PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the damned wind

Enuch
03-22-2016, 05:01 PM
How many survival ranks are needed to avoid the weather in trace, as much as dying to wind rocks I'd like to avoid it in the future. Is it dependent on the area or flat amount of ranks/bonus?

Any insight is greatly appreciated

Gelston
03-22-2016, 05:03 PM
I used to have 101 and never noticed it much. 602 cuts off the wind completely though.

Roblar
03-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Depends how long you stay out there, the skill and spell only help lengthen the time before the hits begin and probably the severity of them, though long enough and even those start getting ugly.

I have 202 ranks and if I get lengthy loss of power/internet or a game crash for awhile out there may start seeing some effects (so like half an hour). Longer with the spell I'm sure. If you are just hunting to fry and return probably 50-101 ranks would be fine if you kill quickly. Hell, if you use cast you may run out of mana before having an issue, depending on the swarms (Pinefar is likely the area you mean and mostly seems to have decent critter numbers so should be fine).

Tgo01
03-22-2016, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure survival ranks completely protects you from the cold, I think it just delays the start of the cold hurting you. With 100 ranks of survival you would probably never notice it during the length of a typical hunt.

everan
03-22-2016, 05:23 PM
One thing to note, if you log out while out in the countryside, you will be more susceptible to the wind when you return. Log out when you in town or if you're on the trail, stop in a Roblar's and have a drink.

Roblar
03-22-2016, 05:59 PM
Come one, come all!

Actually, that is one of the reasons I set it there and leave it open. Also, feel free to fog corpses from inside, the ice is annoying too (reason 2!)

Enuch
03-22-2016, 06:19 PM
good to know, especially the hunting tidbit. I tend to hang out in the barn outside of town near the zombies, but will refrain from that and rest in town. Guess I need to start adding some survival ranks to myself if I plan on hanging around mule for a while.

Allereli
03-22-2016, 06:28 PM
good to know, especially the hunting tidbit. I tend to hang out in the barn outside of town near the zombies, but will refrain from that and rest in town. Guess I need to start adding some survival ranks to myself if I plan on hanging around mule for a while.

If you want to rest outside of town, find a safe room with a fire pit and build a fire.

JNewhall
03-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Thank you for leaving it open - it is gorgeous and a really fun spot to explore and hang out. I remember happening upon it for the first time. What a surprise!

Roblar
03-22-2016, 06:58 PM
Welcome, glad you like it.

And I always forget the fireplaces are not just cosmetic since I skipped Pinefar and never really had weather issues. So build a fire in the great hall to speed the warmup, and it is a node.

Middian
03-22-2016, 09:42 PM
Doesn't being a Half-Krolv help against the cold as well?

Soulance
03-22-2016, 10:45 PM
I remember having some protections at around 30 ranks when I was younger. Helped me stay out a bit longer and not get hurt as quickly - or if I did, the damage wasn't so bad.

Wish I had known about Roblar's!