PDA

View Full Version : MoC Roundtime

Erous
03-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Need some help from the math wizzes in trying to decide on lance vs. maul for combat based on weapon swing related to MoC. Assuming base AGI/DEX bonus for 5 second lance RT, coupled with 55 MoC for triple single target mstrike, partnered with a max light weapon, what would be the roundtime differences for 3 targets?

Today, my elf will swing a lance at 3 targets in 12 seconds with the above factored in. Does anyone know the difference a maul would make? Would it be a 2 second difference due to the base RT being 2 seconds faster than a lance?

There's heavy historical debate above maul vs lance with arguably similar AvD, albeit lance being 2 seconds slower but while still providing a DS bonus based on the polearm skill. In the end, I'm trying to maximize swings while yielding the most overall damage. Any thoughts?

Aganii
03-08-2017, 11:23 AM
There will be a 2 second difference due to the base RT being lower for the maul. With -4 AGIDEX (5 second lance swing) your max mstrike RT will be 10 seconds with a maul.

Erous
03-08-2017, 02:09 PM
There will be a 2 second difference due to the base RT being lower for the maul. With -4 AGIDEX (5 second lance swing) your max mstrike RT will be 10 seconds with a maul.

Got it, so it is driven by the base RT regardless. Might behoove me then to grab more AGI/DEX bonus enhancives instead and stick with the lance to buy myself more swing time but we'll see

Whirlin
03-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Got it, so it is driven by the base RT regardless. Night behoove me then to grab more AGI/DEX bonus enhancives instead and stick with the lance to buy myself more swing time but we'll see
Additionally, while the RT with 2 swings may appear to be a bit disadvantageous, it's worth noting that RT will never increase past your RT when you reach 3 swings (which seems to typically round out to 2xRT with heavier weapons) for either focused or open mstrikes. So, if you're going to go MOC, go big!

Goat
03-20-2017, 01:26 PM
Might behoove me then to grab more AGI/DEX bonus enhancives instead and stick with the lance to buy myself more swing time but we'll see

It's worth noting that RT will never increase past your RT when you reach 3 swings (which seems to typically round out to 2xRT with heavier weapons) for either focused or open mstrikes. So, if you're going to go MOC, go big!
FWIW I swing a lance and find targeted 4-strike and unfocused 5-strike quite useful. I do have a -6 AGIDEX with it, though, thanks to enhancives. So 10 seconds max RT. One nice surprise about mstrike RT is that encumbrance won't make you surpass your max. The 8-second 2-strike is also moderately useful.

One other upside of the maul is it'll have a slightly faster recovery time, and use less stamina when mstruck during recovery time (I think). Moving even further away from your original question, maul also figures to be a lot easier to aim, and maul headshots guarantee a death crit at a high enough endroll (for lances, it's only like 90% of the time, heh). Finally, while it's been a long time since I ran the numbers, I had the impression that pole's flat DS bonus and THW's scaling DS bonus ended up giving a pretty similar result at high levels.

I find it fun to sometimes use a fusion naginata (with AGIDEX orbs) instead, with a 6 sec max mstrike RT. It's a 5-10% loss in damage per second, but less time spent immobile in a chunk of RT, and the lance 4-strike is overkill on many creatures. (And again, much quicker recovery/lower stamina cost).

gilchristr
03-24-2017, 02:19 AM
I was hunting using spears and tridents in 2handed mode up to about 45 trains.

When I got triple mstrike, I eventually realized that I was actually hunting better in 1H mode on some monsters due to the reduced roundtime, the reduced stamina, and the faster recovery. Those advantages more than made up for the loss of DF (and actually a trident has pretty good one hand DF on chain and lighter, some of the best one hand DFs in the game [though tridents suck on plate]). This was as a giantman with max round time reduction from agi/dex enhancives.