PDA

View Full Version : Bad bad day.

Caiylania
11-20-2004, 05:15 AM
My cat Nimh is in the hospital, they don't know if he is going to live, and they don't what is wrong.

He has lost three pounds, and can't move. So they are going to do x-rays today and he is on a constant IV drip while they try to figure out how to save him.

Nimh has been in our family for 7 years. He is a wonderful cat that even our friends who don't like cats like.

PC attracts vents like no other eh?

Will update later on. Here are some pics of him......

HarmNone
11-20-2004, 05:25 AM
Sweetie, I'm so sorry. He's a beautiful kitty. I do so hope the vet can find out what's wrong and heal him. Please, keep up posted. I've lit a candle for dear Nimh. :(

Praefection
11-20-2004, 05:29 AM
How horrible. My cats are like a part of my family and I'd do anything I could to save them. My last three I had for fourteen years until my mother got rid of them so I know what it's like to have a pet in your life for so long. I hope he gets better though.

Brattt8525
11-20-2004, 07:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your cat hon. Keep us posted on his progress, have they ruled out a urinary blockage? Male cats are prone to this and it can lead to the symptoms you described.

Nieninque
11-20-2004, 08:18 AM
He's probably suffering about the state of that desk!!!

Hope he gets better Caiy,
cute little ball of fluff (the cat not you)

Caiylania
11-20-2004, 09:19 AM
Thankyou all. The vet is still working on him so no news yet. She said if she hadn't called by 6 to call her. So 3 hours to go. :/

Eiderfleur
11-20-2004, 09:50 AM
I hope your cat feels better hon, I know a few weeks ago my cat got really ill, he's about 15 years old now but he's an indoor kitty. He started losing A LOT of weight and was always hungry and the more he would eat the more weight he would lose :( we took him to the vet and they scanned him and took blood and said it was thyroid related. After giving some medicine he went further downhill and mom phoned me up a couple days before my birthday telling me to go home to London because he probably wasn't going to make it to the end of the week.

Well good news is the vet thought it was the medication he was on and he is greatly improved now, but I really know how you feel about your kitty, never having had kids my cats have been my babies and I :heart: them so very much.

Anyway, my point was hopefully it is thyroid related or even diabetes and if so then it means it will be easily treatable.

Caiylania
11-20-2004, 01:57 PM
The vet called. XRay's showed a large mass in his abdominal area so they are leaning towards cancer. Now they just need to find out if its a first tumor or if it has metastasized(sp?). She did say he seems to be doing better and can now sit normally but he is still very very stiff. Nothing can be done until they find out for sure what it is, to hard to do exploratory surgery on a cat that sick.

HarmNone
11-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Ish. That sounds awful! Poor little guy. We'll just have to keep our hopes up that there's something that can be done for him. I'm so sorry, hon. :(

KymberlynX
11-21-2004, 04:53 PM
Awww Caiy...sorry to hear about Nimh being sick. I hope he gets better soon.

Rantor
11-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear about Nimh. I hope he does better soon. Make sure to give him lots of pets and snuggles to comfort him. :goodluck:

Wezas
11-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Off topic but on topic about the picture posted.

I will pwn you at Scrabble.

RiverRat
11-21-2004, 11:25 PM
Best wishes for your kit there. Our family cat actually had a cancerous growth removed from her stomach (after the vet technician mis-diagnosed it, but my sis who's a year away from graduating vet school corrected her...long story), and has since been doing quite well. So besides being cranky about a sore stomach, they come out of it pretty fine. Here's hoping Nimh feels better soon.

Caiylania
11-23-2004, 02:56 AM
Thankyou all :)

He gets to come home today. They are still working on him but since he is walking now they feel (and I agree) emotionally he will do better here and thus improve his chances.

Caiylania
11-23-2004, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Wezas
Off topic but on topic about the picture posted.

I will pwn you at Scrabble.

Heh. I'm a fair player. But most likely. I haven't lost to any of my friends in over ten games though. So I'm quite happy right now.

Brattt8525
11-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Caiylania
Thankyou all :)

He gets to come home today. They are still working on him but since he is walking now they feel (and I agree) emotionally he will do better here and thus improve his chances.

Woo hoo break out the cake nip cake for him! Glad to hear it hon, he will be glad to be in familar surroundings and you will feel better for having him at home.

Caiylania
11-23-2004, 10:33 AM
::::hugs:::: Thanks, Tara.

Good news! NO cancer. The mass is most likely just a fatty lump. The way he has recovered and the blood tests lean towards poisoning. So the only plant he could have got to is now out of reach. He is still wobbly but 90% than he was.

Yay!

Eiderfleur
11-23-2004, 10:38 AM
That's excellent news Caiy :) Glad the little guy is feeling better, they're always up to mischief and do things that may make them poorly but really glad he's recovering :)

Caiylania
11-23-2004, 10:40 AM
Poor guy is shaved all over though. From being pricked, pulled, tested, tubed, etc and so forth. My fluff ball isn't so fluffy now!

*He isn't shaved completely, just in random spots all over. :D

[Edited on 11-23-2004 by Caiylania]

11-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Glad to hear it. It sucks seeing a close family pet go through shit. It's even better to see them recover. Awesome!

- Arkans

Caiylania
11-23-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Arkans
Glad to hear it. It sucks seeing a close family pet go through shit. It's even better to see them recover. Awesome!

- Arkans

Thankyou! Exactly how I feel. He's resting now. So glad to have him home!! Even the dogs seem to know to be quiet around him. Good puppies they are!

Eiderfleur
11-23-2004, 10:45 AM
Poor guy is shaved all over though. From being pricked, pulled, tested, tubed, etc and so forth. My fluff ball isn't so fluffy now!

I know that feeling :( My baby is still a semi fluffy fluff-ball, takes so long for his hair to grow back. I'm sure you don't mind that he is a little hairless in places compared to the fact that he isn't ill and is actually on the road to recovery.

And as Arkans said seeing him recover is awesome compared to a little lack of hair here and there.

peam
11-23-2004, 10:53 AM

*He isn't shaved completely, just in random spots all over. :D

[Edited on 11-23-2004 by Caiylania]

You must finish the job...

http://xo.typepad.com/blog/lion-cut-2.jpg

11-23-2004, 10:56 AM
I remember when my dog Rex had to get a heart monitor on him. Despite looking like a suicide bomber, they had to shave some areas on him. It got so itchy that he kept headbutting me until I scratched him.

- Arkans

Caiylania
11-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by peam
You must finish the job...
http://xo.typepad.com/blog/lion-cut-2.jpg

Eh.... no thanks!