PDA

View Full Version : First experience seeing it snow.

Shari
11-22-2004, 02:29 AM
IT WAS SO PRETTY!

So, boyfriend is up north, elkhunting. Well, he got one, about 900lbs (before gutting) Being the good girlfriend I am, I drive up 3 hours to see him, praying the whole time it would snow.

And snow it did.

Snowflakes look NOTHING like what I pictured them to be.

That being said, for the first time in my 23 years I have seen it snow. It was gorgeous. I've seen it on the ground, after a majority of it has melted, so nothing is ever coated in a layer of white, just piles of it on the ground.

So beautiful. I'm moving up there as soon as I get my degree.

Souzy
11-22-2004, 02:33 AM
I'm sure you won't think that if you're from NE.

Numbers
11-22-2004, 02:38 AM
Snow ain't so pretty when it never stops.

Then you get a nice layer of ice underneath, which makes for some fun walking. Oh, and let's not forget all the interesting colors it changes to. Grey slush on the roads, yellow and brown wherever people curb their dogs, and the nice neon blue from the chemical salt some people use.

And then there's the biting -15 wind chill.

Lomoriond
11-22-2004, 02:41 AM
Having lived in Alaska, I'd have to say I will die happy if i NEVER SEE A SNOWFLAKE AGAIN.

Ahem...

L

Shari
11-22-2004, 02:44 AM
Okay, first. We don't dump salt in AZ, we dump cinders. Doesn't fuck up the tires near as bad as salt.

It will NEVER get -15 here either.

The ice, well...I almost ate shit a few times while I was up there, but I'm sure you develop a knack for regaining your balance after much experience.

Yellow snow? As long as no ones trying to feed it to me I'll live.

Praefection
11-22-2004, 02:44 AM
Move to Montana and stay here for a winter. By the time it's over you'd be so fucking happy to move where it's warm. But snow is pretty, before it gets all icky. I have a friend who used to live about 5 miles out of town on 30 acres of land. It was breath taking to be sure.

I remember my first time seeing snow. I was 6, almost 7 and moving from California to Montana. I was SO excited even though it was only piles. Ah memories.

Edited to say it was -2 this morning. Fucking snow.

[Edited on 07-18-2003 by Praefection]

Hulkein
11-22-2004, 03:12 AM
People say you hate snow if you have to live with it often, but that's not true for me.

While I don't live in Buffalo or Alaska, we do get several storms of over 6 inches a winter and I like it every time.

I'm usually hoping for a few feet, heh.

Drew
11-22-2004, 03:33 AM
I don't know, it's 75 degrees in south Florida right now, you'd have to really pay me a lot of money to move.

Sean
11-22-2004, 03:41 AM
It's sad that you saw snow in Arizona before I did here in Jersey.

That being said .. you can keep it all.

Tsa`ah
11-22-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Tijay
It's sad that you saw snow in Arizona before I did here in Jersey.

Mountains, elevation.

I love the snow. We lived in Alaska for some time while my father was stationed there in the military.

Living in East Central IL, we get our fair share and to me it's never enough.

kheldarin
11-22-2004, 06:07 AM
Living in fuckin Hawaii all my life.. I've never seen snow. Shit, the coldest it gets over here at night is around 76 degrees, give or take some.

Chadj
11-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Move to Canada.

Bring your sister.

Tsunami
11-22-2004, 07:24 AM
I'm glad you liked it Jesae. I adore snow, give me ten feet of it. Now that said, no, I don't like driving in it, or ice storms...I love SNOW!
Nothing like sitting by the fire with a glass of wine watching the snow fall.
Or a winter hike with giant fluffy flakes falling all around you in the forest.
Good luck when you move!

Suppa Hobbit Mage
11-22-2004, 07:43 AM
I lived up in Flagstaff for about 5 years Jesae, I loved it up there. I'm with you, give me snow (more specifically - seasons) every year. That's why I hated Tucson, it really has two seasons only.

11-22-2004, 08:38 AM
oh I love snow too, but... when it takes you 2 hours to dig your car out so you can go to work, then there is the little old lady who parks next to you and you spend another two hours digging her car out... the snow loses its mystique.

CrystalTears
11-22-2004, 08:39 AM
I adore snow. I would love it a whole lot more if I didn't live on a goddamned hill.

The Cat In The Hat
11-22-2004, 08:44 AM
I grew up in Ohio, there's only 2 seasons there. It's either so hot you don't want to move, or there's so much snow you CAN'T move.

Only thing I can actually say I love about Virginia is we do have 4 seasons. I love the snow when it doesn't effect my commings and goings. The problem with people around here though, is that they see snow for 2 months a year, they get scared of it, drive like an asshole, crash into you and piss you off.

Brattt8525
11-22-2004, 08:45 AM
I love watching snow on tv, I grew up in Ontario, then spent 13 years living in/around the Buffalo NY area. Give me Texas weather anyday.

AnticorRifling
11-22-2004, 09:00 AM
I like the seasons, skiing, taking the snow mobile out, and stuff like that.

Kainen
11-22-2004, 09:02 AM
Congrats on seeing snow for the first time. I like in South Lake Tahoe and winter here is beautiful.. basically I like in the Tahoe Basin Forest (yes there's forest rangers) It can be a pain in the ass when we get snowed in and the power gets knocked out for a few days.. but it is pretty.

Stunseed
11-22-2004, 09:11 AM
I've lived in Vermont, and I've lived in Florida.....I enjoyed both, but fuck that 12 feet of snow, and -30+ wind chill.

xtc
11-22-2004, 09:45 AM
Yes I imagine seeing snow for the first time must be a wondrous experience. I still love it when it snows for the first time every year and I love a white Christmas. That said and the with cold temperatures up here by February I am sick of winter.

Wezas
11-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Congrats on seeing the snow for the first time - I'm sure it was a site.

<insert smooth comment about Jesae/Snow Angel/Real Angel>

Tsunami
11-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by CrystalTears
I adore snow. I would love it a whole lot more if I didn't live on a goddamned hill.

Go sledding!! :stan:

Skeeter
11-22-2004, 10:08 AM
Snow Blows

DeV
11-22-2004, 10:13 AM
The only time I truly enjoy snow is when it doesn't take me an hour to dig out my car, and 3 hours just to get home from work and school because people don't know how to drive in it. Other than that, snowball fights, snowmen, snow angels and sleding are my favorite things to do in the snow. When its not cold enough where you don't want to be outdoors for too long and not so warm that it's in the beginning stages of melting, is the best time to enjoy it.

CrystalTears
11-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Tsunami

Originally posted by CrystalTears

Go sledding!! :stan:

If there wasn't a chance that I'd slam into some fuckhead making a u-turn on said hill an driving like a retard at 5 miles an hour, I most certainly would. :D

Delirium
11-22-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Jesae
IT WAS SO PRETTY!

So, boyfriend is up north, elkhunting. Well, he got one, about 900lbs (before gutting) Being the good girlfriend I am, I drive up 3 hours to see him, praying the whole time it would snow.

And snow it did.

Snowflakes look NOTHING like what I pictured them to be.

That being said, for the first time in my 23 years I have seen it snow. It was gorgeous. I've seen it on the ground, after a majority of it has melted, so nothing is ever coated in a layer of white, just piles of it on the ground.

So beautiful. I'm moving up there as soon as I get my degree.

Great post! Made me smile and remember my first snow or what i remember as my first snow anyway. Being a young kid and getting to build snow forts is incredible. Snow ball wars and hitting snowballs with bats pretending them to be baseballs. So many good times i feel lucky again to live where it snows. Thanks for refeshing those good memories.

SpunGirl
11-22-2004, 10:43 AM
:cry: I'm glad you posted that, Jesae. It made me *really* miss Flagstaff. Welcome to the setting for at least half of my childhood, high school, and college memories.

My mom called me yesterday morning to tell me that it was "snowing like a booger" at their house in continental. We're driving up there Christmas morning after I get off work, I really cannot wait.

-K

[Edited on 11-22-2004 by SpunGirl]

peam
11-22-2004, 10:46 AM
The key to snow is moderation. Virginia, and most of the other Mid-Atlantic states, provide just that.

Wezas
11-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Just make sure you have a shovel. Last winter mine seemed to have dissappeared somewhere.

Flurbins
11-22-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by The Cat In The Hat
I grew up in Ohio, there's only 2 seasons there. It's either so hot you don't want to move, or there's so much snow you CAN'T move.

My favorite part of Ohio is when it does both of those in the same day.

Shari
11-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Chadj: :die:

Everyone else: Yeah, I didn't have to do that much digging cause there was only around 5 inches on the ground. My brother (whose house I was staying at) uses an aluminum and plastic rowing oar to pull all the snow off, it worked awesomely. I just need to remember to get one of my own when we move up there.

And yeah, I'm sure you get sick of the cold just like I get sick of 115 degree weather. I just want four SEASONS. I'd like to live where other things grow besides cactus.

Izalude
11-22-2004, 02:17 PM
One thing I won't miss about newfoundland is the snow.

It snowed from November to May.

It was windy too, so one foot would equal to about 4 feet from all the piled up blowing snow. It was so deep at times that the snowblower would stall trying to move it all.

Great place to visit... bad place to live.

Czeska
11-22-2004, 02:29 PM

Only thing I can actually say I love about Virginia is we do have 4 seasons. I love the snow when it doesn't effect my commings and goings. The problem with people around here though, is that they see snow for 2 months a year, they get scared of it, drive like an asshole, crash into you and piss you off.

Wow, I don't know what part of OH you lived in, but being from the Cleveland area, I was just about to post that I'd never leave, cause I want all four of my seasons.

We had the most gorgeous fall EVER this year. It's been wonderful.

Wezas
11-22-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Izalude
One thing I won't miss about newfoundland is the snow.

That must be why my newfoundland loves the snow.

http://members.cox.net/legendwezas/pennysnow2.jpg

Shari
11-22-2004, 03:29 PM
Wow. Is that a dog underneath all that snow?

Wezas
11-22-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Jesae
Wow. Is that a dog underneath all that snow?

She lays on our deck for hours on top of the snow and lets the snow fall down on her. I swear she'd sleep out there if we let her. She's got so much fur that it just feels good to her. And of course there's a cold snack everywhere she puts her mouth.

The Cat In The Hat
11-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Czeska

Wow, I don't know what part of OH you lived in, but being from the Cleveland area, I was just about to post that I'd never leave, cause I want all four of my seasons.

We had the most gorgeous fall EVER this year. It's been wonderful.

Toledo, on lake Erie, I grew up a 5 minute walk from it and lived there until I was about 21.

Sweets
11-22-2004, 05:08 PM
I can't imagine a winter without snow. I am so glad you got to experience it. I don't mind the shoveling but I do hate the asses that can't drive in it. Winter is my second favorite time of year.

I can't wait to take Justin sledding for the first time!

*Peers out her window eagerly awaiting the first real snow fall.*

Czeska
11-23-2004, 09:28 AM
They're forcasting snow on Thanksgiving here.. When I was in Germany earlier this month, we got like 18" in one day, so I don't need that.. but since I'm staying home just me and my new hubby, I'm thinking it could be beautiful for our day.

TheRoseLady
11-23-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Flurbins

My favorite part of Ohio is when it does both of those in the same day.

LOL, I guess I should add Ohio to my location. I just heard the weather for tomorrow - it's supposed to 60 in the southern part of the state with strong thunderstorms and is suppsed to be 32 with snow in the northern part of the state - so it's anyone's guess how things will be in Columbus.

Jesae - I love it when snow is falling and it clings to all of the trees and covers the ground. I'm glad that you found that magical. I still remember the first time I saw a palm tree and was in Florida over Christmas.

TheRoseLady
11-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Toledo, on lake Erie, I grew up a 5 minute walk from it and lived there until I was about 21.

Cat,

We are going to my brother's for Thanksgiving. He lives in Curtice which is minutes from Maumee Bay State Park. I can't wait, we do the serious Friday shopping trip.

The Cat In The Hat
11-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by TheRoseLady

Cat,

We are going to my brother's for Thanksgiving. He lives in Curtice which is minutes from Maumee Bay State Park. I can't wait, we do the serious Friday shopping trip.

Reno Beach is techincally IN Curtice (Mail to Reno's addressed Curtice, Ohio 43412) I probably know your brother or someone in your family. I went to Clay!

TheRoseLady
11-23-2004, 06:20 PM

Cat,

Reno Beach is techincally IN Curtice (Mail to Reno's addressed Curtice, Ohio 43412) I probably know your brother or someone in your family. I went to Clay!

Nice! My brother has lived in Oregon, Ottawa Hills and now Curtice - he works for Davis Bessey. My sister-in-law is from Genoa (I think that's how it's spelled) and is a teacher at East Toledo Jr High. We grew up in southeastern Ohio.

The Cat In The Hat
11-23-2004, 07:54 PM
Nice! My brother has lived in Oregon, Ottawa Hills and now Curtice - he works for Davis Bessey. My sister-in-law is from Genoa (I think that's how it's spelled) and is a teacher at East Toledo Jr High. We grew up in southeastern Ohio.

Ahh, well if he didn't grow up there I likely wouldn't know him. I moved about 10 years ago. Most of Oregon went to Clay though, the other part went to Waite.

Czeska
11-24-2004, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by TheRoseLadyLOL, I guess I should add Ohio to my location. I just heard the weather for tomorrow - it's supposed to 60 in the southern part of the state with strong thunderstorms and is suppsed to be 32 with snow in the northern part of the state - so it's anyone's guess how things will be in Columbus.

I lived in Columbus for about 3 years, and you're 100% right. Btw, it's raining in Cleveland now, mid 40s, and it's supposed to change to snow by tonight.

DeV
11-24-2004, 10:47 AM
We're supposed to get 2-4 inches today. I'm hoping the weather man is wrong.

ThisOtherKingdom
11-24-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by DarkelfVold
We're supposed to get 2-4 inches today. I'm hoping the weather man is wrong.

They weren't, it's comin' down pretty hard already.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
11-24-2004, 12:55 PM
We got about 6 inches of snow here this morning. Pretty cool.

AnticorRifling
11-24-2004, 12:57 PM
It's just pissing rain here. Hopefully it snows tomorrow that would make for the perfect day, food, snow and COLTS playing on the TV :cool:

Betheny
11-24-2004, 12:59 PM

I didn't want to know that.

Really, if the driving gets any worse...

Wezas
11-24-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Maimara

You think this rain is bad..... (passed by 4 accidents on the way back from going to lunch, and it's barely drizzling)

Meos
11-24-2004, 01:36 PM
The rain just shitfed to snow here... let the winter of '04/'05 begin.

DeV
11-24-2004, 01:41 PM
It's just sad to watch. It went from rain to the beginnings of snow and now this sleet-like substance. :(

Trinitis
11-24-2004, 01:43 PM
DEV is gonna show me real snow if/when I ever get to go see the Windy City :heart:

DeV
11-24-2004, 01:47 PM
We can have a huge snowball fight and then I'll force you to lie in the snow and make a human snow angel outta you. You'll love it, no doubt! ;)

Betheny
11-24-2004, 02:03 PM
I hate snow.

I moved 1600 miles to avoid snow. Yet I'm flying back there for Thanksgiving. The high is going to be 32, the low 17.

I'm going to miss Virginia.

Trinitis
11-24-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by DarkelfVold
We can have a huge snowball fight and then I'll force you to lie in the snow and make a human snow angel outta you. You'll love it, no doubt! ;)

Ok, but I warn ya..I have an uncanny aim with snowballs! :P

The Cat In The Hat
11-24-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Maimara

You still have a month or so left before the snow scares everyone... it was like 73 degrees here today.

If you've ever driven through the HRBT, and seen how just a tunnel scares these people down to 35 MPH on a fucking expressway.. it's like 10x worse in snow.