PDA

View Full Version : Official: Animate Dead Document released!

Fallen
12-21-2004, 11:58 PM
This post was copied from the official boards...Sorcerers rejoice, lesser professions...complain.

Animate Dead (730) Document · on 12/21/2004 10:11:14 PM 941

As promised, I'm releasing the Animate Dead (730) document. All my favorite disclaimers apply. This is how the spell functions in testing today and it could change before or after release. I will do my best to answer questions, but for the most part, many of your questions are ones that need to be answered by actually trying the spell. Did I mention how cool this spell is? :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Animate Dead (730)

Mnemonic: ADEAD

Duration: Special

Type: Attack

The animation of a corpse is not a simple procedure. Animation requires intensive preparation by a skilled sorcerer, who has proper knowledge of alchemy, and the appropriate ingredients to make the animation work.

Before beginning the animation process, a corpse must be preserved properly. To do this, the sorcerer must first collect ocean water with a vial (COLLECT WATER WITH VIAL) and then pour it into a mortar. Next, the sorcerer must acquire the blood of a troll (COLLECT BLOOD FROM <troll-type-creature> WITH VIAL), which holds much of the regenerative properties for the animation process, and pour it into the mortar. Finally, the sorcerer must put a moonflower into the mortar. This flower, which is rumored to have magical properties, only blooms at night and can be found in arctic climates with cultivated environments. The sorcerer must grind this mixture up with a pestle until he has a homogenous solution (PUSH MOONFLOWER WITH PESTLE, then PUSH MASH WITH PESTLE).

The sorcerer must set the solution aflame by casting the Dark Catalyst (719) spell at the solution, which creates crystals used to preserve the corpse for the animation process. Sprinkle the crystals over the body (SPREAD CRYSTALS ON <creature|character>). After preservation, the corpse must be magically imbued with the ability to be animated. To do so, the sorcerer must be holding a gem while casting the Animate Dead spell at the corpse.

Animate Dead works off a concept called Maximum Animatable Level (MAL). This means that if a creature is above your Maximum Animatable Level, it is not animatable. The MAL is based on the sorcerer's level, Sorcerous Lore, Necromancy ranks, and the quality of crystals used. The quality of crystals is based on the Sorcerous Lore, Necromancy ranks of the sorcerer who created it (it is possible to use crystals created by another sorcerer) and the level of the creature from which the components for it were gathered. Training in Mana Control, Elemental and Mana Control, Spiritual also contributes to the success of animation.

When animating creatures, the duration is based on the number of levels the sorcerer's MAL is above the creature being animated. For example, a level 90 sorcerer animating a level 10 creature will have a very long duration. Another important factor in duration is the level of animation success. This is based on d100 warding roll, Sorcerous Lore, Necromancy ranks, and the Discipline stat. The final duration factor lies in the value of the gem that was used in the alchemic process. Gems with higher value will add to animation duration. Any gem used with a value below 600 silvers will decrease the duration.

The duration for animating a player character (PC) is 10 minutes + 4 seconds for every Sorcerous Lore, Necromancy rank known. Gem value is also a factor in PC duration, but it is less of a factor than when animating creatures.

Tip: It is not possible to animate non-corporeal creatures (such as banshees) or elemental-type creatures (such as stone sentinels). It is also not possible to animate golems. Additionally, it is not possible to animate a creature or player character (PC) that has been recently animated.

Animate Creature Commands

1) TELL ANIMATE TO ATTACK <creature|player>
Animate begins attacking the specified target and will do so in the manner it normally does when not controlled by the sorcerer.

2) TELL ANIMATE TO FOLLOW
Animate follows you on every turn. Using this command again will stop the animate from following.

3) TELL ANIMATE TO MAGIC
Animate casts a random defensive spell at its master if in the same room.

4) TELL ANIMATE TO GO <direction>
Animate moves in specified direction.

5) TELL ANIMATE TO GET <item>
Animate picks up directed item. Maximum item capacity is 2.

6) TELL ANIMATE TO DROP <item>
Animate drops directed item.

7) TELL ANIMATE TO GUARD
Animate goes into attack mode on any creatures that attack its master.

8) TELL ANIMATE TO STOP
Animate stops last command

9) TELL ANIMATE TO DIE
Dismisses the animate.

Animate PC Commands

1) TELL ANIMATE TO GO <direction>
Animate moves in specified direction.

2) TELL ANIMATE TO SIT

3) TELL ANIMATE TO LIE (down)

4) TELL ANIMATE TO STAND

5) TELL ANIMATE TO FOLLOW
Animate follows you on every turn. Using this command again will stop the animate from following.

6) TELL ANIMATE TO DIE
Dismisses the animate.

This message was originally posted in Sorcerers, Sorcerous Lore - Necromancy. To discuss the above follow the link below.

http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=27&topic=6&message =1343

Fallen
12-22-2004, 12:01 AM
...............Nevermind about the rejoice and complain part....

Finally, the sorcerer must put a moonflower into the mortar. This flower, which is rumored to have magical properties, only blooms at night and can be found in arctic climates with cultivated environments. The sorcerer must grind this mixture up with a pestle until he has a homogenous solution (PUSH MOONFLOWER WITH PESTLE, then PUSH MASH WITH PESTLE).

WTF?

Praefection
12-22-2004, 12:28 AM
I could be wrong and without checking I'm pretty sure you can find blue moonflowers (or something along those lines) in the Manor garden in Ta'Illistim.

Syberus
12-22-2004, 12:45 AM
manor garden? where is that...?

Praefection
12-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Veythorne (I know I slaughtered that spelling) is close to the bank. I think it's west, north once or twice, northeast twice and south. Then through a walkway/pathway. During the weekend only citizians can get in and pure elves. During the week anyone can.

Once inside the manor you need to head north until you find a gate, go through it and look around for a moonflower. You'll need to GET it, otherwise you won't find any.

My directions most likely aren't exact but they'll do.

Marl
12-22-2004, 01:27 AM
wonder if a PC can depart while animated? Be a fun new way to bring home the deaders heh

Letum
12-22-2004, 04:18 AM
Can always animate people who don't want to be if you catch them off guard with their group open. Of course, being an EN sorcerer, it really doesnt matter to me for shit.

Parkbandit
12-22-2004, 08:19 AM
Well that explains the part of being overpowered. From that detail, it looks like a very fun spell for sorcerers that won't have the rest of the players up in arms about it's power.

Dionisius
12-23-2004, 03:15 AM
I think people get "overpowered" mixed up with "DAMN thats a really cool spell"

Fallen
12-25-2004, 06:06 PM
Some Updates...

I made moonflowers bundleable in our development game tonight. Pending QC that should go out when the spell does.

Nilven

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances as though they were realities and are often more influenced by things that seem than by those that are." -- Machiavelli

----

I'll be working on jars or beakers or something to store more than one dosage of troll blood and water some time tomorrow.

Nilven

"The great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearances as though they were realities and are often more influenced by things that seem than by those that are." -- Machiavelli

Fallen
12-30-2004, 07:39 PM
A few updates...

If your animate kills something and you injure the thing along the way you get the normal amount of experience you would as if you had injured something and another player killed it. If your animate helps you kill something and you deal the death blow, you get the same experience as if another player had injured it and you killed it. Meaning, you get the normal experience, you don't get the double up experience from the animate's work.

Nilven

----

<<<<<<<I think they mean, if the animate kills it and you deal no blows, do you get exp? >>>>>>

No.

Nilven

Fallen
12-31-2004, 02:45 AM
Yet more Updates...

-----

>I have one question...can we implement a command to make the animate spell itself up? As has been alluded to in previous posts; many creatures are only viable for their level because of the spells they have. To deny animates access to their own personal spells is to basically force us to use animates significantly below the effective level of the original creature. That's problematic for many, and obvious, reasons.<

No.

They do it themselves in their down time. If they are not being ordered to do anything like attack or spell up their owner, they spell themselves up if they are missing any of the spells normally available to them.

Nilven