PDA

View Full Version : Demons at the Gate

Kakoon
01-29-2017, 10:14 PM
Cross post from the officials:

Lord Legionnaire Commander Cyik,

War. War has come to the Elven Nations. I fear our time of peace has come to an end. The last couple weeks both Ta'Vaalor and Ta'Illistim have come under attack by an intelligent and organized force. Sir, this voice continues to taunt us on the wind. It speaks of revenge, of hate and betrayal. Worst yet, it speaks of the demons as its children, as its babies. Repeated attacks of Vathor, Abyran'an, and Oculoth have taken us to the edge of our resolve and back, yet we continue to hold the line. With the constant taunting on the wind, threats of revenge, demon attacks, I can't help but be reminded of the entity that identified itself as Vengeance a few months back. The same entity that had brought the Voln-Dai to the Fortress. Attempts have been made to speak with Brother Monk about the recent attacks in hope that perhaps he has found some new information.

Sir, I'm making a number of assumptions and conjectures with the theory that this is Vengeance again. After its last attack those months ago it seemed... lacking. There was no finality, it just vanished. Perhaps it was gathering strength for these new round of assaults, to build an army to bring war to our doorsteps.

Each attack has been proceeded by the smell of death on the wind. We can always smell them long before the horde makes an appearance. In some of these earlier attacks a howl can be heard crying out in the distance, their dogs of war. A rather pathetic pack of mangy mutts that bring with them lesser ghouls and skeletons. The Shadowy Spectral Canine are probably used to coral and drive the inhabitants of the Cemetery towards our gates. Even Ghoul Masters along Virktoth's Path were pushed forward as fodder. Fodder they were, each wave charging headlong into a rain of arrows from the walls, to crash and break on our shield wall. It wasn't long before the voice started sending its own forces to break our line. It started as a low rumble at first, barely audible over the clash of metal on metal. We felt it in our boots next, the hordes of undead never slowing in their attacks, as if they knew and wanted what was coming. The earth cracked and broke as Massive Crimson Deathworms came burrowing up from beneath us. We were caught flat footed, we lost a number of defenders in their first attack. Our line wavered as our backs were pushed against the gate, the defenders in Vermilion Tower had no choice but to shoot down on us to keep the gate from breaching.

Sir, the commission of the signal towers by both King Qalinor and the Argent Mirror Myasara have been one of the greatest additions for our defences. Defenders from Ta'Illistim arrived just in time to reinforce the lines. Vermilion held firm and pushed them back as the line advanced across the bridge towards Timmorain Road. Annatto Gate began to get assaulted by Rotting Hags, Spectral Warhorses, more Deathworms and creatures of rotting, grotesque horror. Annatto's numbers began to fall as Vermilion pushed forward off the bridge. It was the gully Sir. We watched as half their lines kept breaking off and cutting through Neartofar to attack Annatto, we had to take the gully. Vermilion fought on, cutting a path through the undead horde. As we reached the gully, we saw the beacon from Ta'Illistim light up, the undead were attacking on two major fronts. The defenders from the Shining City quickly rallied and returned to their homes to defend it. Undead don't normally organize like this Sir, they knew exactly what we were trying to do and divided our forces. They cut our numbers in half and all the while the whispered words "How easily your cousins have abandoned you. How quickly they've stabbed your house in the back..." could be heard on the wind. Our numbers gone, moral low, it looked bad for us Sir. It got much worse when it started sending the things of nightmares.

Fear can do terrible things Sir. I remember stories as a child of the horrors that called Old Ta'Faendryl their home. Bed time stories meant to keep children in line, behave or the Ithzir will get you. When I joined the Legion I knew one day I would be assigned a patrol through the Old City. By then I had learned about the barrier protecting us from those horrors. I had lost my fear from when I was a child and am proud to say I've even lead Bandons on patrol through the Old City. I would be reminded very suddenly of that childhood fear.

We held the gully as the defenders at Annatto regrouped and pressed their advantage. With no new forces coming from Neartofar the undead were soon cleared from Annatto Bridge and Neartofar Road. By this time the rotting corpses had stacked up in the gully, we were no longer fighting with an advantage of terrain. Vermilion was fighting on even ground as the bodies piled, we held firm until we heard that Annatto was clear and guarded. We saw the shadows across the moon at first, birdlike silhouettes covering us in darkness. As we were looking up, we never saw the fresh wave of hell the undead had brought to bare. Constructs crashed through and broke our lines as Ithzir Seers and Adepts cast unspeakable magics. Fear gripped our hearts as a familiar screech sounded over the din of battle, a screech that is normally only heard within the protective barrier. War Griffins dove from out of the sky, their beaks and talons ripping the throats from so many. We warned of the new threat and began an organized retreat, back under the protection of Vermilion Tower. Again I was baffled by the organization of the undead, they pressed their advantage and sent the unimaginable. Fire errupted across the battlefield and death stepped from the flames.

Death brings peace, quiet, even a sweet release. No more orders being shouted through thoughts in my head, no more cries of the dying. Only the silence of the dead. From the flames stepped a Vathor. It was yards away yet I felt the heat from flames encircling its body. Its wolf-like snout bared its teeth, showing lines of jagged teeth, in some form of smirk. Two massive bat like wings stretched from the Vathor's back as it lept into the air, we watched in horror as it landed behind us, blocking our retreat. I have never fought with braver men or women. We charged the demon as Ithzir and constructs surrounded us. We fought back to back, sword cleaving bone, arrows striking vital organs, spells melting flesh. We fought until the last one, we fought until our weapons became quiet. We fought until we were given that sweet release and found what we had hoped, peace.

Next I knew I was in the Hall of the Arkati with shouts of orders in my head as defenders organized to contain the breach. Triage had been moved inside the Hall of the Arkati when Deathworms burrowed up under King's Court. We fought for our lives, for our homes. Our efforts doubled as we realized that this could be the end. We pushed them back to the gates and that's where we held them. A stalemate of forces, neither side giving ground. For hours we fought shoulder to shoulder inside the arch of the gateways. A storm had blown in, rain pouring from the skies as our feet trampled the dirt to hazardous mud. No matter how much fire poured from the Drake, the undead scourge seemed endless. For every one we killed, two more were there. We knew we couldn't hold out forever. A very cold shiver ran down my spine as a warhorn was sounded in the night.

Hope is the light that casts away the darkness in our lives. In that hour, when the darkness of night stretched on endlessly, hope was but a dwindling spark. I had steeled myself and accepted my fate, Lorminstra would see me through the Ebon Gates. We fought on, when one of ours fell our lines along the archway began to shrink. We heard the warhorn again, this time much closer and no longer echoing off the pass. Sir, the warhorn was coming from behind us, from the west. The beacon from Ta'Illistim had gone out without us realizing. With that extinguished flame came an odd renewed sense of hope, we had our reinforcements. Our spark ignited with fury as Vermilion Gate was soon taken back by defenders from not only Ta'Illistim but west of the Dragon Spine as well. Defenders from across Elanthia had heard of the demons attacking and had come to test their metal.

Test it they did, demons continued to ravage the front lines. Floating black orbs covered in eyes, tossed defenders across the battlefield with inky tendrils, spitting some nightmare inducing venom. Large Humanoid snakes slithered across the field, their hair striking out at unsuspecting victims. Poison making faces quickly turn pale as their lungs ceased to provide oxygen. There in the center was that same demon that had slaughtered us so easily before, fire pouring off its skin. We attacked with ten fold the numbers. The orbs turned to pin cushions as arrows pierced every eye, hissing silenced as heads removed and spiked by sword and spear. As the sun broke the horizon, the burning flames were finally extinguished by holy magic, hope had returned to Ta'Vaalor.

We didn't have long to celebrate. A cold wind blew, carrying a raspy voice crackling the air with energy, "I have withdrawn my forces. Gather your dead and surrender to me that you might live. Refuse and every last one of you will die." I do not know if a similar ultimatum has been presented to our cousins accross the lake but I can promise you this Sir, the Crimson Legion Reserves will die to the last elf before surrender.

For Honor, Pride and Glory,
High Legionnaire Kakoon Arakhor

Original Post:
http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Towns/Ta'Vaalor/view/3415

Kakoon
01-31-2017, 01:11 AM
Like an idiot I forgot to include a link to the original post to the official, sorry. I also wanted to highlight GM Mazreth's post from the villain's perspective and who doesn't like a good storyline thread bump?

War. War has come to the Elven Nations. The thought thrilled him with anticipation. "At last, my vengeance can begin," he spoke aloud to the shadows surrounding him. It was time to test the enslavers' mettle. He had grown so much in power since that day he heard the calling from the west, from the one that called himself the Lich King. Something had stirred within him, pushed him to strain against the forces that imprisoned him, begged him to extend his will and force it upon whoever he could. So long ago that seemed now…

Drawing on the power of his surroundings, he cast his gaze far afield, to the very gates of the fortress. He watched the inhabitants seem confused by the scent of death and decay that wafted ahead of his scouts. He turned to a red-eyed tormentor and spoke harshly, "Release the canines. Drive the mindless ones forward. Take to the forest and head for the southern gate as well." He heard the howls as his mind cleared and his vision focused.seeing the first of the lesser creatures, skeletons and ghouls, crash against the gates of the mighty fortress.

How long had the fortress stood? He had no recollection of it not being there. He knew it had stood upon that island at least since the time of the exile. He would test what was left of the Elven Empire.

Turning again to the tormentor he cautions, "Patience, the time is not yet right." Wave after wave of his horde destroys itself upon the fortress and its defenders. No matter really, the undead were plentiful and they were taking a heavy toll upon the elves. He watched as the defenders gained a comfortable arrogance, actually asking "Is that all you've got?" Cackling softly to himself he said, "No. No, it isn't," to nobody in particular. "Release the worms. Inform the seers that I want a wave of war griffins ready within the hour. If we cannot take the gates, we will go under or over them," he barked to the tormentor who quickly vanished in a nearby shadow. Turning to a being of fire and shadow that stood beside him he cooed, "You will get your chance, my baby. Just a bit longer and you will taste elven blood."

He marveled at the organization of the Vaalorians, at how they easily incorporated all of those from across the lands that had answered the blazing call of the signal fires. Little did they know, that is precisely what he wanted them to do. "Now, go now and take some of your brothers and sisters with you," he said to the being of fire and shadow. "Make the Shining City shine with your fire. Kill as many as you can," he cooed.

Uncertain if it was even possible, he extended his mind's reach. Splitting his focus and pushing a part of him towards the crystal towers of Ta'Illistim. He watched with joy as his babies broke the magical barriers and laid waste to the hanging gardens and all who stupidly relaxed in their presumed safety. He laughed a hollow, spectral laugh as those who had come to aid the fortress fled. Rushing to pick up the pieces of their own ravaged home. How perfectly his plan had worked. Just as they had in days past, House abandoned House. He could not help himself. He focused his voice on the wind, taunting both cities. "Fools," he thought, "Fools to trust one another." His house had learned that lesson long ago.

Speaking rapidly to the tormentor he asked, "The Ithzir are ready? I will exert a great deal of energy creating a path for them. Everything must be perfect." Blazing red soulless eyes stared back intelligently as the tormentor's head bobbed slightly upon its ravaged frame. "Very well, proceed," he snapped. Focusing his mind inward was difficult. He was still often amazed at what he found he could do. Stilling his thoughts, he closed his eyes and reached outward with his mind. Feeling the flows of magic, testing the threads that wove the pattern of all living things, he found what he was searching for… a solid wall woven of spirit and fire. Slowly he picked at the flows of mana creating the magical barrier until he had a hole big enough to push a mental finger through. Carefully he expanded the opening and watched as Ithzir quietly slipped through, followed by hulking constructs and flights of war griffins. "Make for the old road," he gasped as the last of the Ithzir passed through. Releasing the flows, he slumped forward, exhausted. That was enough for tonight. He needed rest. Focusing his voice once more upon the wind he spoke, "I have withdrawn my forces. Gather your dead and surrender to me that you might live. Refuse and every last one of you will die." He felt the cold alien touch of an Ithzir initiate touch his mind, "Te wafi letti kamath." He smiled. They had found the paths and successfully passed over the water and they waited, waited for his orders. Revenge would be his yet.

~Vindicto – Your Adversary

Original Post:
http://forums.play.net/forums/GemStone%20IV/Towns/Ta'Vaalor/view/3416