PDA

View Full Version : Do you think forging is working as intended?

kutter
05-19-2016, 03:21 PM
I am just curious if anyone else wonders if forging is working in the way the GM's thought it would. Do you think they foresaw that no one would keep anything other than the perfects and discard/give away everything else and if so, why is there even a scale for anything other than a perfect?

From a mechanical perspective a superior is not much of a downgrade from a perfect yet no one wants them. I know for a lifetime uber weapon a perfect is the way to go, but for just a plain jane vanilla 20-50 train character, a 6 or 7 enchant superior is a pretty darn good weapon.

I am in the forge, duh, so I have time to think about it.

Gelston
05-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Well, I remember back when well-made and such used to be fairly common. I think they had to have an inkling of a feeling that the more elite services would never be spent on something less than perfect though.

Jarvan
05-19-2016, 04:57 PM
oddly.. back when there was still hope for mining/smelting, and discussion about it. The GM involved had talked about being able to melt down less then perfect blade parts and recover most of the metal.

So yeah, I think they knew less then perfects on anything but the rarest metal were blah.

Of course... since the rarest of metals (while not common mind you) has been handed out multiple times now...

Soulance
05-19-2016, 05:14 PM
My guess would be that newcomers don't really know the benefits of a player-forged weapon and maybe why they don't seek them out. Could just be my experience too as I never really looked into them until later on.

But now that you mention it, it would be a good fit for some of my lower level characters. Normally I just equip them with 4x stuff and run. Maybe that's it too, the now abundance of 4x crap out there that's just sitting in the pawn shop nowadays...

Now if you could melt down crap stuff and use the metal, that would be cool...and be able to fuse metals together to lighten or possibly add flareing metals...

Gelston
05-19-2016, 05:30 PM
I used to always look for the less than perfect enchanted crap for my new characters. I think most of the people still playing GS have been doing it for a while and generally can afford to just spring for the perfect stuff though. If GS had a constant influx of new people, I imagine the less than perfect stuff would be a lot more prominent.

Nathala Crane
05-19-2016, 09:24 PM
My oldest character is using a superior for the very reason you cited, OP. I never ponied up the silver for a perfect, because frankly it's just not THAT much of an advantage over what he has now.

Soon, though, I hope to forge my own perfect and that will be my "end game" weapon for that character.

Taernath
05-19-2016, 09:55 PM
My oldest character is using a superior for the very reason you cited, OP. I never ponied up the silver for a perfect, because frankly it's just not THAT much of an advantage over what he has now.

Soon, though, I hope to forge my own perfect and that will be my "end game" weapon for that character.

Same. I think superiors move well, you just don't see a lot of obsessing over them because you can just go to playershops and get whatever it is you need for 200k. I see a couple forgers regularly putting their superiors up there, so I'd imagine they do well enough.

If I ever do get a perfect, it'll probably be one I do myself.

Ososis
05-19-2016, 10:08 PM
I would like superiors to be worth more at the pawn shop. Right now my vultite superiors are what I give away for free to turnips because I have SO MANY. I turn about 10 superiors per perfect, and have made 6 perfects thus far. Thats 60ish superiors I can not sell because everyone else is churning em out as well, so I give em away where I can or pawn em for 20k.

Superior and perfect are almost the same, but it's a question of if you want to drop 10+mil into a 100k (or less) weapon. Especially when you can bargain basement a 4x perfect for a a mil or so. Superiors are great for when your perfect is in the shop though, great value. But I (personally) wouldn't spend the money to make a superior a project piece. Same with imflass.

But that is a medical question and I am not a medical doctor...
Please sign here indicating I informed you that that was a medical question and I am not a medical doctor.

Androidpk
05-19-2016, 10:09 PM
I stopped forging once I made a superior golvern. Couldn't pry that from my dead hands :)

Gnomad
05-19-2016, 10:32 PM
The number of extra superiors that get churned out per one perfect mean that there's always a supply out there. They're great 4x weapons for alts, but they're rarely worth talking about beyond that.

I don't have a playershop and I have limited locker space, so I just hand out my unenchanted mithrils to the newbies, and pass the 4x ones to alts etc. Maybe someday I'd sell some on the PC, but eh.

I stopped forging once I made a superior golvern. Couldn't pry that from my dead hands :)

Unless you're an ithzir

kutter
05-19-2016, 10:34 PM
I guess it got me thinking because I am in the process of trying to make a perfect bastard sword for a friend, so of course, with watching all the scroll it got me thinking about how much better is a perfect really than a superior. From a pure numbers standpoint it is almost nothing, but the perception when you pull out your Perfectly folded Blued Steel Wakizashi, the cool factor is way over, and I get that. So I am going to crank out a few more blades then make the hilts and when I have 10 of each, see if I get a perfect for her. Probably just end up with 10 Superiors so we will see what happens then.

Gnomad
05-19-2016, 10:35 PM
I guess it got me thinking because I am in the process of trying to make a perfect bastard sword for a friend, so of course, with watching all the scroll it got me thinking about how much better is a perfect really than a superior. From a pure numbers standpoint it is almost nothing, but the perception when you pull out your Perfectly folded Blued Steel Wakizashi, the cool factor is way over, and I get that. So I am going to crank out a few more blades then make the hilts and when I have 10 of each, see if I get a perfect for her. Probably just end up with 10 Superiors so we will see what happens then.

You can do 12 joins on a Gift of Eonak, if you're quick. I usually make 11 blades and hilts and then go to town.

Izalude
05-20-2016, 12:48 AM
I put together 18 daggers the other day using 2 gifts of Eonak, and I got 5 perfects out of the bunch.

Donquix
05-20-2016, 11:26 PM
Perfect isn't that much of an improvement over non-forged weapons. Say best case scenario, a lance. Ignoring cloth...because lets face it, if you hit something in cloth with a weapon it's gonna get fucked up, on average (averaging all the DFs across the other armors) it's fairly small DF increase still. With the AvD bonus and the improved DF, it's something like 3.5 extra crit damage at a 200 endroll. 5ish on 300.

Nice sure but again, lance so the best possible scenario really. You get equivalent to basically razern waiting (light) with non-lances on a 200 endroll. Like, it's nice and all but...really, the reason to use a perfect for a project weapon is "because it's there, and you have fuck all else to do, so you might as well"

disclaimer: i am a master forger of all weapon types and make perfects for basically all my characters