PDA

View Full Version : Volume of playerbase?

Demerson
07-11-2016, 12:15 PM
Hey all, I'm an old GS3 player thinking about returning. I used to play back in the Prodigy/AOL days and when the game first went premium.

I was wondering about how big the player base is these days? How many people can you expect to see running around during primetime? What's the most populated city? Anything else you guys feel is relevant would be cool to hear about.

Thanks.

Red
07-11-2016, 12:22 PM
You can sign up for a free to play account and relive the experience for free! FYI that is how they get ya.....

Taernath
07-11-2016, 12:25 PM
There are 234 on right now, during prime time there might be mid-400's.

Here's a polling topic Donquix did on it:
http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?87260-some-demographics

Gelston
07-11-2016, 12:31 PM
There are 234 on right now, during prime time there might be mid-400's.

Here's a polling topic Donquix did on it:
http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?87260-some-demographics

All of them are Taernath and his personalities.

Haldrik
07-11-2016, 12:40 PM
There was 450 people last night.

Demerson
07-11-2016, 01:57 PM
Damn, that's quite a drop. I used to remember there being 2000+ on at prime time, though to be fair this was a LONG time ago.

Still considering resubbing though, if even just for a month or two. The Landing still the most populated town?

Gelston
07-11-2016, 01:59 PM
Damn, that's quite a drop. I used to remember there being 2000+ on at prime time, though to be fair this was a LONG time ago.

Still considering resubbing though, if even just for a month or two. The Landing still the most populated town?

It dropped below a consistent 1000 in the early 2000s. As far as I could tell, Landing was the most populous. Probably more so now that a new range of levels can hunt there.

Wesley
07-11-2016, 02:17 PM

I just resubbed myself, though I haven't been away too too long. About 6 years if you don't count the month I stopped in when it went Free to play last year.

It's absolutely worth resubscribing, but as they suggested here, try a free to play account and try it out for yourself if you aren't sure. There have consistently been around 400 a night most evenings, and while yes, it's a significant amount fewer than the 1000-2000 we used to have in the late 90s, it's about as healthy a population for any mud you'll ever see these days. It never feels like you're out there alone, unless you go out into a place where that's what you want. The Landing seems to have the healthiest population, like always, and I frequently come across other people while I'm out hunting. But not too many people that I have to pick a room to stand in and wait for a monster to spawn. There's plenty of space, the systems are complex and interesting, and development on the game still happens.

It's well worth the subscription price.

Edit to add:

I forgot to mention lich. Lich is an extensive third party script that everyone uses these days. It has many, many features, but the most important one for the sake of "playerbase volume" is that everyone is always in constant contact with one another now. It's a worldwide Amunet. No limits on distance, so while there aren't 2000 of us, all 400 of us are in the same place, at the same time, essentially.

Haldrik
07-11-2016, 02:59 PM

It hasn't been that high in like... 15+ years.

I think its been 400-500 for the last 10 years at least

Naelan
07-11-2016, 03:01 PM
I've found that I've enjoyed Gemstone more this time around than I did in the early to mid 2000s. Even with a smaller player base the game doesn't feel empty. The quality of the GM staff has improved as of late as well.

Luftstreitkräfte
07-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Welcome back. The current amount of players is the perfect amount. It does take a little work to get healing or other services in some of the lesser populated towns, but if you're up for adventure that's the way to go. Also the new mechanics out make the game 101010x times better.

Candor
07-11-2016, 05:56 PM
I think its been 400-500 for the last 10 years at least

If we're going to talk the entire playerbase you would have to add the platinum and shattered numbers. I assume the shattered number is very small, but platinum should be a bit larger.

Wrathbringer
07-11-2016, 05:58 PM
If we're going to talk the entire playerbase you would have to add the platinum and scattered numbers. I assume the scattered number is very small, but platinum should be a bit larger.

It's shattered. dereeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrp

Warriorbird
07-11-2016, 07:50 PM
Let me make a culturally appropriate reference for Candor's age group so he'll understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oaO6rpPwUA

Taernath
07-11-2016, 08:02 PM
Let me make a culturally appropriate reference for Candor's age group so he'll understand.

The Stones are timeless, but I don't think Candor would have listened to them anyway.

Warriorbird
07-11-2016, 08:08 PM
The Stones are timeless, but I don't think Candor would have listened to them anyway.

Okay okay. Original pseudonym Dean Koontz?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cf/Shattered_cover_Dean_Koontz.jpg

Demerson
07-11-2016, 08:11 PM
Well, I restarted my f2p account that just has a lvl 4 Rogue. Tried out Lich and it's actually really nice, gives more of a sense of community, which is important for me given the low population numbers.

Just wondering, would anyone be able to answer a bunch of random questions about the game and rogues thru PMs or such sort? I've been reading up a bunch, like in the new player sections and on the gs wiki and whatnot, but I'm still confused about a lot. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Warriorbird
07-11-2016, 08:13 PM
Well, I restarted my f2p account that just has a lvl 4 Rogue. Tried out Lich and it's actually really nice, gives more of a sense of community, which is important for me given the low population numbers.

Just wondering, would anyone be able to answer a bunch of random questions about the game and rogues thru PMs or such sort? I've been reading up a bunch, like in the new player sections and on the gs wiki and whatnot, but I'm still confused about a lot. I'd greatly appreciate it!

Just ask for advice in the Rogue folder. Most of the best Rogue folks will probably respond (no Donald Trump.)

Demerson
07-11-2016, 08:34 PM
Just ask for advice in the Rogue folder. Most of the best Rogue folks will probably respond (no Donald Trump.)

Thanks, I'll do just that!

Candor
07-11-2016, 09:27 PM

Wrong

Gelston
07-11-2016, 10:39 PM
If we're going to talk the entire playerbase you would have to add the platinum and shattered numbers. I assume the shattered number is very small, but platinum should be a bit larger.

Yeah, no, Platinum doesn't add a lot more. During festivals it may be at 30.

Taernath
07-11-2016, 10:53 PM
Wrong

I had you pegged for someone who preferred Pat Boone's Tutti Frutti cover over the original.

Candor
07-12-2016, 02:04 PM
I had you pegged for someone who preferred Pat Boone's Tutti Frutti cover over the original.

This is what I have you pegged as...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_JPcBwYGmo