PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Questions

SpunGirl
05-27-2005, 08:16 PM
Okay. I saw Episode Three last night and I have some questions on things that seemed like inconsistencies to me.

First off, the line in ... I forget which movie when Obi Wan says, "That boy is our last hope" (referring to Luke). Yoda replies, "no, there is another" (referring to Leia). If Obi Wan was there when the twins were born, and knew they were kept safely away, why does Yoda have to tell him that there is another?

Then, in Return of the Jedi, Luke is asking Leia about her mother. She says, "she just seemed sad most of the time." I always thought that was referring to Leia's real mother, so I was surprised when she died. If she was referring to her adoptive mother, why would she be sad all the time?

Someone who is a big Star Wars buff needs to answer!

-K

Drew
05-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
First off, the line in ... I forget which movie when Obi Wan says, "That boy is our last hope" (referring to Luke). Yoda replies, "no, there is another" (referring to Leia). If Obi Wan was there when the twins were born, and knew they were kept safely away, why does Yoda have to tell him that there is another?

Being a jedi is like being good at sports. Just because your dad is Michael Jordan doesn't mean you will be good enough to play in the NBA. Obi Wan doesn't know if Leia can use the force.

Then, in Return of the Jedi, Luke is asking Leia about her mother. She says, "she just seemed sad most of the time." I always thought that was referring to Leia's real mother, so I was surprised when she died. If she was referring to her adoptive mother, why would she be sad all the time?

Pre-natal memory. False memory. Take your pick.

Toxicvixen
05-27-2005, 08:30 PM
She could also be sad knowing Leia wasn't her natural born child. Something along those lines, or maybe because she knew who Leia's father really is. I would be sad if my adopted daughter came from the ultimate evil. Okay maybe not me, but a normal person would be. :D

StrayRogue
05-27-2005, 09:27 PM
Leia was referring to her adoptive mother.

Yoda may have been referring to either:
Leia
Her children
Darth Vader/Obi wan

Drinin
05-27-2005, 10:03 PM
First: Since seeing 3 I've just assumed that even though Obi Wan knew that Luke had a twin sister, he had no idea if she would be able to manipulate the force. Yoda seems more powerful and sensitive to shit like that, so I can buy that he knows.

Second: I just assumed that the force just kind of imparted a pre-natal memory into Leia.

CrystalTears
05-27-2005, 10:09 PM
I just figured Leia was referring to her adoptive mother when she recalls memories of her. She had a mother, biological or not, to remember even if just a fraction. Luke didn't have a mother at all so that's why he has no memory of her. Seemed logical to me at the time.

Although I will say that going back to watch Empire Strikes Back, Obi-Wan keeps mentioning how Yoda trained him. But he didn't, Qui-Gon did!

Numbers
05-27-2005, 10:20 PM
Obi-Wan probably thought that Leia was killed when Alderaan was destroyed.

Farquar
05-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
Although I will say that going back to watch Empire Strikes Back, Obi-Wan keeps mentioning how Yoda trained him. But he didn't, Qui-Gon did!

Obi-Wan's statements in the older movies aren't inconsistent with the newer films. While each young Jedi is a padawan to an older, more experienced master who acts as a mentor, they receive different types of training from a variety of other masters.

Some of the masters are much more skilled in one area of the force than the other (lightsaber forms vs. force manipulation). I would suggest Lighsaber 101 with Mace Windu and Intro to Force Manipulation with Master Yoda.

P.S. - I love Star Wars.

Vixen
05-27-2005, 10:43 PM
I could have swore Luke asked Leia about what she remembered about her "real" mother in the last one, but maybe I was hearing things, cause episiode three made me ask a bunch of questions regarding that same exact thing myself.

SpunGirl
05-28-2005, 12:01 AM
Okay, I have another question. If they fooled Vader into thinking Padme didn't give birth before she dies, how does he figure out that Luke is his? Episodes four, five and six don't really deal with that. I can buy that he knew through some mystical force-thing, but you'd think he'd be more surprised.

-K

Drinin
05-28-2005, 12:19 AM
Okay, I have another question. If they fooled Vader into thinking Padme didn't give birth before she dies, how does he figure out that Luke is his? Episodes four, five and six don't really deal with that. I can buy that he knew through some mystical force-thing, but you'd think he'd be more surprised.

-K

In V, the Emperor says something to the effect of, "I believe that he is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker" (obviously referring to Luke). Darth says something like, "How is that possible?", to which the Emperor replies with something about searching his feelings or something. It's at this point that I think Vader realizes that Luke is his son.

SpunGirl
05-28-2005, 12:26 AM
Ah! Must go back and re-watch. Thanks!

-K

Numbers
05-28-2005, 12:30 AM
Palpatine only says that in the updated original trilogy that was released 5 or 6 months ago. In the original, he only says something like "The son of Skywalker," and leaves it at that.

SpunGirl
05-28-2005, 12:58 AM
Now, I had thought all of these stories were written prior to being made into movies. Is that not correct? I'm not much of a Star Wars trivia person.

-K

Numbers
05-28-2005, 01:26 AM
According to Lucas, he's had the whole story in his head from the moment he put the pen to paper and wrote A New Hope.

According to anyone with a good knowledge of the movies and any sense of logic, it's obvious that Lucas has been flying blind for the past 30 years, and was just making shit up as he went along.

Parkbandit
05-28-2005, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by 3704558
According to Lucas, he's had the whole story in his head from the moment he put the pen to paper and wrote A New Hope.

According to anyone with a good knowledge of the movies and any sense of logic, it's obvious that Lucas has been flying blind for the past 30 years, and was just making shit up as he went along.

If he had the story in his head the entire time.. it makes ZERO sense that he would start in the middle of his story.. finish the story and then go back and tell the beginning half.

I think he did an excellent job tying the stories together.. but it is clear that the beginning was created after the initial 3 parts were done.

StrayRogue
05-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Not really. He originally had one BIG super film/story. It was very, very, very different than what eventually made it on to the screen. If you're a good researcher you can find the original treatments of I II and III. They are out there.

Why he made the middle three? Perhaps because they were a better story - had better characters? The first three is definately a prelude, a prologue to the Original Trilogy.

fallenSaint
05-28-2005, 09:21 AM
Okay. I saw Episode Three last night and I have some questions on things that seemed like inconsistencies to me.

Someone who is a big Star Wars buff needs to answer!

-K

Yea Lucas left some loop holes if you look too closely but I figure you can jusitfy it in a few various ways...

As someone mentioned Yoda has a stronger ability to sense force adepts leaving Obi-Wan to possibly not know Leia had obtained skill.

And since Luke uses the damn line of your "real" mother makes it hard to say he is trying to referr to orgama(sp) but you could always play with the fact that the force is all binding and as someone dies their essence goes into the force and such shit and as she was born she felt Padme's sorrow and loss of will to live.

Yoda does give him training at the end of Episode 3 as into the finer points of returning back after death aka Blue Glowy.

-K

Vadar isnt much for showing many emotions like being surprised even when Emporer drops the hint. Gives him that badass appeal doesnt it?

/deposits his two credits

[Edited on 5-28-2005 by fallenSaint]

CrystalTears
05-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by fallenSaint

Yoda does give him training at the end of Episode 3 as into the finer points of returning back after death aka Blue Glowy.

Oh yeah, the training consisted of "Go and find Qui-Gon as he will teach you more about the afterlife" (paraphrased, of course).

Perhaps he taught him things here and there but with the way those two carried on in 5 and 6, it made you feel as though Yoda did most of the training, not Qui-Gon, unless Yoda trained him while they were in seclusion, who knows.

fallenSaint
05-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Perhaps he taught him things here and there but with the way those two carried on in 5 and 6, it made you feel as though Yoda did most of the training, not Qui-Gon, unless Yoda trained him while they were in seclusion, who knows.

I haven't read too much of the bookwork in there but Im assuming Yoda gave him training on more presence of the force in which on how to speak with afterlife.

And the way I look at it Obi and Yoda both favored the passive lives of a Jedi and regarded such trainings for the meditative steps highly so he concidered Yoda's teachings more valuble than the basics he recieved from Qui-gon... or Im thinking a bit far into this and we can fall back on Lucas could give a shit that his storys clash, he is filthy rich.

Warriorbird
05-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Maybe he trained him during the 2/3 beard growing interim.