PDA

View Full Version : Sharper Image Ionic Breeze

Soulpieced
11-19-2004, 09:42 PM
Does anybody have, or know anybody that has one of these? I'd like to know whether or not they really work, and it's not that easy to find an "unbiased" review on the web. Though I have seen a number of concerning issues somewhere that did appear to be pretty bad.

xtc
11-19-2004, 09:45 PM
I heard consumer reports tested it and it was one of the worse air cleaners they tested.

Scott
11-19-2004, 09:49 PM
I haven't heard much good talk about the Sharper Image one, but I heard the Oreck air purifier worked well.

Back
11-19-2004, 09:55 PM
Screw Sharper’s prices. And those late night infomercials. I got a medium sized one from Radio Shack for under $100.

After having to clean that thing, I can say, they work.

Wezas
11-19-2004, 09:57 PM
Having just signed up for consumerreports.com, here's some snippets of what they had to say:

Sharper Image ads claim that the Ionic Breeze has been “proven effective” and that “tests at leading university research centers show that the Ionic Breeze is effective at trapping airborne allergens, contaminants and irritants.” Ads also cite its quiet operation, implying that other cleaners are less effective because people can’t abide the noise and will shut them off.

Last year, we said that the Ionic Breeze “proved unimpressive” and that our tests “found almost no measurable reduction in airborne particles.”

The company complained, maintaining that our tests, based on the industry standard for measuring clean-air delivery rate (CADR), were inadequate. Sharper Image said that the Ionic Breeze technology is “vastly different” from that of other air cleaners and would fare better in a longer test.

We re-examined our test procedures and had them reviewed by an independent expert, Morton Lippmann, professor of environmental medicine at New York University. He confirmed the validity of our methodology. We continue to stand behind our report.

Air-cleaning speed

The bars show the speed of reducing respirable smoke pollutants in our test chamber from 2,500 to 1,500 particles per cubic centimeter. The longer the bar, the better. The Friedrich and the Whirlpool (on low) were more than 25 times faster than the others (on high).

http://www.consumerreports.org/content/Categories/Appliances/Reports/Images/0310air502.gif

Soulpieced
11-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Haha, thanks Wezas.

Tsa`ah
11-19-2004, 10:56 PM
I see the commercials constantly and they key selling point of the unit is sound. I considered buying a few and then read the consumer report on it and went with the Whirlpool unit. Air purifiers aren't as noisy as Sharper Image makes them out to be. Our aquarium is louder than our air purifier and filter expense isn't that big of a deal.

We make due with washable/re-usable filters.

Back
11-19-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Wezas
Having just signed up for consumerreports.com, here's some snippets of what they had to say:

What do they say about the 2005 Suzuki Aerio?

Wezas
11-19-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by Backlash

Originally posted by Wezas

What do they say about the 2005 Suzuki Aerio?

Latest review is for the 2004 model. Check your U2U's.

Check Edmunds.com for car reviews - they're usually pretty decent.