PDA

View Full Version : Selling: Ghostly-Grey Sorceror's Greatcloak

Ravenwood
01-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Like the title says Im selling A Ghostly-Grey Sorcerer's Greatcloak. Old item, holds a significant amount, weighs about 6 lbs.

MB 200K

Mogonis
01-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Is it really -or, or did you mistype?

Enuch
01-07-2017, 12:30 PM
I'll go mb on this

Maerit
01-07-2017, 12:52 PM
It's a mis-type. It's correctly spelled sorcerer's. Still a profession specific cloak, which is not currently allowed by the alteration rules.

Wyrom
01-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Is it really -or, or did you mistype?

Does the hyphen on ghostly-grey make your blood boil though?

Whirlin
01-07-2017, 01:01 PM
The whole description makes my blood boil a little bit.. ... ...

400k on it.

Mogonis
01-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Heh. I've no qualms with the hyphen. It's doing its job correctly (forming a compound adjective). It's ghostly that seems silly to me. It already implies a certain color, doesn't it? And is the cloak semi-transparent?

Methais
01-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Needs to be changed to ghostly-gay since sorcerers love penis.

Elvenlady
01-07-2017, 01:40 PM

YES! *twitching*

Furryrat
01-07-2017, 02:16 PM
The word 'ghostly' is an adverb, so therefore the hyphen is not required, but ghostly grey is, well... I am tempted to buy this only to destroy it!

So I will, 500k!

Mogonis
01-07-2017, 02:24 PM
The word 'ghostly' is an adverb, so therefore the hyphen is not required, but ghostly grey is, well... I am tempted to buy this only to destroy it!

So I will, 500k!
It's an adjective. The hyphen is necessary because ghostly is modifying grey and not the cloak (subject). It's a compound adjective. An adverb has to have a verb to modify. Using ghostly as an adverb would be silly. He ghostly walked through the wall.

Unfortunately, proper hyphening doesn't play well with the 15/15/15 rule. Whenever it does, however, DO IT.

a fel-hafted vultite waraxe

myriad
01-07-2017, 02:36 PM
It's an adjective. The hyphen is necessary because ghostly is modifying grey and not the cloak (subject). It's a compound adjective. An adverb has to have a verb to modify. Using ghostly as an adverb would be silly. He ghostly walked through the wall.

Unfortunately, proper hyphening doesn't play well with the 15/15/15 rule. Whenever it does, however, DO IT.

a fel-hafted vultite waraxe

A word modifying an adjective is called an adverb.

Mogonis
01-07-2017, 03:01 PM
A word modifying an adjective is called an adverb.
Fair enough, but it still needs the hyphen because it's modifying an adjective and not the noun. It's not a ghostly cloak. It's a ghostly-grey cloak.

Silvean
01-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Fair enough, but it still needs the hyphen because it's modifying an adjective and not the noun. It's not a ghostly cloak. It's a ghostly-grey cloak.

You do not hyphenate an adverb ending in -ly. I think it should be "ghostly grey." I tend to avoid hyphens as a matter of style unless their omission is glaring or creates confusion. In this case leaving the hyphen out is the right decision grammatically and stylistically. For most Gemstone items, I'd leave the hyphen in if it is grammatically correct to do so. Slashing and stabbing parts of speech need their hyphens.

Zaigh
01-07-2017, 03:24 PM
I-just-want-to-put-this-on-my-wizard-now-to-cause-some-lulz-.

750k-on-this-ghostly grey-cloak

Mogonis
01-07-2017, 03:25 PM
You do not hyphenate an adverb ending in -ly. I think it should be "ghostly grey." I tend to avoid hyphens as a matter of style unless their omission is glaring or creates confusion. In this case leaving the hyphen out is the right decision grammatically and stylistically. For most Gemstone items, I'd leave the hyphen in if it is grammatically correct to do so. Slashing and stabbing parts of speech need their hyphens.
You don't hyphenate adverbs when they modify verbs. You do when they modify adjectives. Again, it's modifying the color, not the cloak. If the GM/player intended for the cloak to be ghostly, then yes, no need for a hyphen.

a ghostly cloak
a ghostly-grey cloak (compound adjective)

Silvean
01-07-2017, 03:39 PM
You don't hyphenate adverbs when they modify verbs. You do when they modify adjectives. Again, it's modifying the color, not the cloak. If the GM/player intended for the cloak to be ghostly, then yes, no need for a hyphen.

a ghostly cloak
a ghostly-grey cloak (compound adjective)

Chicago Manual of Style 5.91: "A two-word phrasal adjective that begins with an adverb ending in ‑ly is not hyphenated {a sharply worded reprimand} (but a not-so-sharply-worded reprimand)."

Look at this page (http://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/hyphens.asp) as well: "The adverb very and adverbs ending in ly are not hyphenated."

This is actually quite weird since I don't think of ghostly as a -ly adverb in the same way I think of "highly" in "highly motivated employee." What if we consider "ghostly grey" a shade of paint? Like, I could go to the Elanthian Home Depot and they have "Ghostly Grey" sitting on the shelf in a can. Would that change things? I put my ghostly grey paint on my armor and get ghostly grey armor. Either way, I would exclude the hyphen from "ghostly-grey" for reasons of style.

Mogonis
01-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Still, it's a style choice. Grammatically, it can have different meanings with and without the hyphen.

Silvean
01-07-2017, 03:56 PM
Still, it's a style choice. Grammatically, it can have different meanings with and without the hyphen.

Grammatically, I think it is correct to leave the hyphen out. But your sentence above creates a new problem. In the special context of Gemstone, you could imagine a cloak being literally ghostly. You could argue that "ghostly-grey" needs to be hyphenated for clarity in violation of grammatical norms discouraging the hyphenation of -ly adverbs. I'll refer this question to Lylia for further arbitration.

Silvean
01-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Lylia writes, "Ghostly grey doesn't need a hyphen. Either it's a two-word color name -- "ghostly grey" is part of the Elanthian rainbow along with salorisa pink and void black -- or "ghostly" is a modifier of the word "cloak," which would make it an adjective. Whether it's a cloak dyed a hue called ghostly grey or a grey cloak that is ghostly, though, the main reason it doesn't take a hyphen is that it isn't an adverb at all despite ending in -ly."

In my opinion, it's a two-word color name.

Velfi
01-07-2017, 05:11 PM
http://i.imgur.com/uQKfvWl.gif

Velfi
01-07-2017, 05:13 PM
For real though, ghostly-grey is dumb.

Shae
01-07-2017, 05:14 PM
This thread gives me the warm fuzzies.

Silvean
01-07-2017, 05:16 PM
For real though, ghostly-grey is dumb.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/694541688044457984/YTah0iqS.jpg

Velfi
01-07-2017, 05:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XPTuSpX.jpg

Latrinsorm
01-07-2017, 05:25 PM
Will no one point out that in American (i.e. proper English) we spell it gray???

Silvean
01-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Will no one point out that in American (i.e. proper English) we spell it gray???

Fine.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0558/2081/products/PCC_BTAS_GRAYGHOST_FINALforprint_1024x1024.jpg?v=1 447777217

Latrinsorm
01-07-2017, 05:30 PM
It blew my mind as a kid that Adam West voiced the Gray Ghost on that episode.

It still does.

What a series.

Velfi
01-07-2017, 05:31 PM

I speak passable American and I've always spelled it grey.

http://i.imgur.com/66lc331.gif

Viekn
01-07-2017, 05:36 PM

Very true, but as American as I am, it's always seemed odd to me to spell it any other way than grey. I have no idea why. I grew up in the mid-west.

Silvean
01-07-2017, 05:45 PM
Gray carries connotations of bacon for breakfast and an honest day of work on the farm; nothing wrong with that. But grey is a world of exotic wonder and mystery. Imagine a man approaching a woman at a glamorous party. Does she see his grey suit? Does she know that he knows it is a grey suit and not a gray one? "Such class and sophistication," she thinks, "and it makes all the difference." Someone raise the bid on this cloak. Do not let the opportunity slip away.

Ravenwood
01-07-2017, 05:52 PM
750k to-Zaigh :-) going once

Elvenlady
01-07-2017, 06:08 PM
I confess to being mildly turned on by Silvean and his eloquent insights into the complexities of the English language.

(That might just be the wine talking though.)

Ravenwood
01-07-2017, 09:28 PM
750k going to Zhaig, twice

Ravenwood
01-08-2017, 02:11 AM
And sold to Zhaig for 750k.....good deal here.

Lylia
01-08-2017, 03:37 AM
I confess to being mildly turned on by Silvean and his eloquent insights into the complexities of the English language.

(That might just be the wine talking though.)

In vino veritas!

Hoodtralfeck
01-12-2017, 03:24 AM
damn i didnt see this til after it was sold . i would have paid up to 1m for that