PDA

View Full Version : Hunting and outside profession reliance.

Shalla
12-13-2004, 12:15 PM
How many of us rely on outside profession/spells to be able to safely hunt, if not survive? I've seen many die and they seem to have every spell known to all professions. How many of us can hunt effectively, if not going back to town unscathed, without relying on outside resources? including db items, self mana and imbedded items?

Nieninque
12-13-2004, 12:18 PM
I uphunt and use outside spells.
Mage spells to be precise.

Kitsun
12-13-2004, 12:21 PM
My rogue did it fine inside Temple Wyneb.

My wizard and cleric though are typically spelled to the gills for Old Ta. Heh.

BigBadBonar
12-13-2004, 12:22 PM
I would be fine self spelled if i didn't have to deal with pussy ass shit like interdiction. As it is, I can hunt without blues, but it makes it so much easier. Aside from which, it's easy to get and each invoke for me lasts years.

Player of De' Wizard

Marl
12-13-2004, 12:22 PM
I always uphunt by at least 5 or so levels and am only selfcast....wizard
Now my bard has wizard spells and songs going but thats all

Eiderfleur
12-13-2004, 12:23 PM
Eider can easily uphunt with her own spells. However my rogue gets strength purely because I don't really hunt her as such and it helps towards guild skills like critter reps (subdue etc). My paladin at the moment does get a full wizard spellup because she is too young to use a better shield and has only the armor she started out with a 2x shield and 2x weapon until she gets to level 10 at least. Once she is old enough to use a 4x shield she should be alright to hunt with her own spells.

Jahira
12-13-2004, 12:24 PM
My empath goes out fine just with his own spells. He normally uphunts about 2 levels or so.

Insodus
12-13-2004, 12:25 PM
I think the casting professions have a much easier time at it now that runestaffs came out. Self spelled my sorc cleric and wizzy all hunt above them no problem. My warrior on the other hand cant hunt his age without at least all the mage spells.

Iriscience
12-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Since I stopped playing my sorcerer I almost always hunt alone with nothing but my own spells and I never get touched, except the occasional unavoidable griffin grab.

BigBadBonar
12-13-2004, 12:28 PM
Honestly, I feel if you have the tools at your disposal, use them. Then again, I almost never turn someone down to spell them up. Even if i have to do it in anonymity for someone who isn't liked.

Having blues on helps a bunch when hunting some areas, I'll use every edge i can. Next thing i need to do is get some 102 imbeds :-p

I have small statues out the whazoo too, but i almost never use them. I guess i should to make myself more 1337.

Miss X
12-13-2004, 12:50 PM
Chica hunts OTF with just her own spells unless someone offers her spells. I guess I'm lucky that I can heal down any wounds I get while hunting. Don't die that often but I think once I start hunting Ithzir and Griffins that will change! ;)

Praefection
12-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Linsha can hunt just fine with her own spells and mass blurs/colors when they're cast. But, she can do fine without those. And I collect scrolls in case I need the extra DS boosts. Which isn't often enough. But the rare times I haul her into Darkstone (one day she'll master voln) she gets strength to help out.

The rogue can get spells but I hate HAVING to have them when hunting. Pet peeve of mine.

The bard is still young but if something stupid doesn't happen, she's generally okay and makes it to town alive.

The Cat In The Hat
12-13-2004, 01:14 PM
My oldest empath typically uses only her own spells when she hunts. When she was engaged to a wizard she used his spells, but before him and since him, she's used only whats in her spell circles.

Of course, it helps that she has 406 mana and can pretty much keep WOF running.

12-13-2004, 01:16 PM
I am spelled to the tooth godamnit.

And give me a fat, wizardess ho who cooks and does dishes, and can haste me too, or just haste me. :drunk:

Varsus
12-13-2004, 01:20 PM
My warrior hunts 10-15 over with no spells, and if I do get spells, its usually just blues.

My empath does just fine within 8-10 trains self spelled, and if I do get spells, its strength.

-Varsus

AnticorRifling
12-13-2004, 01:34 PM
I don't need anything but I like having the extra spells because it ensures a longer duration of un-interupted exp gain.

Drew
12-13-2004, 02:20 PM
My ranger has something like 160 DS in offensive stance and hunts things that swings 300-380 so there's really no amount of spells that will allow him to hunt in offensive stance. I do like to get strength because it helps carry boxes and the ED's are nice for TD but not required. Generally with good tactics he can take anything within 15-20 levels self spelled (although I've been sending him to stronghold recently and even spelled way up my success rate there is rather... low).

AnticorRifling
12-13-2004, 02:22 PM
287 DS self spelled in offensive stance. I feel your pain.

12-13-2004, 02:29 PM
I remember when I went hunting with shalla and died like 8 times

Latrinsorm
12-13-2004, 02:40 PM
My warrior is self-sufficient. Massies are nice, but not required. Blues are nice, but not required. Statues are nice, but not required.

StrayRogue
12-13-2004, 05:00 PM
I use all the tools available to me. Ergo every spell castable if I'm hunting something difficult. Otherwise I'll go self-cast (which is COL only now due to my migration). Getting spelled up takes time, so I don't bother often getting spells that can't be stacked. Just the guards, blurs and a few other things.

Chadj
12-13-2004, 05:02 PM
I hunt safely with selfspells, although I CAN die if I get poisoned.. I don't, but I can.

Kainen
12-13-2004, 05:09 PM
I uphunt my sorcerer.. sometimes without outside spells.. but I have a ranger and wizard who keep me pretty well spelled up most of the time. Believe me I know how lucky I am.

StrayRogue
12-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Chadj
I hunt safely with selfspells, although I CAN die if I get poisoned.. I don't, but I can.

That defender poison gets the best of us Chadj.

Eiderfleur
12-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Chadj

Just two days ago you asked me for spells.. and at the time Either Fizzan or Reltov was casting spells at you!

Chadj
12-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Fizzan.

And that's because with spells, I don't need to worry about the poison, cause they can't hit me.

Self spells, my DS is roughly 230 in offense. With outside spells, it's about 300.

It's just cause I was too lazy to worry about it.

AnticorRifling
12-13-2004, 05:32 PM
Defender posion isn't that bad... 228HP + haste eating acantha leafs + sign of healing = easy way to ride out the posion :cool:

Chadj
12-13-2004, 05:35 PM
I have 158 health (it's my character's max) so getting poisoned at 20+ per can really mess me up.

Landrion
12-13-2004, 05:37 PM
My characters hunt self cast. Sometimes someone spells them up. But I dont pursue it.

Fallen
12-14-2004, 01:12 AM
I will refuse all outside aid other than during invasions as a Sorcerer.

Shalla
12-14-2004, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by RangerD1
I remember when I went hunting with shalla and died like 8 times

Hahaha, oh whatever.. You forgot to mention my saving your ass and dragging you so many times because you weren't paying attention :lol2:

Sean
12-14-2004, 01:40 AM
I hunt self cast, mainly because my defense/warding are generally good enough not to need other spells. But that might change in the future.

Mini-Spir
12-14-2004, 02:39 AM
I didn't find that I was able to hunt self-reliant as a rogue so I cancelled that account. My wizard has no problems hunting with self spells only.

Drinin
12-14-2004, 02:18 PM
I've been hunting self-spelled since creation. I'll use a statue if I happen to find one, but that's about it. I haven't hunted anywhere with my bard where I have needed outside spells to advance.

12-14-2004, 02:21 PM
I'm all about self cast and being hardcore

- Arkans

DeV
12-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Self casting hunter for my Sorcerer. If I see a statue on a critter I'll nab it because I typically always overhunt him and a little extra protection can't hurt. For my Rogue, I never ask for spells but if in the park he'll catch some blurs or guards if possible and he always keeps a statue handy.

Nakiro
12-15-2004, 04:33 PM
I don't use outside spells unless offered. I think you all know how much I die.

Edit: I can't overhunt ':*(

[Edited on 12-15-2004 by Nakiro]

BrainSucky
12-15-2004, 10:14 PM
I uphunt 5-10 levels regularly with my mid-40s ranger, and am nearly self-spelled. The one outside spell that I like the best is strength, for its RT reducing tastiness.

My rogue uphunts successfully with no spells. My sorcerer and cast-hunting empath usually could use the outside help, but typically go self-spelled and underhunt or hunt like-levelled things. Perhaps I'm just too used to using weapons to work effectively as a caster.