PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasting Monk

Batman
12-29-2016, 12:40 PM
This class. How do I put this gently? It's terrible apparently. I should play a brawling rogue? But, the monk's spell circle, minor mental, seems to have some potential at least on paper. Has anyone attempted to use UCS purely for defense and hunt using the minor mental spell list. Is this even possible?

Allereli
12-29-2016, 12:43 PM
monks are squares. You should take that into account when training.

sentral
12-29-2016, 12:48 PM
I play a monk and I use spells all the time. I use thought lash alot 1210, and 1219 vertigo. Voln monk. Smite them 1210 the mstrike is nasty. Is your logic decent? I also have enhansices to get a +20 to bonus in logic.

Batman
12-29-2016, 12:56 PM
I play a monk and I use spells all the time. I use thought lash alot 1210, and 1219 vertigo. Voln monk. Smite them 1210 the mstrike is nasty. Is your logic decent? I also have enhansices to get a +20 to bonus in logic.

Nice, and jelly of that insane logic bonus. Think I'm gonna try it out now.

And why am I red repped? Is this topic taboo?

sentral
12-29-2016, 01:15 PM
nice!, yes you need that logic to be high. in a bandit task I can usually hit all of them with vertigo.

Gelston
12-29-2016, 01:28 PM
Probably because it is assumed you are macguyver.

Maerit
12-29-2016, 02:00 PM
1219 is probably the only warding spell in the MnM list that a Monk should bother to cast.

You would be better served using 1207 over 1210 for disabling a single target. It's more powerful as it doesn't rely on warding, costs less mana, and inflicts significant RT. Plus, it can open gates and such.

1207, feint, kill - repeat.

Monks are squares. Just like any square, they'll suck at killing with spells. You can do it, but you will never be able to fry (since you won't have enough mana to kill more than 1 or 2 creatures with spells alone), and you'll level pitifully compared to just playing the class the way it was designed to be played. Monks do NOT have to be UAC. They excel at other combat styles such as Ranged and THW as well as being good at hurling and TWC.

If you want an interesting way to kill, look into CMANs. Monks have a long list of CMANs at their disposal, and special skills that help reduce stamina consumption. You can add lots of flavor to monk combat by dipping into some of those interesting maneuvers.

Batman
12-29-2016, 02:11 PM
1219 is probably the only warding spell in the MnM list that a Monk should bother to cast.

You would be better served using 1207 over 1210 for disabling a single target. It's more powerful as it doesn't rely on warding, costs less mana, and inflicts significant RT. Plus, it can open gates and such.

1207, feint, kill - repeat.

Monks are squares. Just like any square, they'll suck at killing with spells. You can do it, but you will never be able to fry (since you won't have enough mana to kill more than 1 or 2 creatures with spells alone), and you'll level pitifully compared to just playing the class the way it was designed to be played. Monks do NOT have to be UAC. They excel at other combat styles such as Ranged and THW as well as being good at hurling and TWC.

If you want an interesting way to kill, look into CMANs. Monks have a long list of CMANs at their disposal, and special skills that help reduce stamina consumption. You can add lots of flavor to monk combat by dipping into some of those interesting maneuvers.

Thanks and I hope this class will be easy going for a noobie everything seems to have gotten complicated.

Also I am not this macguyver person. Please, I'm like 14 and some of the things you left on rep comments is sick. Leave me alone please!

Wrathbringer
12-29-2016, 02:16 PM
Thanks and I hope this class will be easy going for a noobie everything seems to have gotten complicated.

Also I am not this macguyver person. Please, I'm like 14 and some of the things you left on rep comments is sick. Leave me alone please!

not buying it

Taernath
12-29-2016, 02:23 PM
not buying it

:yeahthat:

Ososis
12-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Ososis stands amongst the huddled masses and defiantly cries "No! I'M like 14!"

Donquix
12-29-2016, 02:57 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/im-twelve-years-old-and-what-is-this

sentral
01-10-2017, 09:57 PM
Here is my level 60 monk with a 30 bonus in logic, +9 to bonus from enhcnaisves casting vertigo against bandits. Seems pretty dooable too me.

You take a deep breath and focus inward, raising a hand and quietly murmuring the words of the Vertigo spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture at a half-krolvin rogue.
You hold your two open hands before you, fingers splayed, as a black ball full of pinpoints of light forms between them. When the ball grows so large that you can barely control it, you unleash the dark cloud before you and it instantaneously spreads throughout the entire area!

The starry void envelops a half-elven rogue!
CS: +244 - TD: +177 + CvA: +10 + d100: +93 == +170
Warding failed!
A half-elven rogue is pulled into the void and disappears! She returns almost instantly, looking confused.

The starry void envelops a jungle troll!
CS: +244 - TD: +85 + CvA: +25 + d100: +62 == +246
Warding failed!
A jungle troll is pulled into the void and disappears! He returns almost instantly, looking confused.

The starry void envelops a half-krolvin rogue!
CS: +244 - TD: +183 + CvA: +9 + d100: +83 == +153
Warding failed!
A half-krolvin rogue is pulled into the void and disappears! He returns almost instantly, looking confused.

The starry void envelops a giantman marauder!
CS: +244 - TD: +177 + CvA: +11 + d100: +90 == +168
Warding failed!
A giantman marauder is pulled into the void and disappears! He returns almost instantly, looking confused.

The starry void envelops a jungle troll chieftain!
CS: +244 - TD: +105 + CvA: +25 + d100: +4 == +168
Warding failed!
A jungle troll chieftain is pulled into the void and disappears! She returns almost instantly, looking confused.

The starry void envelops a jungle troll!
CS: +244 - TD: +85 + CvA: +25 + d100: +32 == +216
Warding failed!
A jungle troll is pulled into the void and disappears! He returns almost instantly, looking confused.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

sentral
01-10-2017, 09:58 PM
here is thought lash 1210

You gesture at a giantman marauder.
A crackling whip of energy lashes out at the a giantman marauder!
CS: +244 - TD: +177 + CvA: +11 + d100: +47 == +125
Warding failed!
... 25 points of damage!
Hard blow to back sends the giantman marauder sprawling.
It is knocked to the ground!
The giantman marauder is stunned!
The residual psychic energy from the attack surrounds a giantman marauder.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Donquix
01-10-2017, 11:04 PM
just another 200 mana or so worth of thought lashes and you might kill that one bandit.

sentral
01-10-2017, 11:23 PM
just another 200 mana or so worth of thought lashes and you might kill that one bandit.

1210 increases the criticals on subsequent attacks.

Donquix
01-10-2017, 11:43 PM
1210 increases the criticals on subsequent attacks.

This class. How do I put this gently? It's terrible apparently. I should play a brawling rogue? But, the monk's spell circle, minor mental, seems to have some potential at least on paper. Has anyone attempted to use UCS purely for defense and hunt using the minor mental spell list. Is this even possible?

so again:

Just another 200 or so mana and you might kill that bandit!