PDA

View Full Version : Isolationist

Tendarian
09-08-2003, 02:02 AM
I think the US should become more isolationist and stop policing the world. Not cause we do a bad job but then someone (hopefully EU or even the UN-with the US as a very small player) would come and see it aint that great and everyone hates authority. It aint cheap either so why not share the wealth. What are your opinions on doing this? Is there an economic downside im overlooking? Do you think a different country or countries would step up and take over?

Also why is the US held to such higher standards? Ive heard people claim Bush was more evil than Saddam and they said it with a staight face! I think it was the female comedian on either cnn or one of those sunday morning political shows a month or two ago.

ElanthianSiren
09-08-2003, 02:29 AM
People damn Bush because he's a liar. It's for the same reason that on PC we say "oh, who cares what so and so says...I've caught them in 22 lies since I've known them." Bottom line -- there were no WMD. The Bush admin knew there were no WMD. The war in Iraq risked the precious lives of thousands of US soldiers for vendetta -- plain and simple, and that aggitates people.

The second thing that aggitates people is the precident that the latest war in Iraq has set. Think about this... that war was the first time the united states EVER attacked another country unprovoked. That says a lot about the frailty of our leadership, which is why it was conveniently lumped into the War with Afganastan.

As far as isolationism goes, I have a hard time with it; the world economy today is a global economy. While I agree we shouldn't be running around saving the world all the time, it's more because we have a whole slew of people in this country who are also 1. homeless. 2. hungry, and most importantly, 3. intelligent, yet financially incapable of realizing their potential.

Then I sit back and wonder why the richest country in the world is also ranked so low in the quality of its healthcare -- arg... don't even get me started on healthcare.

Subscript of the bottom line: It's my opinion that we should fix stuff in our own yard before we go sniffing at other people's.

-Melissa

09-08-2003, 05:40 AM
Yes, America should mind its own damn business.