PDA

View Full Version : Pistols

Gelston
02-03-2017, 03:20 AM
So I may be getting a job as a cop where I have to buy my own pistol. I'm currently looking at getting a CZ P-09 in 9mm. I've read some good reviews of it, and hell, it holds 19+1. I've always preferred .45, but the sheer amount of ammo this pistol carries has me leaning towards it. Accuracy is great and all (which this pistol is said to also be pretty good at) but a pistol able to hold 20 rounds is a damn fine thing.

I know it is a reach with a lot of you nerds on here, but anyone have any experience with this weapon? Anyone have better suggestions?

drauz
02-03-2017, 04:26 AM
I love my Sig Sauer P226, I believe its the standard issue for VA state police. Have you checked if they allow you to use your personal weapon? I know some departments don't allow it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c1/e3/83/c1e383b194e93d17d1734f598d25abe0.jpg

Gelston
02-03-2017, 04:37 AM
I love my Sig Sauer P226, I believe its the standard issue for VA state police. Have you checked if they allow you to use your personal weapon? I know some departments don't allow it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/c1/e3/83/c1e383b194e93d17d1734f598d25abe0.jpg

They require you to provide your own sidearm. I was looking at those as well.

I was looking at the Sig P320 also, but I've always been hesitant of striker-fired weapons.

the only complaints I've found for the P 09 is that it is big bodied, so not good for concealed... But as a Cop I won't be using it for concealed.

Ceyrin
02-03-2017, 05:15 AM

I was looking at the Sig P320 also, but I've always been hesitant of striker-fired weapons.

the only complaints I've found for the P 09 is that it is big bodied, so not good for concealed... But as a Cop I won't be using it for concealed.

Upside of the Sig is the SRT, which I'd take over the additional capacity you're looking at for that CZ pile.

Also, in what circumstance do you envision yourself having to actually discharge 19+1 rounds and then possibly reloading?

Gelston
02-03-2017, 05:18 AM
Upside of the Sig is the SRT, which I'd take over the additional capacity you're looking at for that CZ pile.

Also, in what circumstance do you envision yourself having to actually discharge 19+1 rounds and then possibly reloading?

Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Ceyrin
02-03-2017, 05:20 AM
Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

Fair enough. I'm more of a fan of blowing my load all at once, so the SRT is where it's at for me. Especially in any kind of circumstance I can imagine where I'd rather have it and not need it.

drauz
02-03-2017, 05:24 AM

What about the Sig SP2022? It's hammer fired.

Gelston
02-03-2017, 05:27 AM
What about the Sig SP2022? It's hammer fired.

The French police use it, so I know it can handle being dropped! Sigs are all definitely on my list to check out. I plan to get a list of stuff to rent at the range and fire off later.

I'm just glad yall aren't saying "dur1911dur!!!" like this FB group I'm in.

drauz
02-03-2017, 05:29 AM
The French police use it, so I know it can handle being dropped! Sigs are all definitely on my list to check out. I plan to get a list of stuff to rent at the range and fire off later.

I'm just glad yall aren't saying "dur1911dur!!!" like this FB group I'm in.

Its reasonably priced at around $500 as well.

I'm biased though, I love my Sig.

Gelston
02-03-2017, 05:31 AM
Its reasonably priced at around $500 as well.

I'm biased though, I love my Sig.

Yeah, it feels like there are only 3 types of people on the planets, Sig lovers, Glock lovers, and everyone else. I've never cared for Glocks though. I'll probably wind up with a Sig, just because they are more commercially available and the mags are slightly cheaper.

drauz
02-03-2017, 06:02 AM
Yeah, it feels like there are only 3 types of people on the planets, Sig lovers, Glock lovers, and everyone else. I've never cared for Glocks though. I'll probably wind up with a Sig, just because they are more commercially available and the mags are slightly cheaper.

The shop 2 blocks from my work makes silencers. I'm like a kid in a candy shop when I go in there.

Enuch
02-03-2017, 06:40 AM
Curious about this and you don't have to tell me or us if you don't want. Also don't say the name (I know you're not stupid) but what force would require that? Is this an auxiliary role or contracted role? I feel like for their personal liability they would provide the firearm unless you had an auxiliary role or if it was a small/under funded PD.

Pure curiosity and feel free to tell me to eat a shart or pound sand

Gelston
02-03-2017, 06:42 AM
Curious about this and you don't have to tell me or us if you don't want. Also don't say the name (I know you're not stupid) but what force would require that? Is this an auxiliary role or contracted role? I feel like for their personal liability they would provide the firearm unless you had an auxiliary role or if it was a small/under funded PD.

Pure curiosity and feel free to tell me to eat a shart or pound sand

It is a smaller PD, I think it has like 8 or 9 total officers, and yeah, I found it to be strange. Before I go to the academy though, they said I will need to purchase my own firearm. I'm cool with it though.

Enuch
02-03-2017, 06:42 AM
The shop 2 blocks from my work makes silencers. I'm like a kid in a candy shop when I go in there.

Pet peeve of mine, they are magazines and not clips and they are suppressors and not silencers. Don't own a gun and can barely fire anything outside of a shotgun but when I was working at the NRA those two things drove me bananas.

Gelston
02-03-2017, 06:44 AM
Pet peeve of mine, they are magazines and not clips and they are suppressors and not silencers. Don't own a gun and can barely fire anything outside of a shotgun but when I was working at the NRA those two things drove me bananas.

Haha, I always had to explain the difference between a clip and a magazine to some of my more artsy friends. One now takes pictures for a website for a gun manufacturer.

Enuch
02-03-2017, 06:45 AM
Makes sense for a small PD. Good luck and be safe. Don't have the balls to do what you do especially in this climate. While I don't live in your community I admire your duty to your local folks

Gelston
02-03-2017, 06:51 AM
Makes sense for a small PD. Good luck and be safe. Don't have the balls to do what you do especially in this climate. While I don't live in your community I admire your duty to your local folks

Thanks. I'd like to say it is all about serving my community, a part of it is, but a large part is that all other jobs just seem so dull dull dull.

Ceyrin
02-03-2017, 06:52 AM
It is a smaller PD, I think it has like 8 or 9 total officers, and yeah, I found it to be strange. Before I go to the academy though, they said I will need to purchase my own firearm. I'm cool with it though.

http://static.srcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/Super-Troopers-Broken-Lizard.jpg

First thought that came to mind.

In all seriousness though, use whatever you're most comfortable with and if you're unsure, find out what that is.

It probably goes without saying but, if you're potentially risking your life, use the maximum protection allowable by law that works for you, without exception.

Gelston
02-03-2017, 06:56 AM
Oh yeah, I'm definitely going to get something I am comfortable with and something that is dependable.

And I'd love to work in a real life Super Troopers department.

loxe
02-03-2017, 06:56 AM
I carry a Walther PPQ m2 chambered for .40sw. I have found this to be the most comfortable handgun I have ever fired, and the accuracy is fantastic.

P.s. I have put over a thousand rounds of all makes through it and have never had a jam or fail.

Gelston
02-03-2017, 06:57 AM
I carry a Walther PPQ m2 chambered for .40sw. I have found this to be the most comfortable handgun I have ever fired, and the accuracy is fantastic.

You prefer the .40 over 9mm? I've had people tell me they don't like it, but never told me why. From what I've read it is very similar to the 9mm, just a tad more lethal.

Enuch
02-03-2017, 08:52 AM
Also think about reaching out to a vendor rep, those manufacturers usually have LE discounts so if you can show what it is for they usually take 20% off

Gelston
02-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Also think about reaching out to a vendor rep, those manufacturers usually have LE discounts so if you can show what it is for they usually take 20% off

That is a good idea. I'll see about that.

Androidpk
02-03-2017, 09:43 AM
Between the Glock 19 and S&W .40 that I shoot I prefer the Glock.

Androidpk
02-03-2017, 09:44 AM
Is it a bring your own long rifle too?

Gelston
02-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Is it a bring your own long rifle too?

No rifles. :(

Taernath
02-03-2017, 10:04 AM
I feel like we just talked about this elsewhere, but I carried a Sig 228 in 9mm for plainclothes and a 226 .40 for open and I really recommend them. There isn't a big difference between .40 and 9mm except for cost and amount of rounds you can carry, both of which 9mm wins out. I'd rather be able to place more rounds on target than some mythical 'damage' boost.

p.s. to really impress your department, tell them you want to carry a .50 Desert Eagle.

Gelston
02-03-2017, 10:11 AM
I feel like we just talked about this elsewhere, but I carried a Sig 228 in 9mm for plainclothes and a 226 .40 for open and I really recommend them. There isn't a big difference between .40 and 9mm except for cost and amount of rounds you can carry, both of which 9mm wins out. I'd rather be able to place more rounds on target than some mythical 'damage' boost.

p.s. to really impress your department, tell them you want to carry a .50 Desert Eagle.

No, I'm going to get a vest with 10 holsters and carry 10 derringers.

Ceyrin
02-03-2017, 10:30 AM
The backslide here is really astonishing.

Gelston
02-03-2017, 10:32 AM
Want

http://grabagun.com/cz-p-09-9mm-gry-19-1-threaded-ns.html

Androidpk
02-03-2017, 10:33 AM

With the extended barrel

drauz
02-03-2017, 10:33 AM
No, I'm going to get a vest with 10 holsters and carry 10 derringers.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/trigun/images/2/2b/DerringerMeryl.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120113173424

drauz
02-03-2017, 10:34 AM
With the extended barrel

http://i.imgur.com/Ic3vJ3B.gif

Taernath
02-03-2017, 10:38 AM
The backslide here is really astonishing.

?

With the extended barrel

I always use foregrip + dexterity for my pistol loadouts.

Ceyrin
02-03-2017, 11:27 AM
Want

http://grabagun.com/cz-p-09-9mm-gry-19-1-threaded-ns.html

So ugly.

Shaps
02-03-2017, 01:24 PM
Why do I have this picture of Gelston running around looking like Il Duce from Boondock Saints in my head.

Tisket
02-03-2017, 02:23 PM
I don't know why but I always visualize Gelly as full-bearded. Are cops allowed to have a full beard? I swear I saw a picture of you with a hairy ass face but maybe I am remembering wrong.

Methais
02-03-2017, 02:54 PM
So I may be getting a job as a cop where I have to buy my own pistol. I'm currently looking at getting a CZ P-09 in 9mm. I've read some good reviews of it, and hell, it holds 19+1. I've always preferred .45, but the sheer amount of ammo this pistol carries has me leaning towards it. Accuracy is great and all (which this pistol is said to also be pretty good at) but a pistol able to hold 20 rounds is a damn fine thing.

I know it is a reach with a lot of you nerds on here, but anyone have any experience with this weapon? Anyone have better suggestions?

Backlash should be selling his gun any day now.

Or just do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vom9iLDfb-Y

Warriorbird
02-03-2017, 04:20 PM
I don't know why but I always visualize Gelly as full-bearded. Are cops allowed to have a full beard? I swear I saw a picture of you with a hairy ass face but maybe I am remembering wrong.

I thought he had a beard too.

Tisket
02-03-2017, 04:26 PM
He needs to post a video of him shaving it off.

Jeril
02-03-2017, 04:27 PM
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/trigun/images/2/2b/DerringerMeryl.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120113173424

That's what came to mind for me too. Gelston probably dresses up like that on the weekends.

Taernath
02-03-2017, 05:10 PM
That's what came to mind for me too. Gelston probably dresses up like that on the weekends.

He dresses up in a kilt on weekends.

Wrathbringer
02-03-2017, 05:18 PM
He needs to post a video of hot chicks shaving it off.

Ftfy.

Gelston
02-03-2017, 06:57 PM
So ugly.

Most important is that it gets the job done... I also think it is a thing of beauty, but you know what they say about opinions.

I shaved it off a while ago, when I started doing interviews.

Thondalar
02-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Haven't read the last few pages, but if nobody else mentioned it, I'd add the Springfield XDM in either 9mm or .40 to your "test" list. Buddy of mine has one, and I really like shooting it. As much as it would make my father roll over in his grave, I'd also add the Beretta 92 series or even M9A3 to that list.

Your idea on the first page is the best, though...go to a place that lets you rent, try out a few different ones, see which one fits you "best".

I fall into the "1911" category you mentioned earlier, but I still carry a S&W Shield in .40 for my daily. That's mainly because I'm a shorts and t-shirt beach bum 90% of the time, and that thing is easy as shit to carry...I'm also of the opinion that having a huge magazine capacity isn't always a great thing. If you find a sidearm that fits your hand well, points easily, has sights you like, and puts the rounds where you want them...I'd rather have 14 rounds and put each one exactly where I want it than have 20 and miss half the time.

Gelston
02-03-2017, 07:24 PM
Haven't read the last few pages, but if nobody else mentioned it, I'd add the Springfield XDM in either 9mm or .40 to your "test" list. Buddy of mine has one, and I really like shooting it. As much as it would make my father roll over in his grave, I'd also add the Beretta 92 series or even M9A3 to that list.

Your idea on the first page is the best, though...go to a place that lets you rent, try out a few different ones, see which one fits you "best".

I fall into the "1911" category you mentioned earlier, but I still carry a S&W Shield in .40 for my daily. That's mainly because I'm a shorts and t-shirt beach bum 90% of the time, and that thing is easy as shit to carry...I'm also of the opinion that having a huge magazine capacity isn't always a great thing. If you find a sidearm that fits your hand well, points easily, has sights you like, and puts the rounds where you want them...I'd rather have 14 rounds and put each one exactly where I want it than have 20 and miss half the time.

I didn't want to get an 1911 mostly because they are SA and I really want a higher capacity. I currently have a 1911 and love it, but I don't really see it as a duty weapon. Right now my list is...

CZ P-09
Glock 17 variant
FNX-9
P229
P320
... Might add the Springfield XDM to it aswell.

I'm not really interested in Berettas... I do have a lot of experience with the M9 from the military, and it isn't something I prefer.

SonoftheNorth
02-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Glock 17

Thondalar
02-03-2017, 07:39 PM
I didn't want to get an 1911 mostly because they are SA and I really want a higher capacity. I currently have a 1911 and love it, but I don't really see it as a duty weapon. Right now my list is...

CZ P-09
Glock 17 variant
FNX-9
P229
P320
... Might add the Springfield XDM to it aswell.

I'm not really interested in Berettas... I do have a lot of experience with the M9 from the military, and it isn't something I prefer.

Ah, yeah, forgot about your military experience, you probably know the Beretta quite well.

But, that's exactly my point...I was raised on the 1911, my father wouldn't suffer the presence of a Beretta, raised holy hell when the Army switched to it. Took me a long time to ever shoot one, but when I did, I discovered that I actually liked it. It still isn't my favorite, but I could see myself carrying one in a military or law enforcement capacity and being alright with it.

I'd also add the new Ruger American Pistol to your list, even though its striker-fired...never really been a ruger guy, but I went out on a limb and bought one of the new American Rifles in .223 for a varmint gun for the farm, and they really seem to have stepped their game up. I haven't actually used the new pistols yet, but they seem to be getting some fairly decent reviews from Gun Tests and other non-"Shooting Times" publications I actually trust.

Androidpk
03-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Did you pick one yet?

Taernath
03-10-2017, 11:53 PM
Did you pick one yet?

He got a Kolibri on account of his dainty hands.

Androidpk
03-11-2017, 12:17 AM
He got a Kolibri on account of his dainty hands.

:lol:

kutter
03-13-2017, 09:44 PM
Ok, some thought, I have 3 Sig pistols, a 2340 in .40 S&W, a 229 in 9MM, and a 226 in 357 SIG, I love all of them for various reasons. The 2340, which is the predecessor to the 2022, now replaced by something else I think, maybe the 250, anyway, my 2340 has the best trigger of all my Sig's, hands down. Having said that, being a polymer frame chambered in .40 it is the most difficult to control recoil wise. My 229 is nice, but it just sort of is what it is, a great pistol chambered in a good round, a great CCW and open carry pistol. My 226 is the one the stirs my soul, 357 SIG is a wonderful round, great feeding, lots of stopping power, but expensive unless you reload for it, which I do. Being a full size all metal pistol, recoil is great, and not nearly as snappy as .40.

For you folks that love .40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuiePszwaho

Gelston
03-13-2017, 10:21 PM
Did you pick one yet?

Oh, nah. I might actually be signing on with a far larger department that doesn't require me to buy my own. This particular police position is playing second fiddle for me right now.

Androidpk
04-03-2017, 11:59 AM
Is there any benefit to using a G17 over a G19? I know the barrel is a half inch longer but does that mean it shoots a little bit more accurately?

SonoftheNorth
04-03-2017, 12:06 PM
Is there any benefit to using a G17 over a G19? I know the barrel is a half inch longer but does that mean it shoots a little bit more accurately?

It would have a slightly longer sight radius. longer barrel, and a better grip, +2 rounds. G17 fits my hand so much better than a g19 because my hand is too big for the fingergrooves and the trigger guard pinches my finger, I'd rather deal with the extra size.

Androidpk
04-03-2017, 12:10 PM
It would have a slightly longer sight radius. longer barrel, and a better grip, +2 rounds. G17 fits my hand so much better than a g19 because my hand is too big for the fingergrooves and the trigger guard pinches my finger, I'd rather deal with the extra size.

What would having a longer sight radius mean?

SonoftheNorth
04-03-2017, 12:14 PM
You'd get more accuracy from a longer sight radius than you would the barrel length, you mostly get velocity from that.

Nephelem
04-03-2017, 08:19 PM
The greater the distance between the rear and the front sight, the greater the precision of your aiming adjustments. This means you can make more accurate corrections and notice misalignment, resulting in better accuracy assuming the shooter is proficient. The longer barrel definitely speeds up the rounds, which sometimes matters not a bit, and other times matters quite a lot. If you are using modern defensive ammunition that expands then 50 feet per second of velocity can sometimes decide whether a round expands as it was designed to, or travels through the target like a solid round. This works both ways, sometimes ammo that is designed for concealed carry length barrels can significantly under-penetrate when fired from a full length barrel. As always, make sure your gun and the specific ammo you use work well together. Another small difference is that the longer barrel will tend to have slightly more muzzle flip due to the mechanical advantage of increasing the length of the lever from the end of barrel to the grip as well as the bullet being in the barrel for a slightly longer duration. This is mostly offset by the increased weight of the longer barrel but can make a small difference in some situations.

Parkbandit
04-03-2017, 08:36 PM

I love my Glock. So easy to maintain and it shoots better than any other gun for me.

Androidpk
04-03-2017, 08:50 PM
I love my Glock. So easy to maintain and it shoots better than any other gun for me.

What kind do you have?

Menos
04-03-2017, 09:06 PM

+1 to this. I hated everything about Glocks until I owned one. They're ugly, felt horrible in hand, didn't have the safety or trigger I wanted... but damn if I'm not a better shot with my 23 than I am with any other pistol I own. My roomate loves his 27, although I find the subcompact frame too small for the .40 round.

Parkbandit
04-04-2017, 11:35 AM
What kind do you have?

I got a sweet deal for a 17c a few years back.

I love it.

Parkbandit
04-04-2017, 11:36 AM
+1 to this. I hated everything about Glocks until I owned one. They're ugly, felt horrible in hand, didn't have the safety or trigger I wanted... but damn if I'm not a better shot with my 23 than I am with any other pistol I own. My roomate loves his 27, although I find the subcompact frame too small for the .40 round.

Yea, I actually went in disliking the Glock.. looks clunky and not as refined as some other guns. My cousin, who is a police officer, said "Try out a Glock.. I love mine".. that was the only reason I did.

Savageheart
04-04-2017, 11:54 AM
https://www.sigsauer.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/1800x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/1/9/1911_match_elite_stainless.jpg

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-match-elite-stainless-full-size.html

Savageheart
04-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Glocks dont feel right to me I learned on an old heavy Beretta 92

Androidpk
11-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Glock gen 5's came out recently though the changes/updates don't look that impressive.

Pulpit
11-28-2017, 10:41 PM
Arex Zero 1
looks pretty good going through the torture Test done by the Military Arms Channel on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuPOqDlaX6U

Stanley Burrell
12-02-2017, 05:47 PM
ppk /g or bust.

Edit: I thought for sure a gold ppk was most certainly the Golden Gun from Bond flicks, but there are actually a lot of different theories on what it (the Golden Gun) actually is. I award myself no points, and may God have mercy on my soul.

Androidpk
12-05-2017, 01:11 PM
http://taskandpurpose.com/m1911-pistols-cmp-sale-details/