PDA

View Full Version : Dodging?

Alarke
12-03-2004, 08:08 PM
I haven't really played a semi in about 5 years, so obviously i got no clue about dodging. How important is dodging for a young paladin or other semi that uses OHE/shield? If it matters, i'll be getting into MBP by about 25.

Drew
12-03-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Alarke
I haven't really played a semi in about 5 years, so obviously i got no clue about dodging. How important is dodging for a young paladin or other semi that uses OHE/shield? If it matters, i'll be getting into MBP by about 25.

Near worthless before 50 trains. I would only do .75x and catch up to 1x later.

[Edited on 12-4-2004 by Drew]

Alarke
12-03-2004, 08:23 PM
so even before 50 i should .75 in it? i was planning on going 3x in armor to get into MBP by 26 and then stopping armor and catching back up in dodging, is that viable or will i just get hammered between 15-30?

Drew
12-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Alarke
so even before 50 i should .75 in it? i was planning on going 3x in armor to get into MBP by 26 and then stopping armor and catching back up in dodging, is that viable or will i just get hammered between 15-30?

Nope, that would work fine as long as you aren't robbing too many points from other skills. Between 0-40 you could get by with 0 dodge training really, but some would be good considering paladins don't get as much DS as the other two semis do.

My ranger has 0 dodge near 40 and uses two handed weapons so he has no shield and does just fine and he hunts bolting creatures, so I'm positive that if you hunted non-bolters you could do it (and in MBP bolters near your level won't do much to you anyway).

As it is, since dodge doesn't help with dodging manuevers like the document says, it's just really expensive DS.

Nieninque
12-04-2004, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by Drew

As it is, since dodge doesn't help with dodging manuevers like the document says, it's just really expensive DS.

Doesnt help with dodging Maneuvers?

Dodging
A character training in this skill learns combat techniques to deflect or avoid blows, provided that the character is not completely incapacitated (sleeping, paralyzed, etc.). The character's Defensive Strength (DS) and ability to avoid many maneuver attacks take the Dodging skill into account.

coldseptember
12-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Actually, dodging I've found to be quite useful even in the levels before 30. You can completely eliminate CM and free up tons of TPs because dodging pretty much replaces it. Only loss is the maneuvers...and that isn't really much of a loss.

Also, dodging increases your DS pretty substantially, I think.

It's an excellent idea to at least single it for any semi.

Gsgeek
12-11-2004, 09:47 PM
How does dodging eliminate the need for CM?

CM provide not only access to the maneuver list but also directly provides increases to AS.

I make CM mandatory for any blade swinging character that I have. Most of the time I will single dodge too. Doing both with my paladin so far.

Elfie
12-30-2004, 03:31 PM
Patron's Blessing increases the caster's effective Combat Maneuvers ranks for purposes of the Combat Maneuver List (CML) and Attack Strength (AS). Isnt this suppose to substitute the miss trainings for CM and put it into other skills. And if you train lore blessings you could get extra CM points. I have a 15 train paladin and single trains in lore blessing, but i still cant seem to see the extra points that you gain from 1611. Anybody know how to use the points you gain from the spell or are the points gained from the spell just directly assists the AS part?

Artha
12-30-2004, 03:38 PM
Patron's Blessing increases the caster's effective Combat Maneuvers ranks for purposes of the Combat Maneuver List (CML) and Attack Strength (AS). Isnt this suppose to substitute the miss trainings for CM and put it into other skills. And if you train lore blessings you could get extra CM points.
1.) No. This doesn't imitate 1x training like mobiles and song of mirrors do for bards and rangers.
2.) You do not get CM points from this spell.

I have a 15 train paladin and single trains in lore blessing, but i still cant seem to see the extra points that you gain from 1611.
Spiritual Lore, Blessings bonus thresholds: 3, 6, 10, 15, 21, 28, 36, 45, 55, 66, 78, and 91 ranks
You should be getting 4 extra points (+2 AS) on top of the 10+.75(paladin ranks)...if you're not, something's wrong.

Anybody know how to use the points you gain from the spell or are the points gained from the spell just directly assists the AS part?
You don't get points from the spell, it just helps directly with AS and performing combat maneuvers, as well as dodging things like boil earth.

Fengus
12-30-2004, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Nieninque
[quote]Originally posted by Drew
...it's just really expensive DS.

Dodging
A character training in this skill learns combat techniques to deflect or avoid blows....

The only man attacks it might affect are the new ones added after dodging was introduced, so not many at all. And also if he plans on 2x shields, he will no doubt be using a large shield and thus dodging has less impact on EPD, and in heavier armor the DS bonus is reduced. In this case with a heavy armor and heavy shield dodge has very little impact, and is mostly a waste.

I definately wouldn't worry about it till 26, and then I would rethink. Plus at <30 you can easily get a few outside spells to make up for any training irregularity.