PDA

View Full Version : Phone Calls

GSLeloo
09-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Ok this is all I have to say... what is with the stupid telemarketers that just keep calling and calling and calling, despite the fact that it's 7 AM or 9 PM and can never leave a message. Or the people who call and you're running to get the phone and they just hang up without waiting for the answering machine or anything. Or the stupid people that let it ring once and then hang up just so you can go crazy at how annoying these people are!

theotherjohn
09-10-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by GSLeloo
Ok this is all I have to say... what is with the stupid telemarketers that just keep calling and calling and calling, despite the fact that it's 7 AM or 9 PM and can never leave a message. Or the people who call and you're running to get the phone and they just hang up without waiting for the answering machine or anything. Or the stupid people that let it ring once and then hang up just so you can go crazy at how annoying these people are!

the national do not call list starts october 1st so hopefully that will help your problem

Bobmuhthol
09-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Uhh.. the National Do-Not-Call List has been running for a while, a telemarketer has already been sued for violating it.

09-10-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Bobmuhthol
Uhh.. the National Do-Not-Call List has been running for a while, a telemarketer has already been sued for violating it.

It has also been failing for a while.

A telemarketer was sued, yeah... but tens of thousands of violations slip by daily.

It's like the RIAA trying to police mp3 downloads. Not gonna work.

GSLeloo
09-10-2003, 10:15 PM
All I know is we have so many calls that come up as "Unavailable" (like all telemarketers do) that it fills up our caller id. Plus it's not just telemarketers.. it's idiots that just are too scared to talk to you and hang up after one ring. Like as typing this I just got ANOTHER of those calls.

Snapp
09-10-2003, 10:36 PM
I feel your pain! Its gotten so bad, my home phone is rarely even plugged in anymore. Thank god for the cell.

EDIT: And yes I'm on the "dont call" list.. and I still get calls :o

[Edited on 9-11-2003 by Snapp]

Scott
09-10-2003, 10:38 PM
I'm on the do not call list and I recieve maybe 1-2 telemarketer calls a month.......

GS4Gurl
09-10-2003, 10:39 PM
We got rid of our home phones and just use our cell phones.

ElvenRangeress
09-10-2003, 10:47 PM
STOP CALLING YOU MOTHER FUDGER! and hang up.

09-10-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by ElvenRangeress
STOP CALLING YOU MOTHER FUDGER! and hang up.

*ring!*

ElvenRangeress
09-10-2003, 10:51 PM
hehe, they do that too, you hang up, they call five more times, and its always when i'm busy (smirks)

Vesi
09-10-2003, 11:16 PM
There were state 'do not call lists' that were already in effect, but the official National Do Not Call Registry goes into effect 10-01-03. (if you're already signed up) If you sign up after 09-01-03 it is 3 months after you register. See here to sign up and for other information:

http://www.donotcall.gov/

Almost all my unknown numbers on my caller ID don't get answered. As for someone that might be local and just calling to bother you, then activate your anonymous call block. It's free and then when you do get an anonymous call, just don't answer because it's probably a telemarketer. I'm very good at ignoring my phone.

I just can't wait for all the junk mail I'll be getting instead of phone calls. :rolleyes:

Vesi

GSLeloo
09-10-2003, 11:17 PM
Well I feel bad hanging up on them... because it is true that they're just trying to make a living, even if it is based upon bugging the crap out of me. I just hate that they call when I have a headache or I'm fighting with someone or PMSing... LEAVE ME ALONE!

HarmNone
09-10-2003, 11:28 PM
I love the ones who leave their bloody messages on my answering machine! Excuse me! Did my message say that if you are selling something I am not interested? I believe it did. Now, get the f*ck out of my life!

HarmNone snarls

Makkah
09-10-2003, 11:31 PM
One called me once... they baited me into giving some personal information out. I finally realized what was going on... the guy asked: "Sir, what is your source of income?"

So I replied, "I selll drugs."
He uncomfortably laughed then said "You're kidding, right?"
To which I replied, "No... I'm not." and I hung up.

They never re-called.

rht

ElvenRangeress
hehe, now thats funny ;o)

Vesi
Originally posted by HarmNone
I love the ones who leave their bloody messages on my answering machine! Excuse me! Did my message say that if you are selling something I am not interested? I believe it did. Now, get the f*ck out of my life!

HarmNone snarls

All mine left on my voice mail are recordings. That's annoying.

Vesi

Scott
09-10-2003, 11:32 PM
The best ones are. Mr. Soandso, this is not a call to sell you something. Blah blah blah. So can I sign you up for the low payments of $20 a month?

ElvenRangeress
09-10-2003, 11:35 PM
haha! exactly!

HarmNone
09-10-2003, 11:37 PM
Well, I am on the do-not-call list. I avidly await October 1. Perhaps it will not work. Perhaps it will. Perhaps it will help to some minor degree. Perhaps I shall have to find a way to set my telephone to implode caller on command. :D

HarmNone...except those who invade my peace

Tendarian
09-11-2003, 12:10 AM
Once i got a call and they asked if someone with my first name was home and i said yes. They then asked if i was him and i said yes. They then asked if i was my full name and i said yes. Then they said it was the wrong number and hung up. Im a tad paranoid so i was waiting for someone to come running in and shoot me or somethin hehe. My girlfriend called the number on the caller id and the number was disconnected. Freaked me out for a week!

09-11-2003, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by Tendarian
Once i got a call and they asked if someone with my first name was home and i said yes. They then asked if i was him and i said yes. They then asked if i was my full name and i said yes. Then they said it was the wrong number and hung up. Im a tad paranoid so i was waiting for someone to come running in and shoot me or somethin hehe. My girlfriend called the number on the caller id and the number was disconnected. Freaked me out for a week!

Oh, that was me. Sorry man.

Tendarian
09-11-2003, 05:03 AM
Damn you!

09-11-2003, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Tendarian
Damn you!

LoL!

Prestius
09-11-2003, 06:10 AM
Here's something I did that radically reduced the number of stupid-ass telemarketing calls I get. I went out and found an MP3 of the 3-tone "Do-do-dee" that you hear when you call a number that's disconnected. Then I put that short little thing right at the beginning of my answering machine message. The rest of my message is just my standard "I'm not here, leave a message" message.

When the telemarketing predictive dialing computers call your number they hear that tone and immediately mark your number as disconnected. It's reduced the number of spam calls I get dramatically. That's pretty much exactly what those "Tele-Zappers", which are essentially overpriced tone-generators do.

-P

09-11-2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Prestius
Here's something I did that radically reduced the number of stupid-ass telemarketing calls I get. I went out and found an MP3 of the 3-tone "Do-do-dee" that you hear when you call a number that's disconnected. Then I put that short little thing right at the beginning of my answering machine message. The rest of my message is just my standard "I'm not here, leave a message" message.

When the telemarketing predictive dialing computers call your number they hear that tone and immediately mark your number as disconnected. It's reduced the number of spam calls I get dramatically. That's pretty much exactly what those "Tele-Zappers", which are essentially overpriced tone-generators do.

-P

That's cool, but what if you don't have an answering machine?