PDA

View Full Version : Conversation on Talk Sport

Nieninque
12-17-2004, 09:34 AM
This is an actual conversation following Scotland's 1-1 draw with the Pharoe Islands (who?) on Sky's Talk Sport. It's been around a while so those in the UK may have seen it before.

Presenter: We have Jim on the line who wants to discuss the Faroe Islands/Scotland game.

Jim: Thanks...er yeah. Just want to say it's an absolute disgrace. I mean, we're playing probably the weakest side in world football and we can't do better than a draw.

Presenter: It was a poor result.

Jim: Poor result! Poor result! It's absolutely scandalous. The manager has lost the plot completely, he's got to go. I know we've never set the world alight over the years on the international stage but I can't remember things being this bad. It's the end for us. The absolute end. I can't see us ever
recovering from a setback like this. We're a complete laughing stock.

Presenter: Look Jim. I know it seems bad now but there is still a long way to go. I can't see you qualifying for Euro 2004 but hopefully things will improve.

Jim: I never expected for a moment we would qualify. I don't mind that so much. We're not good enough. But listen, to not qualify is one thing, but to fail to beat a team like Scotland is a different matter. It's a bitter blow for everyone here on the Islands.
(Uproar and laughter in the studio)

Parkbandit
12-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Football my ass. Follow a real sport like AMERICAN FOOTBALL.

Nieninque
12-17-2004, 10:00 AM
Pish

There is only one football

And it doesnt have any association with the word American

Parkbandit
12-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Soccer is for sissies who can't handle taking a hit.

Nieninque
12-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Thats American football with their nancy pads.
Wanna play rough?
Play Rugby

Parkbandit
12-17-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Nieninque
Wanna play rough?
Play Rugby

I agree that Rugby is a MUCH more rough sport than American Football (referred to as Football from this point forward) but soccer isn't even close.

Nieninque
12-17-2004, 10:16 AM
Soccer Schmoccer. It is football.
Your game where you pick the ball up and throw/run with it, cannot acurately be called FOOTball.

Besides which, American pick-up-the-ball-and-run-with-it-or-throw-it-ball is popular in the US and Canada.

Football (the game where the ball is moved around by striking with the foot) is popular all over the world.

Speaks volumes does that.

Parkbandit
12-17-2004, 10:18 AM
Soccer Schmoccer. It is football.
Your game where you pick the ball up and throw/run with it, cannot acurately be called FOOTball.

Besides which, American pick-up-the-ball-and-run-with-it-or-throw-it-ball is popular in the US and Canada.

Football (the game where the ball is moved around by striking with the foot) is popular all over the world.

Speaks volumes does that.

It sure does.

America > Rest of the world.

Nieninque
12-17-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Parkbandit

America > Rest of the world.

Poor, deluded old man :P

DeV
12-17-2004, 10:53 AM

Wanna play rough?
Play Rugby

I agree that Rugby is a MUCH more rough sport than American Football (referred to as Football from this point forward) but soccer isn't even close. You've got to give respect where it's due. Do you know how many miles soccer players run in just one game? How much conditioning and so many other factors are involved in order to be good.

American football rules hands down but you don't see any overweight athletes playing soccer.

HarmNone
12-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by DeV

Wanna play rough?
Play Rugby

I agree that Rugby is a MUCH more rough sport than American Football (referred to as Football from this point forward) but soccer isn't even close. You've got to give respect where it's due. Do you know how many miles soccer players run in just one game? How much conditioning and so many other factors are involved in order to be good.

American football rules hands down but you don't see any overweight athletes playing soccer.

Gotta agree with you there, Dev. The stamina shown by football (soccer) players is nothing short of amazing!

Parkbandit
12-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Add 20 pounds of gear and allow them to tackle and I would have some additional respect for them.

Sorry.. I consider Soccer as much of a real spectator sport as marathon running.

DeV
12-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Add 20 pounds of gear and allow them to tackle and I would have some additional respect for them.

Sorry.. I consider Soccer as much of a real spectator sport as marathon running. Coming from someone who's played soccer, rugby, flag football and tackle football I can attest to the fact that American football and soccer involve more than what meets the eye.

Both my brothers play Division I college football so I know what they go through as far as training and conditioning and it's a hell of alot but then again so is soccer traning.
Get a line backer to play a full game of soccer and see if his stamina is anywhere near that of a soccer player or if he can handle the ball in all the amazing ways a soccer player can.

I bet you'd consider the triatholon a spectator sport as well but it isn't. It's grueling and the training surpasses that of most major sports. Another reason why in the Olympic games even the last triathelete to cross the finish line is applauded as if they'd just won because it's a accomplishment that exceeds what most athletes could ever do.

I love playing football out of all the sports I've tried, hands down but when people talk down on soccer it's usually because they're biased about football. :yes:

Alarke
12-17-2004, 12:10 PM
How about you put one of those soccer players at LB? I tend to believe the football player would have a much better shot at soccer than the other way around.

DeV
12-17-2004, 12:27 PM
Or take your average 6'5 300+ tackle and put him on a soccer field and see how long he lasts.
It's silly to compare and contrast like that but both sports have areas where the athletes will excel in certain areas. Football is more encompassing when it comes to differences in abilities and how an athlete is expected to perform based on the position they play.

Parkbandit
12-17-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Alarke
How about you put one of those soccer players at LB? I tend to believe the football player would have a much better shot at soccer than the other way around.

I don't think so. I can't imagine a LB playing a full game of soccer.. nor can I imagine a soccer player making it through a couple games as a LB.

It's like comparing golf to track... two different games.

peam
12-17-2004, 12:49 PM
The studs of the NFL would destroy any rugby team on Earth in any game.

DeV
12-17-2004, 01:07 PM
I'm not so sure about that...
Football has evolved throughout the years to include more *padding* so that bigger hits can be made without fear of permanent injury. Helmets and pads vs. no helmets and no pads. Tough call in my opinion.

peam
12-17-2004, 01:11 PM
If the NFL played without pads, there would be numerous deaths and paralyzations each year.

NFL players are monsters, plain and simple.

Latrinsorm
12-17-2004, 02:31 PM
The soccer/football exchange reminds me of a commercial I saw where a basketball team lined up against a football team on a football field... without pads. That was pretty ludicrous.

European football is alright. It's not better than baseball, hockey, or American football, but it's got a pretty good lock on 4th now that Slamball seems to have vanished.

Makkah
12-17-2004, 03:11 PM
What the fuck was the point of the original post?

rht

Nieninque
12-17-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Makkah
What the fuck was the point of the original post?

rht

What the fuck is the point of ANY of yours?

Makkah
12-17-2004, 08:07 PM
I don't start retarded threads to talk about shit we've all heard 100x.

rht

Eiderfleur
12-17-2004, 08:11 PM
This is an actual conversation following Scotland's 1-1 draw with the Pharoe Islands (who?) on Sky's Talk Sport. It's been around a while so those in the UK may have seen it before.

Presenter: We have Jim on the line who wants to discuss the Faroe Islands/Scotland game.

Jim: Thanks...er yeah. Just want to say it's an absolute disgrace. I mean, we're playing probably the weakest side in world football and we can't do better than a draw.

Presenter: It was a poor result.

Jim: Poor result! Poor result! It's absolutely scandalous. The manager has lost the plot completely, he's got to go. I know we've never set the world alight over the years on the international stage but I can't remember things being this bad. It's the end for us. The absolute end. I can't see us ever
recovering from a setback like this. We're a complete laughing stock.

Presenter: Look Jim. I know it seems bad now but there is still a long way to go. I can't see you qualifying for Euro 2004 but hopefully things will improve.

Jim: I never expected for a moment we would qualify. I don't mind that so much. We're not good enough. But listen, to not qualify is one thing, but to fail to beat a team like Scotland is a different matter. It's a bitter blow for everyone here on the Islands.
(Uproar and laughter in the studio)

The initial post was about a commentary on football AKA Soccer to the Americans who post here......

It was NOT OMG LETS COMPARE FOOTBALL TO AMERICAN FOOTBALL AND RUGBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111!!!!!!!!!!

Just because it turned into that doesn't mean that was what was intended.

Besides, if you don't like what the thread is about why post on it?

Nieninque
12-17-2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by Makkah
I don't start retarded threads to talk about shit we've all heard 100x.

rht

You post retarded shit we've heard 100X

crazymage
12-17-2004, 09:07 PM
i saw the revolution play..some team in the 'superbowl' of soccer like 2 years ago. end of october, 30 degrees. 0-0 tie. DOUBLE OVERTIME. do they even call plays? they just kicked the ball back an fourth for like 6 hours. we lost by 1...