PDA

View Full Version : Out of Genre

GemstoneFan
09-10-2003, 12:37 PM
Do "sharply creased khaki pants" just seem a tad out of genre to you? They do to me....

You see Spinesmasher.
He appears to be a Dwarf.
He appears to be hoary with age. He has black eyes and black skin. He has a bald head.
He has old battle scars on his right leg.
He is wearing some light leather, a hooded black silk stalking cloak, a reinforced shield, some sharply creased khaki pants, some black steel-plated boots, a black silk climbing pack, and a crystal amulet.

What other OO genre items do you see in game?

Hips
09-10-2003, 12:43 PM
I think they sold those at the Artisan Faire last year, or some big merchant event like that.

Yet another reason that I'm angry about their so-called "out of genre" rules.

Jenisi
09-10-2003, 01:05 PM
I think the game has gone to shreads with trying to stay in gerne. It personally lost it's spark to me awhile ago. Stuff I think personally should be in gerne they won't make, but they'll make junk like that. It's really frustrating. Guess it just depends on the GM.

Dighn Darkbeam
09-10-2003, 01:46 PM
Those pants were sold in bulk at the Pay event before Ebon's Gate. I have a pair in a locker somewhere. Never really saw them as anything disruptive. People have facial/body rings, and true they were about, though they were all tribal in nature. I find those far more out of place than anything else.

GemstoneFan
09-10-2003, 02:17 PM
just.... sharply creased khaki pants scream "I wear Ralph Lauren Polo shirts!!" to me :)

Khaki-colored pants....ok.... but the addition of "sharply creased" just seems....over the top.

CrystalTears
09-10-2003, 03:05 PM
:lol:

I'm sorry I keep envisioning this little hairy guy with creased pants and boots trying to look cool and looking so silly.

Don't people visualize what their characters look like before they dress them?

DCSL
09-10-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Dighn Darkbeam
Those pants were sold in bulk at the Pay event before Ebon's Gate. I have a pair in a locker somewhere. Never really saw them as anything disruptive. People have facial/body rings, and true they were about, though they were all tribal in nature. I find those far more out of place than anything else.

I really think the pants are worse than the piercings. Piercings are not out of genre. Just because they're more associated with punk kids these days, doesn't mean they didn't have more meaning back in the day. Tattoos and piercings have been around forever, man.

A Bronze Age man was found frozen in some place in Italy, with his chest and limbs covered in tribal tattoos.

Piercing has been around for thousands of years. Consider nose piercing. Thought to have originated in the Middle East, it spread to India where it was adopted by the noble caste... what sort of stones and all could identify the wearer's ranks and status. Navel and eyebrow piercing goes back to Egyptian dynasties, where only the pharaohs and their families were allowed to receive it. They even have piercings in the Bible... don't ask me exactly where, I'm an agnostic and I have no idea. All I remember from a childhood as a Catholic schoolgirl was that they pierced the slaves' ears to show who they belonged to, I think... Roman soldiers pierced their nipples to show off virility (they don't teach you that in high school Latin, heh!) And another little one that I guess you might consider slightly more in-genre since it's western European... Victorian royalty had genitals and nipples pierced. Ouch.

All that said... I only have my ears pierced and it'll stay that way. But I'll defend the right of anyone else to get stuff pierced, heh.

GemstoneFan
09-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Creased khakis with black steel-plated boots. Please! Find your mom and let her dress you! :!: