PDA

View Full Version : Will Illegal Alters Be Changed?

Sinful Saint
11-27-2004, 10:25 AM
Heya! Got a question or two...

Say I got a shadowsilk container that I want deepened or lightened. Will the merchant take the item and do it or will he or she alter it to something suitably legal and boring like "spidersilk" container?

If I provide the shadowsilk, can I use it to include the word shadowsilk in another alter?

Thanks!
WS

HarmNone
11-27-2004, 10:29 AM
I'd say that depends on the alterer. If you have an item that contains a reference to a material (or whatever) that is now considered "illegal", and the alterer is informed enough to catch it, they may very well change it. A good rule of thumb is...don't have such items altered if you don't want to risk a change. ;)

Joe
11-27-2004, 11:00 AM
If an alterer changed that item without telling me they had that intention first, I'd raise mortal hell.

HarmNone
11-27-2004, 11:28 AM
They usually will tell you they're going to change it, Joe. Then, they'll change it. You can raise all the unmitigated hell you wish. The item will still be changed if the GM decides it needs to be changed. :shrug:

GSLeloo
11-27-2004, 11:43 AM
I don't get why if they already made the alter they'd change it now cause they changed their mind. It should be applied only to new alters.

HarmNone
11-27-2004, 11:47 AM
Generally, to my knowledge, the GMs won't make the effort to change an item unless that item is brought to their attention (like bringing such an item to be altered). They've decided that some items just shouldn't be...shadowsilk is one of those things. It was brought into the game by mistake, and never should have been allowed in the first place. At least, that's how I understand it.

While that may not seem right to you, Leloo, it seems right to the PTB, and it is they who make the decision. :shrug:

GSLeloo
11-27-2004, 11:48 AM
Hmm.. then I think they should find a way to compensate for their mistake.

HarmNone
11-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Compensate in what way? The GM who originally made the mistake is, in all likelihood, long gone. If it's important to somebody to keep the item as it is, don't bring it for altering, or bring it to the attention of the GMs in any other way.

It's their game. That's my point. If they don't want a certain item or material in the game, that's their decision to make. For the money you pay, they owe you a game to play. That's all they owe you. If you don't like the game you're playing, you can always go elsewhere to play. Therefore, they try to make the game enjoyable for you. However, if your enjoyment is based on having an item made of shadowsilk (as an example), and the GMs decide there is to be no shadowsilk in their game, you're out of luck. There's nothing that says you pays your nickle to get shadowsilk. ;)

GSLeloo
11-27-2004, 12:48 PM
What was the mistake anyway? And why don't they want shadowsilk around?

Shari
11-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Because "shadowsilk" was actually something that Kyalia made up during an alter session. I don't remember exactly if a person told her that's what they wanted or if she simply made it up to give the person a unique kind of fabric.

Do I think that illegal alters should be changed? In the past I would have said no. But I'm getting sick of watching people get away with altering belly-chains into belly-rings and other such crap. If you don't want to loose that "belly-ring" noun then don't take the risk handing it to a merchant only to have it changed.

That being said, I think if a merchant is handed something to be altered that is against "the rules" I think that merchant should inform the owner and tell them they need to change it something that fits the rules.

[Edited on 11-27-2004 by Jesae]

SpunGirl
11-27-2004, 01:01 PM
They'll change Ice-age stuff to the proper name if you had it over. And yeah, count on Kyalia.

-K

Joe
11-27-2004, 06:41 PM
The ICE-age stuff is understandable. As for the few shadowsilk items I have, I suspect I'll be hiding them in a locker or two for some time now. :)

Soulpieced
11-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Simple response, don't be stupid and get items with "illegal" descriptions altered because they probably are already. However, GM's will not go out of their way to convert your ICE items or otherwise illegal alters.

crazymage
11-27-2004, 07:06 PM
shadowsilk isnt illegal you just need to provide it, it was a special halloween material.

Sinful Saint
11-27-2004, 09:30 PM
It's a damn shame...I like the word. Shadowsilk. Conjures a really...smooth mental image. Guess I won't be risking my shadowsilk on a merchant then altho it's a damn shame cos most of the shadowsilk containers I seen are heavy with only large pockets.

11-27-2004, 09:31 PM
I gave Sukara a red RUBBER, FUCKING RUBBER nose, and a cute pair of gloves to alter into some rubber gloves, and not only would she not do it, but she kept my rubber nose.

Caramia
11-28-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by crazymage
shadowsilk isnt illegal you just need to provide it, it was a special halloween material.

You obviously don't read the official boards, Sergey. Kyalia admitted that she mistakenly made that stuff years ago and it's since not been allowed. If another GM made stuff out of it at EG, you can bet they've been spoken to.

LordRanad
12-21-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Stanley Burrell
I gave Sukara a red RUBBER, FUCKING RUBBER nose, and a cute pair of gloves to alter into some rubber gloves, and not only would she not do it, but she kept my rubber nose.

I've seen this in at least one other forum and discussion...how long are you going t be complaining about it? You lost a rubber nose...big deal? You'd look like a fool with it anyway.

AnticorRifling
12-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by LordRanad
You'd look like a fool with it anyway.

Says the person that bumps a month old thread to take a jab at someone.

He wasn't wearing the rubber nose, he wanted to wear rubber gloves I'm guessing for a doctor theme (kind of out of genre but whatever)

Kainen
12-21-2004, 09:24 AM
:clap: well said Anticor

Fission
12-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Whether or not merchants will alter things like that depends on the merchant. I had one of the shadowsilk pieces made in Kyalia's first batch of them, and I've since had a shadowsilk container lightened and deepened.

If you're worried about it, ask beforehand. I've been told more than once, for illegal/ICE Age/etc. items that it would be changed if it went into their hands. Needless to say, none of them did, and were still worked on later by others.

Galleazzo
12-22-2004, 01:07 AM
Same with me, Fission. My cleric's got a eog shield he's had since forever, and 2 GMs told me they'd make that ora if they got their hands on it. They haven't and won't.

Fengus
12-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by GSLeloo
I don't get why if they already made the alter they'd change it now cause they changed their mind.

Well some stuff is just plain stupid, isn't shadowsilk from EQ or something? Others are ICE and were changed so there is no legal problems between Simu and ICE.

I'm pretty sure they will get changed if you try to get an alter. I know this used to be true with the metals, but its been so long since the deICEing that I don't really know if they care anymore.