PDA

View Full Version : Vampiric Roleplay

Apollyon
09-07-2003, 11:37 PM
What do you guys think of roleplaying a vampire? Can it be done? I would think if you made a rather dead-looking sorcerer, and got the fangs and did your research on vampires you could pull it off. Granted, it'd be hard acting like an undead creature... However, I think it would be rather fun. What do you all think?

09-07-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Apollyon
What do you guys think of roleplaying a vampire? Can it be done? I would think if you made a rather dead-looking sorcerer, and got the fangs and did your research on vampires you could pull it off. Granted, it'd be hard acting like an undead creature... However, I think it would be rather fun. What do you all think?

Yes. It can be done and done well. It's just very difficult and involved.

Trinitis
09-08-2003, 12:17 AM
Well, I've seen some people do it really well, and others do it very poorly. One thing to keep in mind..as a vampire..your not going to let hardly anyone know..its your unlife at stake.

-Adredrin

Puns intended.

Makkah
09-08-2003, 01:09 AM
I've always really liked the idea and wished there were mechanics to make it happen with a little higher frequency. I think 730 and the Friend-or-Foe system might help.

rht

Bestatte
09-08-2003, 08:33 AM
Hm. Well in a sense, all characters who are CoL masters are vampiric to some extent. They walk around and do their thing, but they have no souls. Vampires aren't just bloodsuckers according to folk lore; they're the soul-less.

Plus the fact that -no one- dies permanently unless they have no deeds kinda puts a damper in the notion of vampiric roleplay. Vampires are the immortals, afterall. What fun is it to be immortal, when everyone else can be easily resurrected when they die?

There's no challenge, no excitement, no "oomph" to living in Gemstone, because death is a non-issue. Got a diamond? Get another life. From a roleplaying point of view, it's a no-brainer, and a devaluation of the excitement of risk. From a mechanics point of view, sure it sucks to have the experience loss, but you don't need experience points to roleplay.

<shrugs>

09-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Bestatte
From a mechanics point of view, sure it sucks to have the experience loss, but you don't need experience points to roleplay.

<shrugs>

You need experience to roleplay. You can't very well roleplay a powerful wizard if you're level 3. If you did, it'd blow up in your face the first time a kobold or rolton wandered by Hearthstone's steps...

09-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Bestatte
Hm. Well in a sense, all characters who are CoL masters are vampiric to some extent. They walk around and do their thing, but they have no souls. Vampires aren't just bloodsuckers according to folk lore; they're the soul-less.

Plus the fact that -no one- dies permanently unless they have no deeds kinda puts a damper in the notion of vampiric roleplay. Vampires are the immortals, afterall. What fun is it to be immortal, when everyone else can be easily resurrected when they die?

There's no challenge, no excitement, no "oomph" to living in Gemstone, because death is a non-issue. Got a diamond? Get another life. From a roleplaying point of view, it's a no-brainer, and a devaluation of the excitement of risk. From a mechanics point of view, sure it sucks to have the experience loss, but you don't need experience points to roleplay.

<shrugs>

CoL allegidly takes your soul, but no actual transfer seems to take place. Further, the Poohbah seems to think he has corrupted you. What if you were corrupt before you joined?

So Lorminstra's priestess dislikes CoL masters. So what? I think that's merely because you had offered your services to a dark force.

In my personal opinion, your soul is in tact.

Halfsilver
09-08-2003, 02:06 PM
I agree completely with Bestatte on the matter of death in Gems.

As grays says when people threaten him or he dies,

"So? Death is cheap."

Maybe the new DR system in GS4 will make it a little more painful to die.
I really don't like the removal of permenant death, though.

-grays(player of)

[Edited on 9-8-2003 by Halfsilver]

HarmNone
09-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Tea & Strumpets
<shrugs>
You need experience to roleplay. You can't very well roleplay a powerful wizard if you're level 3. If you did, it'd blow up in your face the first time a kobold or rolton wandered by Hearthstone's steps... [/quote]

That is true in GemStone3 because of the way the game is set up. It is not true in all MU*S. In a game that does not rely on classes and levels to determine "power", that is not true. There are many such games, actually.

HarmNone

[Edited on 9-8-2003 by HarmNone]

StrayRogue
09-08-2003, 03:58 PM
Iffy, very iffy. It *could* be done, but with great difficulty. I am not sure many here could pull it off well enough for me, the impartial observer to look at him and think "Fuck, thats a vampire". Remember all the shit Pattie the "kobold" got?

I know alot of people are totally against RPing a vampire, lycanthrope or other race. But then, it all depends on how well its pulled off.