PDA

View Full Version : Origin of the Christmas Tree

HarmNone
12-18-2004, 07:42 PM
The Norse pagans and Celtic Druids revered evergreens as manifestations of deity because they did not "die" from year to year but stayed green and alive when other plants appeared dead and bare. The trees represented everlasting life and hope for the return of spring.

The druids decorated their trees with symbols of prosperity -- a fruitful harvest, coins for wealth and various charms such as those for love or fertility. Scandinavian Pagans are thought to be the first to bring their decorated trees indoors as this provided a warm and welcoming environment for the native fairy folk and tree elementals to join in the festivities. The Saxons, a Germanic pagan tribe, were the first to place lights on the their trees in the form of candles. Ancient Romans decorated their homes with greens at the Festival of Saturnalia, their New Year and exchanged evergreen branches with friends as a sign of good luck.

The first Christian use of the Christmas tree symbol is credited to 16th century when devout Christians also brought decorated trees into their homes. German born Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria, is credited with starting the trend in England in 1841 when he brought the first Christmas Tree to Windsor Castle.

While Europe had already been celebrating Christmas for some time, the first recorded sighting of a Christmas tree in America came in 1830's Pennsylvania. It seems a local church erected the tree as a fundraising effort. Christmas trees were generally not thought kindly of in early America, as many people saw them as Pagan symbols, which is in fact, their origin. By the 1890's, however, Christmas ornaments were being imported from Germany and Christmas trees were in high fashion.

While Europeans generally favored smaller trees about three to four feet in height, Americans, as usual, liked to do things big. Their trees proudly stretched from floor to ceiling. Popular ornaments with the German-Americans were natural items like apples, nuts, berries, marzipan and cookies. Popcorn, an American addition, eventually was added to the mix.

With the advent of electricity, Christmas trees began to appear in town squares across America and the traditional "lighting of the tree" quickly became the official symbols of the beginning of the holiday season.

Nieninque
12-18-2004, 07:44 PM
:cool:

Thanks HN

HarmNone
12-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Welcome! I'd never read the history of the Christmas tree before. I thought it was pretty cool! :)

Jahira
12-18-2004, 07:48 PM
Yeah, I never knew that.

BrainSucky
12-18-2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by HarmNone
Ancient Romans decorated their homes with greens at the Festival of Saturnalia, their New Year and exchanged evergreen branches with friends as a sign of good luck.

Saturnalia is also a holiday wherein the Romans harkened back to some of the Greco-Roman god parallels, specifically to Bacchus, and had wild parties full of drunken debauchery and orgies.

Very cool read though. Thanks for putting it up.

12-18-2004, 07:55 PM
Saturnalia is where men got naked, drunk and beat their wives, then they called it Christmas.

Also, Jesus Christ isn't his name, that's greek for "one who is annointed" Yeshua ben Yoseph was his name.

HarmNone
12-18-2004, 07:56 PM
Heh. Weren't all the ancient Romans' parties like that? ;)

Jazuela
12-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Christ, if I remember correctly, is the word for "annointed one." Jesus is a first name. Yeshua ben Yuseph is Hebrew, and translates to "Jesus, son of Joseph."

edited "surname" to "first name" D'oh

[Edited on 12-19-2004 by Jazuela]

BrainSucky
12-18-2004, 08:40 PM
There's no better party than the one with lots of gaymansex.

Snapp
12-18-2004, 09:11 PM
Interesting read HN. Thanks for sharing. :D I wonder how many fires were started by using real burning candles on trees though?

Latrinsorm
12-18-2004, 09:56 PM
Don't be silly, Stan. Jesus is short for Joshua, which of course means "Yah saves". :)

Good post, Harm. I'm sure no Christmas tree farms will meet with a fiery doom in a completely deniable fashion. :smilegrin:

Nakiro
12-18-2004, 10:05 PM
Yep, we all celebrate a pagan traidition!

Its funny but it really is true. That's why its important to remember the reason for the season.

Nieninque
12-18-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Nakiro

Its funny but it really is true. That's why its important to remember the reason for the season.

Which is?

Nakiro
12-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Nieninque

Which is?

Which is true? The celebration of a tradition with pagan origins.

Meges
12-18-2004, 10:17 PM
What is the reason for the season?

Meges

Nakiro
12-18-2004, 10:35 PM
The birth of Christ.

Jazuela
12-18-2004, 11:50 PM
But uh - Jesus wasn't even born in December. Not only was he not born in December, he was born in a country that didn't - and still doesn't - even use the same calendar that we do in the States (and in most of the rest of the world).

The months of the Hebrew calendar are -completely- different. Someone traced it back - edited to give the URL because I found a page explaining it...the theory goes he was probably born in September (according to the Gregorian calendar).

http://de.essortment.com/christmaspagan_rece.htm

Nakiro
12-19-2004, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by Jazuela
But uh - Jesus wasn't even born in December. Not only was he not born in December, he was born in a country that didn't - and still doesn't - even use the same calendar that we do in the States (and in most of the rest of the world).

The months of the Hebrew calendar are -completely- different. Someone traced it back - edited to give the URL because I found a page explaining it...the theory goes he was probably born in September (according to the Gregorian calendar).

http://de.essortment.com/christmaspagan_rece.htm

Uhm, did I say birthday?

No. I said birth.

Tsa`ah
12-19-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Latrinsorm
Don't be silly, Stan. Jesus is short for Joshua, which of course means "Yah saves". :)

As Barabus means "carpenter's son".

Sweets
12-19-2004, 11:20 AM
I never knew the origin of the Christmas tree. Thanks Harmnone.

My reason for this season is remember to give, enjoy family and basically celebrate life.

Whether I do it in celebration of Christ's birth (NOT his birthday...we all know he wasn't born then) or just to give thanks for life itself, I love this holiday.

Latrinsorm
12-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Tsa`ah
As Barabus means "carpenter's son". I'm guessing that you don't read Christian Bibles very often, so check this out: They started putting the "Jesus" back in "Jesus Barabbas" in some versions. Fun little demonstration of Christian oddity.

Nieninque
12-19-2004, 12:57 PM
The birth of Christ.

That may be your reason.
Dont impose that on me, thanks very much.

Fengus
12-19-2004, 05:43 PM
We are celebrating the winter solistis, just because "pegans" celebrated this means nothing. Its the world and its the galaxy, there is nothing pagan about celebrating an interesting time of the year.

But its small coincidence that christianity's birth holiday falls around the *DARKEST* day of the year, because poetically it was the darkest day in our history when christianity was born.

12-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Go birth of Christ!

- Arkans

PS: Merry Christmas

Czeska
12-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Happy Yulemas!

(my favorite pin is a crescent moon wearing a Santa hat)

12-19-2004, 08:28 PM
FESTIVUS FOR THE RESTIVUS!!!

- Arkans