.

macgyver
03-27-2017, 10:11 PM
I once sold 828,000 square miles of land that stretched from the Mississippi River to the Rocky Mountains and from the Gulf of Mexico to Canada for 15 mil.

Napolean Bonaparte was a bit too busy conquering actual shit worth conquering like the British Empire. If you think he was going to twiddle his thumbs after he conquered ALL of Europe including Russia, you would be wrong.

Gelston
03-27-2017, 10:20 PM
Napolean Bonaparte was a bit too busy conquering actual shit worth conquering like the British Empire. If you think he was going to twiddle his thumbs after he conquered ALL of Europe including Russia, you would be wrong.

Napoleon conquered approximately 0 British Empires.

Tisket
03-27-2017, 10:40 PM
I don't think I've ever gotten a bargain buy or made a profit selling anything in game.

I suck at merchant-ing (if it's not a verb it should be.) Luckily I've always been able to afford to be bad so I'm not bitter.

And I've also been a victim of Tsin. Mostly because he'd just wear me down until I was all like, "Fine! Sell me the over priced piece of shit!"

Gelston
03-27-2017, 10:42 PM
I don't think I've ever gotten a bargain buy or made a profit selling anything in game.

I suck at merchant-ing (if it's not a verb it should be.) Luckily I've always been able to afford to be bad so I'm not bitter.

And I've also been a victim of Tsin. Mostly because he'd just wear me down until I was all like, "Fine! Sell me the over priced piece of shit!"

That was what he did. It was annoying. I blocked him on AIM because he wouldn't stop trying to sell me this bow.

macgyver
03-27-2017, 10:46 PM
Ahhh Tsin, I wonder what he's up to now...

Archigeek
03-27-2017, 11:10 PM
Paid 30 million for an x per day wall of force item. A month later the duration was lowered to 60 seconds. Fuuuuck.

Gelston
03-27-2017, 11:19 PM
Paid 30 million for an x per day wall of force item. A month later the duration was lowered to 60 seconds. Fuuuuck.

Pft, the new spell lists were out well in advance! There was even a test server with 4 on it! I THOUGHT ARCHITECTS WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE PROPER PRIOR PLANNING?

Wyrom
03-28-2017, 12:00 AM
I was swindled by a well known swindler, which caused me to take action and do something about it. I decided to apply to be a GameHost. See what happened?

SashaFierce
03-28-2017, 12:09 AM
I once bought a private property at the "Greatest Auction" ever.

It took 2 months to make some changes to it.

So far it's taken another month in QC and it's still not finished/out of QC.

Mogonis
03-28-2017, 12:20 AM
Ardwen once bought an airship.

Amerek
03-28-2017, 02:42 AM
I was swindled by a well known swindler, which caused me to take action and do something about it. I decided to apply to be a GameHost. See what happened?
http://i.imgur.com/OG2hHwW.jpg

shad0ws0ngs
03-28-2017, 03:35 AM
Spent a few years saving up to buy a 7x lor runestaff for 32m. About two months later the treasure system rollout happened and the value plummeted. I still have it. Altered it, added zests, and acuity flares.

Ardwen
03-28-2017, 04:00 AM
As Mogonis mentioned, I bought an airship, instead I got to deal with the worthless piece of shit Auchand and wound up with a refund instead. Plus side, Kynlee helped me do some awesome additions to my workshop last year, which I do love.

Tyronebiggums
03-28-2017, 04:19 AM
I once bought a private property at the "Greatest Auction" ever.

It took 2 months to make some changes to it.

So far it's taken another month in QC and it's still not finished/out of QC.

You also accepted a position as moderator on a internet forum. That was a raw deal as well.

Androidpk
03-28-2017, 08:26 AM
20 million for an altered crystal amulet.

LivderaDeralleur
03-28-2017, 08:30 AM
Sold the altered Dhu kitten that I had personally gotten off the Dhu for like 4-5M.

This was before the script got updated to let the kitten follow you and be all ambient and cute.

Major regrets. Though, at the time, the things were pretty cheap for a pet due to not really being ambient and still being fairly common. And I needed some silver for EG or something.

Massive Troll King
03-28-2017, 08:32 AM
Sold 3 fishspines for 500k a piece a few years back. Yeah me dumb.

Tenser
03-28-2017, 09:13 AM
I bought a 1x DB cloak that was further enchantable for 200m. I had to sell absolutely everything I owned to buy it. At the time breakage was a hot topic and going to be implemented 'real soon' and I figured at least I couldn't lose the cloak to breakage.

Luckily, I didn't blow up the cloak when I enchanted it to 10x but silvers were tough to come by then. It took me 2 years to recover and put together a decent set of equipment outside of the cloak.

Jhynnifer
03-28-2017, 09:33 AM
Ardwen once bought an airship.

Trumps every other private property complaint ever.

Methais
03-28-2017, 10:04 AM
I had a sharp vultite falchion (4x swcw) and some fag bard named Kniegha wanted to trade his "max crit weighted" backsword for it. I assumed "max weighted" meant that and didn't know shit about backswords sucking. Swapped weapons for a few for me to test it out, it sucked, and he never responded to anything after. I think the backsword ended up being swcw or maybe 1 rank less. Either way it was shit. Had to grind out a whole 750k to buy a new sharp vultite falchion.

Kniegha disappeared from the game for a while, came back some time later, I ended up fucking him over on something, reminded him of this deal, he talked shit and then I killed him. Didn't see him again for several years and I'm pretty sure he had a new owner then.

This wasn't such a bad deal after all now that I think about it.

Tyronebiggums
03-28-2017, 12:28 PM
20 million for an altered crystal amulet.

How?

loxe
03-28-2017, 01:02 PM
I have made quite a few purchases over the years that some would call ripoff but it was for things i really wanted so no big deal. Only once can i say i was ever ripped off was when i was very new to gemstone and was around level 15 still using a drake falchion and startup shield and armor, i had saved up 150k in silver and some guy on the amunet was selling an altered fishspine sword for 150k so i jumped on it and spent all my coins...turned out it was a dyed 0x shortsword. I was crushed.

Ceyrin
03-28-2017, 01:25 PM
I bought like 3000 50ct jars from this stupid merchant in Solhaven several years back for 2000 silver each and just stacked them all in my shop.

Worst. Purchase. Ever.

Whirlin
03-28-2017, 01:37 PM
I bought like 3000 50ct jars from this stupid merchant in Solhaven several years back for 2000 silver each and just stacked them all in my shop.

Worst. Purchase. Ever.
shop link?

Winter
03-28-2017, 01:50 PM
I spent my entire income on wands from the Alchemist shop when I first started which was a little over 1 million silvers, I was basically killing shades in the catacombs until level 20ish to sell their armour just so I could buy wands to fight like level things.

Tisket
03-28-2017, 03:07 PM
Sold the altered Dhu kitten that I had personally gotten off the Dhu for like 4-5M.

This was before the script got updated to let the kitten follow you and be all ambient and cute.

Major regrets. Though, at the time, the things were pretty cheap for a pet due to not really being ambient and still being fairly common. And I needed some silver for EG or something.

I can top that. I sold a 30ish character. After the new owner took possession I remembered the character had a Dhu kitten in a sack on her belt. I didn't try to get it back because I was quitting the game for a while but I did smack myself in the forehead.

Ceyrin
03-28-2017, 03:10 PM
shop link?

Ceyrin's shop has pretty much never been open since he bought it. It's pure storage and locked/barrier entrance space for him.

Axhinde
03-28-2017, 03:37 PM

Ditto, I had two that I sold for 2-3mil each. Now they're worth 10 times that. Bummer.

Candor
03-28-2017, 05:18 PM
I threw my Dhu kitten away. I didn't like it at the time, and had no idea that it would increase so much in value. From a silvers standpoint, this is the dumbest thing I ever did.

And before anyone accuses me of being a cat hater, I'm not. We have two cats and they are essentially in charge of the house.

Ososis
03-28-2017, 05:20 PM
I threw my Dhu kitten away. I didn't like it at the time, and had no idea that it would increase so much in value.

And before anyone accuses me of being a cat hater, I'm not. We have two cats and they are essentially in charge of the house.

Did you throw it down the well in a closed sack?

Candor
03-28-2017, 05:21 PM
Did you throw it down the well in a closed sack?

Exactly.

m444w
03-28-2017, 05:25 PM
You did the responsible thing. I wish all of these Dhu Kittens/Duskruin Rats, random screen scroll atrocities were removed from the game.

Ltlprprincess
03-28-2017, 05:26 PM
You did the responsible thing. I wish all of these Dhu Kittens/Duskruin Rats, random screen scroll atrocities were removed from the game.

Rude...

Candor
03-28-2017, 05:30 PM
Rude...

I regret the decision, not just because I threw a bunch of silvers away, but IRL I am not a cat hater. I have one purring on top of my printer right now (and yes, the printer is off...)

Gelston
03-28-2017, 05:32 PM

+1 at "Set ambients off" toggle instead of having to squelch everything line by line would be cool too.

Maylan
03-28-2017, 05:42 PM
+1 at "Set ambients off" toggle instead of having to squelch everything line by line would be cool too.

That would be very handy! Although in the meantime I do recommend heavy-handed squelching when it comes to ambients. It's cut back on a LOT of in-game clutter for me.

Amerek
03-28-2017, 05:47 PM
I bought a 1x DB cloak that was further enchantable for 200m. I had to sell absolutely everything I owned to buy it. At the time breakage was a hot topic and going to be implemented 'real soon' and I figured at least I couldn't lose the cloak to breakage.

Luckily, I didn't blow up the cloak when I enchanted it to 10x but silvers were tough to come by then. It took me 2 years to recover and put together a decent set of equipment outside of the cloak.

http://i.imgur.com/qPdqiIc.jpg

Gelston
03-28-2017, 05:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qPdqiIc.jpg

Yeah, that sounds like more of a brag to me.

Mogonis
03-28-2017, 06:06 PM
I overpay for oldstyle katanas! Unless they're glaes. Then I don't pay at all!

Fallen
03-28-2017, 06:19 PM

Yep, that the ability to ignore people playing instruments via the ignore verb.

https://media.giphy.com/media/cLhnnGx7YITyE/giphy.gif

Tenser
03-28-2017, 06:46 PM
Ok, maybe it turned out well.

If I would have left out the enchanting part of the story and said I paid 200m for a 1x db cloak it would have sounded better. I'm not a good storyteller I guess.

How about this one? I paid more than 100m in silver and enchanting services to become House Enchanter for Jakarta, only to have the 'management' of Jakarta boot me out of the house after a few months...after I had delivered what they wanted, but before I had a chance to gain any benefit from the house workshop.

m444w
03-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Yep, that the ability to ignore people playing instruments via the ignore verb.

https://media.giphy.com/media/cLhnnGx7YITyE/giphy.gif

along the same though, they should get rid of audience reps. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Gelston
03-28-2017, 07:09 PM
along the same though, they should get rid of audience reps. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Well, a long, long time ago... There were lots of people and fewer warriors. So audience reps weren't really a big deal as far as spam. Just pop into TSC or TSSW and pop off one rep and go do something else until you can do the next one. People were comnig and going so much from those rooms, and casting spells, and doing other crap that you'd barely notice it. There was a lot less ambient script type stuff back then too. I can just imagine the chaos if we still had those numbers today with the amount of items we have now.