PDA

View Full Version : Multi-accounting

kheldarin
11-28-2004, 06:42 PM
Thinking about getting a whole new account just to MA, mainly cause I wanna spell up my bard cause he's a little bitch who can't handle anything his age.

So is it generally frowned upon? Or do any of you multi-account also?

Brattt8525
11-28-2004, 06:54 PM
I MA, but those that I hang around with in GS do not know that they are run by the same person. I have MA'ed for about 4 years, by that I mean I have 2 accounts. I do not make a practice of my characters being in the same room, but even when they are no one has been able to tell.

The ones that drive me batty are those who blantely MA in public, zombie comes in and spells them up then walks out, or just sits there.

Jenisi
11-28-2004, 07:07 PM
I MA! And love it...

Snapp
11-28-2004, 07:09 PM
I don't see any problems with MAing as long as you aren't lame about it. Lame meaning being a spell zombie in public or having one fight the other's battle.

11-28-2004, 07:10 PM
I don't MA, but I also don't give a rat's dick if someone does MA.

- Arkans

Trinitis
11-28-2004, 07:24 PM
I'd like to point one thing out..

Just because someone walks into the room, spells someone else up, and walks off without a word does not always mean they are MA'in.

Its could be either a whispered conversation, or a friend helping another, and the entire conversation is happening OOG.

I do this a lot with my friends.

ThemOnAIM : Hey, could I get a few spells?
MeOnAIM : Sure, where are you?
ThemOnAIM : Town well.
MeOnAIM : OMW

Then I show up, spell them up, and walk off. I don't need a thanks outloud or nothing, I did my purpose and I leave.

That, And I'm also known to randomly spell people up, for no reason whatso ever.

Ivex
11-28-2004, 07:36 PM
I've MA'd some of my time here, I often interact with my characters (it's interesting to say the least, with two different personalities and me as a person only have one), but my sorc will spell the rogue up and the rogue will pick the sorc's boxes, only rarely have they ever fought side by side (mostly because the sorc was quite a bit older, but in GS3 you could level faster so he caught up), the only time I did that was in roa'ters because they are lame and needed owned. :) Pain inflict and ambush head

Dhuul
11-28-2004, 08:22 PM
gs is so easy that MAing makes you look retarded

Chadj
11-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Back when Chadj was under 30 and needed spells for Kiramon (getting hit too much would screw the script up), I'd have Filswolf at a table doing AFK spelling up on him. I havn't had Chadj and Filswolf at the same time since Chadj was 30 though, so.. bah.

Note, as long as you don't give into the temptation of abusing it, like using the second char in the first chars fights, then it's all good. I've done it once in the past with Klaive, and I can't say I regret it, but regardless.. It shouldn't really be done.

[Edited on 11-29-2004 by Chadj]

AnticorRifling
11-28-2004, 08:43 PM
I MA but they are in different towns.

Soulpieced
11-28-2004, 08:51 PM
Pretty much everyone who plays Gemstone multi-accounts now. It's grown from taboo to regularity.

Fallen
11-28-2004, 09:01 PM
Pretty much everyone who plays Gemstone multi-accounts now. It's grown from taboo to regularity. >>

Would you say that people who have actively played for three years or more total have a 50% chance of MAing? Seems a bit high.

Soulpieced
11-28-2004, 09:07 PM
I'd say it's probably higher than 50% among players falling into either of the following categories...

A) That have been playing for 3 years or more.

or

B) Are over level 50.

Insodus
11-28-2004, 09:56 PM
Insodus is a warrior and warriors get shafted so bad.. I couldnt hunt without spells. I made an account with a wizard for spell ups and I think its great. and it does actually make for some interesting roleplay if you are clever about it.

Drew
11-28-2004, 09:59 PM
Just to be contrarian, I've started playing GS 12 years ago and have never MA'd, I've never even used friends account to spell my characters up. On the other hand, there is an exception to every rule, so I'm not arguing the point.

Chadj
11-28-2004, 10:42 PM
First time I MA'ed was 6 months back.

4a6c1
11-28-2004, 10:53 PM
Multi-accounting is fine. But do it like you masterbate. In secret and make sure it dosnt ruin anyone elses enjoyment. :yes:

Jolena
11-28-2004, 11:05 PM
I MA and I use my wizardess to spell up my rogue or others at times however I also play them against each other when in the same room. I have even carried on a fight between the two of them with several others who know me VERY well and they were amazed that I could do it so well. It's hard but its worth it to me as RP is important. However, yeah I figure if I have the extra account and can use the help with spells then why the hell not? heh. I do NOT however, nor will I ever or have ever, used them to help each other out in a fight against another person.

Betheny
11-28-2004, 11:07 PM
I MA.

My characters rarely, if ever, interact. But when they do, they do INTERACT. Generally I keep them in seperate towns, to get rid of any temptation I might have to rescue myself or spell myself up, though it does happen privately on rare occasions when I'm very frustrated.

11-28-2004, 11:19 PM
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, I MA, and my characters are in seperate towns.

Oh and I use MAing for handing off items to my packhorses. :shrug:

Toxicvixen
11-28-2004, 11:29 PM
I MA. I like to have one hunting while the other one is shopping. :smilegrin:

Praefection
11-29-2004, 01:02 AM
I have two accounts but it's rare for me to log in the other onless it's to be a mule for one of my locker characters. Or the rare time I need a few wizardly spells that my sorceress can't cast.

Drew
11-29-2004, 01:22 AM
Wow, I didn't realize so many people MA'd.

Stunseed
11-29-2004, 01:46 AM
I MA, I like to think I do it quite well. Between my main account which has my Ranger, Bard and Cleric...And the Dark Magician. Alot of people know from OOC references that I am also him, but IC there is quite a difference. Even role-playing them together is interesting.

I play them separate, or they are known to hunt together if there is someone else around. It's funny to see them interact, how DM is such a smartass to the overconfident, cocky Ranger.

Sean
11-29-2004, 01:55 AM
I have 2 accts, I rarely use my 2nd. Generally I have the 2nd because I enjoy Tijay as my main character the most but hunting and such generally takes me to boring places like EN, Teras, or the Rift and the other other acct gives me a release from the boring towns.

Drew2
11-29-2004, 03:02 AM
I've never had my own 2 accounts, but there was a point where I had access to around 7 accounts and I usually had 3 or more open at any given time. To date, I only have access to 2 (not including my own, since that one is closed) but I don't play them.

Betheny
11-29-2004, 01:21 PM
By the way, Glima / Reddwolf / Emistran is the biggest fucking blatant MAer.

DeV
11-29-2004, 01:45 PM
I have access to my girlriends account so if she isn't on RP'ing with me or I can't call and have her log on I'll MA when I am in serious need of something. Other than that I prefer focusing on one character at at time.

Back
11-29-2004, 01:49 PM
Whats the best profession for a slave?

My 34 train lockpicking bard was an awesome support char. Picked boxes, sang gems, loresang, elemental defence spells... never zombie hunted with him though. Could have been great in that way also.

Betheny
11-29-2004, 01:52 PM
a picking empath with a shitload of wizard and raise dead scrolls!

hectomaner
11-29-2004, 02:00 PM
i MA, and its fine by me, close friends know who all i control. but i do not MA when it comes into PvP situations, i keep them all CvC. this is where a lot of people make it look really bad when they get their older guy to come in and kill you.

i actually did it one time though, but thats because the guy was talking mad shit via AIM, and he was daring me to bring in my wizard because he'd slaughter him too. so i proved him wrong

hectomaner
11-29-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Toxicvixen
I MA. I like to have one hunting while the other one is shopping. :smilegrin:

you dirty afk script hunter, or afk script shopper!!!

i wonder which is worse

;)

Tsa`ah
11-29-2004, 02:21 PM
I used to MA to a point.

I only used my casting characters for spells on the younger characters and never in the open. I even utilized a script that would exit the table and log off when the mana and spirit were replenished. I used my rogue to pick boxes for my other characters, and my bard to sing to gems ... and that was about it.

I didn't leave a zombie in public, I never spelled up my ranger or rogue, nor did I bring either into conflicts my younger characters were involved with, and I never had more than 1 character in public at any given time ... with the exception of dealing with Vif on one occasion.

I don't think most people have a problem with it so long as it's not shoved in their faces.

Captain Obvious was never that popular.

Czeska
11-29-2004, 02:47 PM
A few months ago when my account was closed, a friend put one of my characters on her 2nd account so I could still play some. I haven't moved her back yet, and I have MA'd on occasion. I keep their personalities separate, and it can be exhausting, but people who never knew they were both me were shocked to find out later, so apparently I did ok with the RP.

Aside from that, I don't do it because I'm likely to screw up and get one of them killed while hunting. My friends who MA and RP their characters totally different impress and entertain me. Those who do nothing but use their main character to drag around a few zombies are a bit irritating to me, but to each his own.

I rarely have in game physical conflicts, so I'd never have a reason to call in one of my "others" to solve it. Besides, my girls are generally liked, and if anyone screws with them (rare) they have enough friends and in-game family to come to their defense.

Toxicvixen
11-29-2004, 02:49 PM
I don't afk script! I don't have any good scripts to do so! No, I wrote that sentence wrong, usually one is resting from hunting while the other one shops. Then when they are clear I leave the shopping one glazed out in the store and hunt real quick. :grin: mmmm.... A script for shopping! I need me one of those!

Trouble
11-29-2004, 03:38 PM
I have a few accounts and have at least two logged in at any given time. Usually what I do it hunt one while the other is resting, and so on.

4a6c1
11-29-2004, 03:55 PM
wtf?

Trouble

Unregistered

Drew
11-29-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Trouble
I have a few accounts and have at least two logged in at any given time. Usually what I do it hunt one while the other is resting, and so on.

How can someone be unregistered and have 0 posts?:?:

Drew
11-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Oh, Jihna beat me to it.

4a6c1
11-29-2004, 03:57 PM
:grin:

kheldarin
11-29-2004, 05:26 PM
Yeah..I plan to spell up my paladin and bard and hopefully help them hunt with my sorcerer.

Stunning, exploding limbs, and cursing is good enough to turn any monster into a giant rat.

Soulpieced
11-29-2004, 06:16 PM
I'd say empath is probably best.

Latrinsorm
11-29-2004, 06:19 PM
For slaves: For unique abilities, empaths are easy to get along without, same with locksmiths. Clerics are a bit harder, and bards are impossible. As a warrior, I'd say bard or wizard would be best for a slave.

edit: rephrase

[Edited on 11-29-2004 by Latrinsorm]