PDA

View Full Version : Greater Elanthian Merchant Society

MdnightDream
11-22-2004, 04:22 PM
Our old PRO is back with new management. Check out the website if you're interested!

http://www.freewebs.com/gems4short/

MrFeature
11-22-2004, 05:42 PM
I've seen better websites made by 6th graders.

Wezas
11-22-2004, 05:44 PM
Anything Sergey's a "Special Advisor" to is shady.

MdnightDream
11-22-2004, 08:45 PM
Oh man, did I make the mistake of thinking people could actually be respectful on these boards? My bad.

If you don't have anything nice to say people... sheesh...

[Edited on 11-23-2004 by MdnightDream]

Soulpieced
11-22-2004, 08:52 PM
Don't expect it. Also one thing that hurts the PRO's cause is that there will always be single merchants who know more than the entire population in the PRO can/will ever know about the items in game. People like Ardwen, Wadsworth, myself, whomever, probably have a larger knowledge and better "reputation" than anyone in some new player-run guild.

You can't just say you're in some guild that upholds merchanting morals and values and expect people to believe your members have even a FRACTION of a percent of the respect and quality of items that the real merchants in Gemstone who have spent years upon years making their money doing what they are good at.

Man that was a long sentence.

Wezas
11-22-2004, 09:00 PM
How does one comment about the design of the website (I agree, it's not very impressive) and one shot at Sergey warrant a "Shut the hell up".

I think with that phrase you lost more business then you could have ever gained posting here. Also, what Soulpie said.

MdnightDream
11-22-2004, 09:00 PM
You're right Soulpieced, and having been a merchant for over 5 years, I don't claim to know everything. But as a merchant who does uphold honesty and fairness, I think that imparting that information on others is the key.

That's what GEMS hopes to do. Believe me, I was as skeptical as you sound when I joined this PRO such a long time ago. Because I felt like "How can these people possibly ALL be excellent merchants?"

GEMS' aim has changed to education, rather than saying we flaunt "all the best merchants" because we know that everyone's opinion of what makes a "good merchant" varies.

Ardwen and Wadsworth are only "respected" because they are rich. And they are rich because they are "good merchants." But they are not merchants I have EVER dealt with, they are not approachable to the vast majority of the people.

With GEMS we are trying to impart some merchanting knowledge on the ignorant of Elanthia. Just because you're name isn't uber-well known, and just because you're not filthy rich does not mean you can't have good merchanting practices.

And yes, it will take a lonnnng time to get recognition from the "big whigs" in merchant's ville. But that's okay, because the majority of Elanthians are not the big whigs.

MdnightDream
11-22-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
How does one comment about the design of the website (I agree, it's not very impressive) and one shot at Sergey warrant a "Shut the hell up".

My apologies on that. I'm not feeling well -stomach bug- and I worked for 6 hours over the past two days on that website. Its the best I could do with the free template, no knowledge of html, etc. My main goal was to actually WRITE the bylaws, rules and regs, etc. What it looked like was secondary.

Oh, and I agree on the Sergey thing ;)

Wezas
11-22-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by MdnightDream
Ardwen and Wadsworth are only "respected" because they are rich. they are not approachable to the vast majority of the people.

Stalk Warclaidhm. 80% chance he's going to where Ardwen is.

The other 20% being divided between ripping people off and being pwned.

MdnightDream
11-22-2004, 09:06 PM
LOL

Soulpieced
11-22-2004, 09:09 PM
And yes, it will take a lonnnng time to get recognition from the "big whigs" in merchant's ville. But that's okay, because the majority of Elanthians are not the big whigs.

True, but 99.9% of all the best items in the game go through said big whigs. Which also probably accounts for 98% of the wealth. There is no changing of the mass amounts of ignorance and shitty merchants in Gemstone. The only way to ever know you're getting "the real deal" is to go to one of the huge merchants if you need something good. Otherwise you're just gonna have to deal with no-name riff-raff.

Simply put, it's just not possible for new merchants to come along now (unless through real money, in which case they usually just buy gear and don't merchant per se), because the years of accumulation by the so-called "big whigs" is impossible to catch.

I'm just blabbering anyway, I have nothing against the PRO personally, but I just feel that most (all) PRO's don't accomplish anything in the grand scheme of things. Elanthia is more a society of individuals who gained and earned over many years with a certain cutoff point due to nobody ever really leaving, thus leaving no room for "new" merchants/big whigs.

Seran
11-22-2004, 09:12 PM
Christ all mighty, those are some of the most abrasive posts I've seen in a long while, all in response to someone advertising an organization.

For all it's worth, it is a very clean looking website and not cluttered with offensive banners or advertisements. Aesthetically it's a good place to start, and more power to your cause.

As for you nay-sayers dragging an organization down because they aren't "good enough" or "at your standards" f*** off. Who the hell are you to set any sort of standard because you have X amount of silvers, or dozens of god-auction quality items. You don't define amunet lingo, you don't administer sellers or train buyers. You don't even have any say so in the construction of playershops. So, back your narrow, stuck up selves and let them go forward what hopefully will be an enlightening cause for turnip farmers.

Just because you or Ardwen didn't get nominated as a mentor to their PRO doesn't mean it'll suck Soulpieced. I can't even begin to say how bothered I am by the arrogance you displayed in that post. When breakage comes out, I hope you're the first person to suffer.

Nakiro
11-22-2004, 09:15 PM
PROs and Great Houses are pretty incredulous.

Numbers
11-22-2004, 09:15 PM
Toot toot.

Coincidentally, I'm selling a really big horn.

Latrinsorm
11-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Seran
those are some of the most abrasive posts I've seen in a long whileYou must not come here very often.

11-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Unless this house can have a stronger buying power than the top merchants now (unlikely) they just arn't going to get the same respect and trust. If I had the money for high end items, I'd go look for Ardwen or Wadsworth, not some PRO I never heard of.

- Arkans

Nakiro
11-22-2004, 09:22 PM
Also, this society is strangly familiar to the Elanthian Merhcant Society.

I think their charter is a bit more comprehensive and less child-like than yours.

Though yours is good too!

Link for all intersted: http://www.sildraug.com/alliance/id1.html

MdnightDream
11-22-2004, 09:25 PM
Hmm, I think I may need to clarify a little.

GEMS isn't trying to become an organization filled with uber-merchants with gazillions of silvers. We're not even necessarily going to be comprised of members who have more than a million silvers.

We're trying to teach youngin's the ropes. And you can warn them about scams, teach them what MB and CB means, and how not to make OOC comments on the amunet without any mega-weapon-of-scary-doom or whatever. Heh.

Also, my own opinion. Those top sellers are also the only top buyers. Ardwen, Wadsworth, perhaps Tsin, etc. Those type of people have such a tiny market. For all the amazing gear that they all own, the only people who can afford to buy it are also in that same group of people. That's what I meant by them being unapproachable.

Anyway, GEMS isn't here for you to purchase God Auction items from. GEMS is here to have a good time and inspire a little more instruction and aid to the little ones. Cause we're nice like that :)

Seran
11-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Hey Arkans, they weren't running in to yank the "greatest merchants alive" button from anyone. If you even bothered to read their charter, the overall purpose seems to be aimed at helping first time sellers with the knowhow to be somewhat decent sellers. They're not claiming they have all the information, or that they are masters of the art. Just people who want to help others learn.

MdnightDream
11-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Hey Arkans, they weren't running in to yank the "greatest merchants alive" button from anyone. If you even bothered to read their charter, the overall purpose seems to be aimed at helping first time sellers with the knowhow to be somewhat decent sellers. They're not claiming they have all the information, or that they are masters of the art. Just people who want to help others learn.

Yes, there ya go.

Seran
11-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Seriously you guys, this is like slapping a child and calling him stupid for wanting to sell lemonaide. The kid doesn't know that they won't outsale AM/PM. It's the idea, and the purpose.

Nakiro
11-22-2004, 09:29 PM
There are lots of people who buy from Ardwen, Tsin, Wadsworth, and others. They don't buy things on a daily basis, but when they do they are major purcheses.

Educating other people is still a good thing though, so good luck in your goals.

StrayRogue
11-22-2004, 09:30 PM
Meh, SP, if I could be bothered to watch my script 18 hours a day, I'd be a "big-whig" inside of a year. I need more self-discipline.

Nakiro
11-22-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Meh, SP, if I could be bothered to watch my script 18 hours a day, I'd be a "big-whig" inside of a year. I need more self-discipline.

What are you skinning now? Myklians, aivrens, leopards?

MdnightDream
Originally posted by Nakiro
Also, this society is strangly familiar to the Elanthian Merhcant Society.

I think their charter is a bit more comprehensive and less child-like than yours.

Though yours is good too!

Yes, you're talking about The Elanthian Merchant Alliance which was founded shortly after GEMS. In actuality Lavastene and Angtamin spent several years creating that charter and personally, I find it droll and unengaging. His rules and regulations set a standard for his members that I doubt even the "big whigs" could all adhere to. It is amazingly detailed and he obviously had a lot of experience doing that, I however, did not. The previous Chairman of GEMS didn't even create a charter. So I was going from scratch.

Pretty good for my first attempt, I'd say! Besides, I kept it simple so that new players who have no idea what's going on wouldn't get completely lost.

CrystalTears
I think Lady Voldemort being a [inactive] member is going to be a blow to the org's ego, but hey, what do I know. ;)

Good luck with the PRO. It's never easy to start something from the ground up, so to speak, so I hope it goes well.

Soulpieced
11-22-2004, 09:32 PM
When breakage comes out, I hope you're the first person to suffer.

I'm shivering in my boots.

You glance down to see a sonic short sword in your right hand and a sonic tower shield in your left hand.

Nakiro
Lavastene is a bit over the edge.

StrayRogue

Myklins were the biggest bastards ever. You never told me that sometimes when I hit them they make me drop my weapon...

MdnightDream
11-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Educating other people is still a good thing though, so good luck in your goals.

Thanks! I hope its well received when we start doing actual events.

Nakiro
11-22-2004, 09:34 PM

Myklins were the biggest bastards ever. You never told me that sometimes when I hit them they make me drop my weapon...

I don't swing at them. 1110 works much, much better.

StrayRogue
11-22-2004, 09:36 PM
I've got no Spell Aim, unfortunately. If I ever can be bothered to bring Seluus back from Teras, and Jamus gets Psinet fixed, I'll create a new script for him and the skinner. Currently though I'm raping in the loot from a few other sources, most likely of which you know about already.

Nakiro
11-22-2004, 09:38 PM
Yah too bad I'm taking a break until the first of the year.

Oh well, I guess I'll let you loot'm out for awhile ';o)

crazymage
11-22-2004, 09:38 PM
I advise you to ignore soupie he couldnt sell a cheeseburger to warclaidhm

Soulpieced
11-22-2004, 09:45 PM
I have only one link to post in response to Sergey....

http://www.gsauctions.com/itemdetails.asp?auctionid=4903AA934B5041EABA84D689 47876F7B

Probably did it himself.

11-22-2004, 09:55 PM

!BASELESS FLAME WARNING!

Fuck you, I read it.

!BASELESS FLAME WARNING END!

Think of what I said as an observation of the Elanthian Market.

- Arkans

crazymage
11-22-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Soulpieced
I have only one link to post in response to Sergey....

http://www.gsauctions.com/itemdetails.asp?auctionid=4903AA934B5041EABA84D689 47876F7B

Probably did it himself.

99% of items i sell arent mine!