PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Confluence: Plinites and Cores

droit
02-18-2016, 05:20 PM
Here's a list of the new plinites and cores from the Confluence. Plinites are dropped by Confluence elementals and can either be sold as gems (they will be sold if you sell the container they are in), or you can attempt to get a core from them one of two ways. You can OPEN PLINITE to destroy the plinite and automatically get a core, or you can attempt to EXTRACT PLINITE with sufficient lockpicking and disarming skill and a lockpick, which if successful results in both a core and the plinite casing that can still be sold as a gem.

If you find something not on the list, post it and I'll add it in.

Plinite Color|Value
a shard of blackened plinite|~100
a shard of grey plinite|~600
a shard of brown plinite|600-1.5k
a shard of green plinite|2k-4k
a shard of orange plinite|3k-9k
a shard of red plinite|4k-9k
a shard of purple plinite|5k-12k

Core Name|Value|Effect
a faintly glowing core|3k-47k|None
an elementally tranquil core|5k|Raise to teleport you and your group out of the Confluence to your attuned instability.
an elementally churning core|5k|Raise to teleport yourself to your attuned instability when outside the Confluence.
an elementally stable core|5k|Elemental Aura Stabilization (5 min) - Prevents being dispelled when your DS is too high.
an elementally balanced core|5k|Elemental Transfer Protection (5 min) - Prevents weapons from heating/cooling, and prevents lightning elemental reactive flares.
a smoldering red core|~5k|Defensive Elemental Aura (10 min) - Provides reactive/defensive magma flares.
a smoking black core|~5k|Defensive Elemental Aura (10 min) - Provides reactive/defensive fire flares.
a vibrating brown core|~5k|Defensive Elemental Aura (10 min) - Provides reactive/defensive earth flares.
a sparkling blue core|~5k|Defensive Elemental Aura (10 min) - Provides reactive/defensive lightning flares.
a steaming grey core|~5k|Defensive Elemental Aura (10 min) - Provides reactive/defensive steam flares.
a swirling clear core|~5k|Defensive Elemental Aura (10 min) - Provides reactive/defensive air flares.
a damp green core|~5k|Defensive Elemental Aura (10 min) - Provides reactive/defensive water flares.
an undulating [element] core|~5k|Adds offensive flares to your weapon.
an absorptive [element] core|~8k|Elemental [element] Protection (10 min) - ?
a green pulsating core||Elemental Enhancive Stabilization (30 min) - Prevents enhancives from losing charges.
a silvery luminescent core|10k|Provides Spell Knowledge of Elemental Defense I (401) (5 min)
a brightly luminescent core|10k|Provides Spell Knowledge of Elemental Defense II (406) (5 min)
a brilliantly luminescent core|10k|Provides Spell Knowledge of Elemental Defense III (414) (5 min)
a dark ethereal core|10k|Provides Spell Knowledge of Elemental Wave (410) (5 min)
a void black core|10k|Provides Spell Knowledge of Elemental Dispel (417) (5 min)

Element Color Table|
Clear|Air
Red|Fire
Brown|Earth
Blue|Lightning
Grey|Steam

Peppwyn
02-18-2016, 05:22 PM
What's the drop rate for these different thingies?

droit
02-18-2016, 05:46 PM
A handful per hunt. If I stay in for like a half hour or more, I get about 15-20.

Fallen
02-18-2016, 06:00 PM
That's not bad money at all, considering how shitty capped hunting grounds can get from time to time. Thanks for the info, Droit.

Franknozly
02-18-2016, 07:42 PM
Extracting cores has similar mechanics to picking a box.

[from lockpicking article]
If the lock is picked with a 150+ endroll, 10 seconds is deducted. If it's picked with a 200+ endroll, the roundtime is negated.

So if you're getting 0 rt, you've got a 200+ end roll.
If you're getting 1-9 rt, you've got 150+ end roll.
If you're getting full 11-20 rt, you're within the normal range of what you need to get full exp for extracting it.

Unfortunately there seems to be no way to detect the difficulty of the plinite. It is not correlated by value. I just went through 10 plinites, 2 of which gave me very little rt, 7 gave no rt, and 1 failed twice on a roll of 3 and 89, had to use lock lore to open that one and that was a common green (2400 value) one. No rhyme or reason why that one was WAY more difficult.

If anyone figured out how to measure difficulty, let us know.

Haldrik
02-18-2016, 08:23 PM
Do you think these items are affected by hunting pressure?

Jawa
02-19-2016, 07:51 AM
Went through a bunch with a guy in teras. Agreed. No rhyme or reason to the difficulty. I do think it's not only affected my lock lore but disarm lore too. But with the randomness of the difficulty it's hard to say if that's true or I just got a string of easier ones

Ceyrin
02-19-2016, 08:25 AM
Isn't it monster level that dictates "box" difficulty? Perhaps the scale is much more dramatic since the range is much smaller.

Jawa
02-19-2016, 10:20 AM
Isn't it monster level that dictates "box" difficulty? Perhaps the scale is much more dramatic since the range is much smaller.
Not sure I am following the logic. If the level dictates the box difficulty and the creatures in the confluence are all 95 or up... then there should be less of a range

droit
02-19-2016, 11:20 AM
Did your lockpick quality seem to have an inordinate effect on success? I had a few extracted by a picker and it seemed like nothing but vaalin worked.

Jawa
02-19-2016, 12:48 PM
I am planning on doing some more testing but pretty much it was vaalin or bust. I only had a copper, steel, rolaren and vaalin with me at the time

Jawa
02-19-2016, 12:49 PM
I'm on teras now with access to fwi. Let me know if you have some. Would love to continue testing this

Methais
02-19-2016, 01:21 PM
Are these things single use? I haven't gotten to mess around in the Confluence much lately.

droit
02-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Are these things single use? I haven't gotten to mess around in the Confluence much lately.

Yeah.

Zaigh
02-19-2016, 01:34 PM
Elemental Aura Stabilization (5 min) - Prevents being dispelled when your DS is too high.

When do the stable cores come into effect? I had hoped to minimize spell loss on entering the confluence but that didn't help any at all.

Methais
02-19-2016, 01:41 PM
When do the stable cores come into effect? I had hoped to minimize spell loss on entering the confluence but that didn't help any at all.

an elementally stable core ~5.5k Elemental Aura Stabilization (5 min) - Prevents being dispelled when your DS is too high.

nindon
02-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Core Name|Value|Effect
a faintly glowing core|3k-11k|None
an elementally tranquil core|~5.5k|Raise to teleport yourself out of the Confluence to your attuned instability.
an elementally churning core|~5.5k|Raise to teleport yourself to your attuned instability when outside the Confluence.
an elementally stable core|~5.5k|Elemental Aura Stabilization (5 min) - Prevents being dispelled when your DS is too high.
an elementally balanced core|~5.5k|Elemental Transfer Protection (5 min) - Prevents weapons from heating/cooling, and prevents lightning elemental reactive flares.

Your list of cores matches my list, except that I found one glowing core worth 19k. Has anybody tested if the glowing cores can be used for animate dead?

There must be other types of cores. The cores discovered so far do not account for all of the abilities listed by Coase in his original post. For example, no one has yet found a core that is enhancive or that gives reactive flares.

Zaigh
02-19-2016, 01:57 PM
an elementally stable core ~5.5k Elemental Aura Stabilization (5 min) - Prevents being dispelled when your DS is too high.

Ok, this prevents the dispel chance when the elementals swing and miss you. I was thinking it was just a general DS too high and not a specific point when DS is too high.

droit
02-19-2016, 02:17 PM
There's probably a better way to word that one.

Mumblz
02-19-2016, 02:22 PM
PLINITE PICKING POINTS

grey plinite using vaalin in bright foggy. 82 experience. 600 coins.

K>exp

Your mind is as clear as a bell.

K>extract my plin
You settle into the delicate task of attempting to extract the core of the grey plinite without damaging the valuable casing.
You make a talented attempt (d100=84).

You carefully work your wire into the cracks of the plinite and manage to hook onto the glowing core! You carefully pull the core from its casing and leave it to rest upon the very tip of the plinite, where it can be easily PLUCKed.
K>exp
Your mind is fresh and clear.

red plinite using vaalin in bright foggy. 27 experience. 9200 coins.

K>extract my plin
You settle into the delicate task of attempting to extract the core of the red plinite without damaging the valuable casing.
You make a talented attempt (d100=89).

Velfi
02-19-2016, 02:28 PM

Generally speaking your statement is usually pretty accurate, but this is not always the case. I personally have seen a box that came from level 20ish zombies that was as difficult to open as any Nelemar box, and in my experience undead boxes are typically more difficult to open than a similarly leveled living enemy's box.

nindon
02-20-2016, 11:32 AM
Has anybody tested if the glowing cores can be used for animate dead?

I've tested it now. The answer is that glowing cores cannot be used as a gem for animate dead. It would have been really useful to have the occasional 20k gem for animating.

Fallen
02-20-2016, 11:52 AM
I've tested it now. The answer is that glowing cores cannot be used as a gem for animate dead. It would have been really useful to have the occasional 20k gem for animating.

Thanks for checking. I posted on the officials asking them to allow it. Maybe we'll get lucky.

emo hero james
02-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Hrm, you think the glowing cores and the leftover plinite casings can be purified and used for chrisms? I went through a cache (both extracted cores and plinite casings) but didn't find any already orbed. I'm also kind'a curious if, by their very nature and crap, they could possibly be a imbeddable- but that's a longshot.

rolfard
02-20-2016, 08:08 PM
Bards cannot purify them

emo hero james
02-20-2016, 08:23 PM
Ballsacks. Thx for trying though, broseph.

Franknozly
02-22-2016, 05:03 AM
Here's my results from 46 plinites all extracted at once

magic (5):
an elementally tranquil core (5)
valuable,plinite (46):
a shard of orange plinite (5) a shard of grey plinite (6)
a shard of brown plinite (10) a shard of blackened plinite
a shard of red plinite (16) a shard of purple plinite (2)
a shard of green plinite (6)
valuable (41):
an elementally stable core (7) an elementally balanced core (5)
a faintly glowing core (27) an elementally churning core (2)

Basically you can just 403/404 and then mass extract/pluck them with no rt. Got me from belled to muddled. Of course if you do it without lore you probably get tons more exp but who cares about a little exp when you can get more $$$!!

Anyways the breakdown seems pretty clear, tons of glowing cores, about 60% and about 10% for the other ones.

Bad news is, I've noticed a lot fewer gems now adays. It seems they adjusted the drop rate of gems due to the introduction of these plinite and cores.
With 46 plinites/cores I kept only the tranquil ones and sold the rest and resulted in:
You deposit 471,839 silvers into your account.

NOT BAD!

Franknozly
02-22-2016, 05:04 AM
The real question is... can you bring the child out with you when you use the tranquil cores?

Ceyrin
02-22-2016, 05:53 AM
Generally speaking your statement is usually pretty accurate, but this is not always the case. I personally have seen a box that came from level 20ish zombies that was as difficult to open as any Nelemar box, and in my experience undead boxes are typically more difficult to open than a similarly leveled living enemy's box.

I have always assumed that boxes, their components, and contents are all generated by a system that has open roll potential with locational/flavorful modifiers.

What I was trying to get at before is that the range of levels in the confluence is a small range for levels, but this system gives wildly different numbers sometimes. This means there is no predictable logic, or the range (of some system) is expanded in some way to create the appearance of more variation without having to change to much with how treasure is generated.

droit
02-22-2016, 12:26 PM
Bad news is, I've noticed a lot fewer gems now adays. It seems they adjusted the drop rate of gems due to the introduction of these plinite and cores.

Nah. It's just overhunted to shit right now. The first few days after release, they were dropping gems like no tomorrow.

Methais
02-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Nah. It's just overhunted to shit right now. The first few days after release, they were dropping gems like no tomorrow.

Does each confluence have its own separate pressure system? Was never sure how that worked. I just know I used to pull in about 1m an hour before the wizard nerfs with citizenship + max trading and no purifying.

Are people really interested in this place now because of the plinites? All people used to bitch about before was that there were no boxes or "real" loot and while kind of nifty, the plinites are just glorified gems that can make some annoying parts of the area less annoying.

Ltlprprincess
02-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Basically you can just 403/404 and then mass extract/pluck them with no rt. Got me from belled to muddled. Of course if you do it without lore you probably get tons more exp but who cares about a little exp when you can get more $$$!!

Probably asking a question with an obvious answer, but do you have the necessary disarm/picking skills to go along with the lores in order to extract them easier?

droit
02-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Does each confluence have its own separate pressure system? Was never sure how that worked. I just know I used to pull in about 1m an hour before the wizard nerfs with citizenship + max trading and no purifying.

Are people really interested in this place now because of the plinites? All people used to bitch about before was that there were no boxes or "real" loot and while kind of nifty, the plinites are just glorified gems that can make some annoying parts of the area less annoying.

I think each Confluence is it's own loot area, yeah.

As far as its new popularity, I think that most people wrote the confluence off when it was first released, but the new stuff made them give it a second chance and they realized the mass condemnation it received was unwarranted. It seems like every newly released area goes through a period of unpopularity before the general populace comes around. You know how people like to shit on everything new the GMs do.

Franknozly
02-22-2016, 02:58 PM
Probably asking a question with an obvious answer, but do you have the necessary disarm/picking skills to go along with the lores in order to extract them easier?
I r very confused at your question.

I just said I extracted 46 cores. If I didn't have the skills I wouldn't be able to extract them.
If my skills were insufficient then I would've gotten some rt instead of 0 rt. 0 rt means 200+ end roll.

As stated before level 88 3x pick/disarm.

droit
02-22-2016, 03:10 PM
Now that people have an idea of plinite difficulties, do you think I'd be able to extract them with 202/202 and no lore?

Fallen
02-22-2016, 03:10 PM
I think each Confluence is it's own loot area, yeah.

As far as its new popularity, I think that most people wrote the confluence off when it was first released, but the new stuff made them give it a second chance and they realized the mass condemnation it received was unwarranted. It seems like every newly released area goes through a period of unpopularity before the general populace comes around. You know how people like to shit on everything new the GMs do.

To be fair here, the changes weren't minor. They raised the level on creatures and gave them neat new treasure.

Ceyrin
02-22-2016, 06:12 PM
I've always liked the confluence, personally. It filled a niche that was missing and gave everyone a postcap hunting option. Gems only was a plus for me, but I know I'm often an outlier.

Haldrik
02-22-2016, 06:20 PM
Any idea if the plinites are affected by hunting pressure? That could be nice.

Drafix, how long did it take you to farm those cores?

droit
02-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Tranquil cores teleport your whole group, including corpses!

Galenblackbard raises his tranquil core skyward!
Galenblackbard's core bursts into a dazzling spray of elemental energy!
Reality suddenly seems to give way before you! You tumble through a black void, illuminated only by a rapidly approaching pinprick of light. Just as you are about to strike the source of the light, it wraps around you, and you realize that you are back in Elanthia!

[Shimmering Mists, Wasteland]
A thick carpet of ash has turned this small area of jungle into a grey alien wasteland. Bare and blackened trees stretch towards the hazy sky like scorched fingers, and fronds the size of giantmen lie scattered upon the ground, their surfaces dark and crumbling. One large tree in particular has been completely split in two from root to top, and a wide circle of pitch black earth surrounds its ruined trunk. A fallen tree limb arches over a stream, providing dry passage to the other side. You also see a point of elemental instability.
Also here: Galenblackbard
Obvious paths: east, west
Roundtime: 5 sec.

Fallen
03-15-2016, 06:54 PM
We're still only getting 5 types of cores: glowing, tranquil, churning, balanced and stable. Are the other types that were mentioned in the release announcement supposed to be dropping?

Yes, they are. However, the rest are very rare drops.

Coase

Archigeek
03-15-2016, 06:59 PM

Bards can sing up some of the rift gems past that point, if you need 20k+ gems.

Fallen
03-21-2016, 05:25 PM
The plinites can be used for Animate Dead (730), if you extract the core first. Not doing so will cause it to rupture. Cores are not suitable for animating.

GameMaster Estild

Kithus
03-30-2016, 08:15 PM
Is it possible to break a pick on plinite?

Cereal Killer
03-30-2016, 08:18 PM
You can't break a pick, but the plinites can explode on you, causing hand damage, if you fail by enough or fumble.

Kithus
03-31-2016, 08:57 AM
Quick update on plinite. They can be chiseled with a gem chisel. At least the unextracted ones I know for sure so far.

Fallen
03-31-2016, 09:25 AM
Quick update on plinite. They can be chiseled with a gem chisel. At least the unextracted ones I know for sure so far.

Wouldn't be surprised if they nerf it. They don't seem to like gem chisels these days.

Kithus
04-09-2016, 10:52 PM
Little update on the faintly glowing cores. Their value can be over 20k:

You ask Etaenia if she would like to buy a faintly glowing core.
The jeweler Etaenia takes the glowing core, gives it a careful examination and and says, "I don't have that much spare silver, I will have to give you a bank note for it." She then hands you a Mist Harbor promissory note for 20,700, minus a small 43 silver surcharge.

nindon
04-11-2016, 09:03 AM
I saw a glowing core worth 32k.

nindon
04-17-2016, 04:20 PM
Two new cores:

an undulating blue core - adds lightning flares, probably temporary

You raise your blue core skyward!
A crackling tendril of energy flows into your fireleaf runestaff!
Your core bursts into a dazzling spray of elemental energy!
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

You gesture at an exquisite fireleaf runestaff.
You sense that the fireleaf runestaff has 2 layers of permanent necrotic energy upon it.
You sense that the fireleaf runestaff has been elementally charged with the power of lightning.

an absorptive crackling core - 10 minutes of "elemental shock protection"

You raise your crackling core skyward!
A thin barrier of crackling elemental energy appears before you.

10 minutes later: Your thin barrier of crackling elemental energy dissipates away.

droit
04-18-2016, 01:57 PM
a sparkling blue core - 10 minutes of Defensive Elemental Aura (reactive flares)

You raise your sparking blue core skyward!
An aura of crackling elemental energy surrounds you.

A huge earth elemental pounds at you with a heavy earthen fist!
AS: +475 vs DS: +496 with AvD: +42 + d100 roll: +83 = +104
... and hits for 1 point of damage!
Glancing blow to your left leg!

** Your elemental aura unleashes a bolt of lightning at the earth elemental! **

... 5 points of damage!
Light shock to left leg. That stings!

droit
04-18-2016, 02:00 PM
Added the new cores to the list in the first post. Any idea what "elemental shock protection" did exactly, Nindon?

Methais
04-18-2016, 03:25 PM
... 5 points of damage!

http://www.24tee.com/image/cache/data/2012/badass/weve-got-a-badass-over-here-tee-shirt-a60-650x650.jpg

Any idea what "elemental shock protection" did exactly, Nindon?

I'm thinking when you melee a lightning elemental you won't get zapped.

droit
04-18-2016, 03:43 PM
I'm thinking when you melee a lightning elemental you won't get zapped.

That's what the elementally balanced cores do already. My guess would be lightning resistance.

nindon
04-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Added the new cores to the list in the first post. Any idea what "elemental shock protection" did exactly, Nindon?

I assumed electrical resistance, but I did not get hit so I can't say for sure.

Is it odd that all three of the new cores found so far deal with electricity?

droit
04-18-2016, 04:38 PM
Yeah, a little. I'm hoping it was just luck. There should be other elements out there.

droit
04-18-2016, 06:10 PM
Just found an absorptive steaming core, so it looks like there are other possible elements.

Luftstreitkräfte
04-18-2016, 07:44 PM
Just found an absorptive steaming core, so it looks like there are other possible elements.

Definitely. Just found this "a steaming stout brown stalagmite". I saw Wrathbringer's character exit the room immediately prior to the find, it wasn't critter found.

nindon
04-19-2016, 08:11 PM
a green pulsating core - 30 minutes of Elemental Enhancive Stabilization

You raise your pulsating core skyward!
A green elemental mist sparkles around you, flowing into and around your possessions.

I have no idea what it does.

droit
04-19-2016, 09:08 PM
Check your stats and skills for enhancives.

EDIT: Oh, maybe it prevents enhancive charges from draining for the duration!

nindon
04-19-2016, 09:27 PM
Check your stats and skills for enhancives.

EDIT: Oh, maybe it prevents enhancive charges from draining for the duration!

It did not affect skills or stats. The activation messaging indicated that it did something to my possessions ("flowing into and around your possessions"). You might be right. How would we ever prove it?

droit
04-19-2016, 09:42 PM
No way to really. We could ask Coase for confirmation.

Aganii
04-20-2016, 12:38 AM
Get a bard to sing to it? Pretty sure the loresinging update includes Core information now although it may not be enough to tell

nindon
04-21-2016, 07:31 AM
a smoldering red core - 10 minutes of Defensive Elemental Aura

You raise your smoldering red core skyward!
An aura of molten elemental energy surrounds you.

Methais
04-21-2016, 08:02 AM
a smoldering red core - 10 minutes of Defensive Elemental Aura

What does this actually do?

nindon
04-21-2016, 08:09 AM
What does this actually do?

Droit posted a log of it in #50. It is a reactive flare that triggers when you are hit. Droit's "sparkling blue core" had electircal flares. I assume my "smoldering red core" had heat flares. It did not flare while it was active. I was hit during that time by some wave attacks, but I was not hit by any melee attacks.

Methais
04-21-2016, 09:03 AM
Droit posted a log of it in #50. It is a reactive flare that triggers when you are hit. Droit's "sparkling blue core" had electircal flares. I assume my "smoldering red core" had heat flares. It did not flare while it was active. I was hit during that time by some wave attacks, but I was not hit by any melee attacks.

Hopefully opposite element flares hit harder, otherwise if Droit's log is standard then those things are junk.

nindon
04-24-2016, 08:58 PM
an absorptive warm core - 10 minutes of Elemental Fire Protection

You raise your warm core skyward!
A thin barrier of fiery elemental energy appears before you.

Methais
04-25-2016, 12:56 AM
How much protection does it look like?

nindon
04-25-2016, 07:37 PM
How much protection does it look like?

I don't know. Unfortunately, I am better at finding cores than testing them.

nindon
04-30-2016, 12:43 PM
an undulating grey core - Adds temporary steam flares to your weapon.

>raise my core
You raise your grey core skyward!
A steaming tendril of energy flows into your fireleaf runestaff!

You gesture at an exquisite fireleaf runestaff.
You sense that the fireleaf runestaff has 2 layers of permanent necrotic energy upon it.
You sense that the fireleaf runestaff has been elementally charged with the power of steam.

In case you were wondering, steam flares don't work against steam, fire or lava elementals. Steam flares work fine against lightning elementals.

droit
04-30-2016, 12:57 PM
I added an Element Color Table to the original post. Let me know if you find more colors.

EDIT: Also went ahead and updated the wiki.

nindon
04-30-2016, 06:12 PM
I reviewed my logs. The two undulating cores that I tested each provided 15 flares for my runestaff and then faded ("A strange tendril of energy flows out of your fireleaf runestaff and vanishes"). I imagine the reason it is such a low number is because it can be applied to higher enchants than e-blade. The runestaff I used was +22, ensorcelled and had bubble flares. According to the Charts of Clarity (https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/The_Charts_of_Clarity), neither bubble flares nor encorsell conflicts with elemental flares. The next time I find an undulating core, I will try it on a runestaff with acuity flares.

In some other contexts, flare rates are higher for offensive weapons than for runestaves, so it is possible that the undulating cores would provide more flares on a weapon.

droit
05-01-2016, 11:43 AM
New core: a brightly luminescent core

You raise your luminescent core skyward!
The Elemental Defense II spell suddenly impresses itself into your mind.

>inc 406
You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Elemental Defense II spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
A bright luminescence surrounds you.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)

The heightened knowledge of the Elemental Defense II spell fades from your mind.

Lasts 5 minutes. 406 won't get stripped upon entering the confluence while the core is active due to the spell knowledge.

Pretty cool.

Methais
05-01-2016, 12:51 PM
Nifty. Hopefully there's one with 618 or something in it.

Gnomad
05-01-2016, 06:16 PM
New core: a brightly luminescent core

You raise your luminescent core skyward!
The Elemental Defense II spell suddenly impresses itself into your mind.

>inc 406
You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Elemental Defense II spell...
Your spell is ready.
You gesture.
A bright luminescence surrounds you.
(Forcing stance down to guarded)

The heightened knowledge of the Elemental Defense II spell fades from your mind.

Lasts 5 minutes. 406 won't get stripped upon entering the confluence while the core is active due to the spell knowledge.

Pretty cool.Guessing that means that there's also a silvery luminescent core and possibly also a brilliantly luminescent core

but I guess if they were only going to make one, just a 406 one makes the most sense

Methais
05-01-2016, 08:11 PM
Would be cool if there was a super rare 425 one. Let it stack with existing 425 so people who already know it don't get ripped off. Make the duration whatever.

nindon
05-03-2016, 08:51 PM
a steaming grey core - 10 minutes of Defensive Elemental Aura

>raise my core
You raise your steaming grey core skyward!
An aura of steaming elemental energy surrounds you.

------
Elemental Detection (405) provides limited information about the cores:
You gesture at a steaming grey core.
The essence swirls about the core in a fog of meaningful patterns that indicate the presence of an explosive collection of scalding elemental energy.

An "explosive collection" of energy indicates reactive flares.

------
Some other Elemental Detection examples:

You gesture at an absorptive warm core.
The essence swirls about the core in a fog of meaningful patterns that indicate the presence of an absorptive collection of fiery elemental energy.

You gesture at a green pulsating core.
The essence swirls about the core in a fog of meaningful patterns that indicate the presence of a stabilizing enhancive force.

You gesture at an absorptive crackling core.
The essence swirls about the core in a fog of meaningful patterns that indicate the presence of an absorptive collection of shocking elemental energy.

Cereal Killer
05-04-2016, 03:50 PM
a vibrating brown core - Reactive Earth Flares

You gesture at a vibrating brown core.
The essence swirls about the core in a fog of meaningful patterns that indicate the presence of an explosive collection of vibrating elemental energy.

You determine that the magic within the vibrating brown core can temporarily swathe a being with the reactive flares of an earth elemental.

nindon
05-05-2016, 06:25 AM
a vibrating brown core - Reactive Earth Flares

Did you find the vibrating core on the level with earth/air/water/ice elementals or on the level with fire/lava/lightning/steam elementals? Based on my experience with a very small sample size, I believe that the cores are only found on the level on which the associated elementals are found.

nindon
05-05-2016, 11:59 AM
A new record for me on the value of a glowing core:

At the gem shop: The dwarven clerk says, "Sorry, Nindon, I'm not buying anything this valuable today. Maybe tomorrow."

appraise my core
You peer intently at the glowing core as you turn it in your fingers, meticulously inspecting for flaws. You estimate that the glowing core is of average quality and worth approximately 47900 silvers.
Roundtime: 3 sec.

At the pawnshop: The dwarven clerk says, "Alright, I'll give you 15946 silvers for it."

Should I just sell it at the pawnshop?

Cereal Killer
05-05-2016, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure which side I found the core on. I keep a heavy stash of cores on me from both sides until I can find a locksmith to extract the plinites for me.

droit
05-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Wow, nindon. How much trading was that with?

Mumblz
05-05-2016, 12:32 PM
If it doesnt work for animation, have a dark elf sell it to bring the value down at the gemshop.

nindon
05-05-2016, 12:59 PM
Wow, nindon. How much trading was that with?

I have 41 ranks of trading. For some reason, I thought trading did not affect the number you get when using the Appraise verb outside of a shop. I thought trading affected whether or not you are able to get a value from Appraising but not the value you get when you are successful.

It seems odd that a 47k core is worth less than a 20k core.

Mumblz
05-05-2016, 01:44 PM
The pawnshop doesn't ever offer full value

droit
05-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Didn't they say that extracted plinites could be used for things like animate dead? Would they be desirable for that?

nindon
05-06-2016, 10:24 PM
I found another green pulsating core. A Bard kindly sang to it and got this message: "You determine that the magic within the pulsating core can temporarily shroud a being with a mist-like energy, upon which enhancives can draw energy without depleting their own charges."

Droit's guess was correct. Do you think that means all enhancives, including spell knowledge enhancives?

droit
05-07-2016, 11:06 AM
Pretty neat. Updated the list.

nindon
05-07-2016, 08:33 PM
a brilliantly luminescent core - 5 minutes knowledge of spell 414

>pr 405
You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Elemental Detection spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast my core
You gesture at a brilliantly luminescent core.
The essence swirls about the core in a fog of meaningful patterns that indicate the presence of elemental energy in the form of the Elemental Defense III spell.

>You raise your luminescent core skyward!
The Elemental Defense III spell suddenly impresses itself into your mind.

Five minutes later:
The heightened knowledge of the Elemental Defense III spell fades from your mind.

nindon
05-17-2016, 09:49 AM
smoking black core - 10 minutes of Defensive Elemental Aura

You gesture and invoke the powers of the elements for the Elemental Detection spell...
Your spell is ready.
>cast my smoking core
You gesture at a smoking black core.
The essence swirls about the core in a fog of meaningful patterns that indicate the presence of an explosive collection of fiery elemental energy.

>raise my core
You raise your smoking black core skyward!
An aura of fiery elemental energy surrounds you.

What's the difference between the smoking black core and the smoldering red core in post #63? I think the smoldering red is lava and the smoking black is fire.

It bothers me that no one has reported finding any ice, air or water cores.

droit
05-17-2016, 10:55 AM
Oh yeah, I found a silvery luminescent core yesterday, so there's the Elemental Defense SK trio completed. I too wonder about the other elements. Might be worth posting about on the officials.

That fiery/molten thing is interesting. "Lava" isn't a flare type or crit table, so no idea what the difference is.

nindon
05-28-2016, 05:39 PM
I reviewed my logs. The two undulating cores that I tested each provided 15 flares for my runestaff and then faded ("A strange tendril of energy flows out of your fireleaf runestaff and vanishes"). I imagine the reason it is such a low number is because it can be applied to higher enchants than e-blade. The runestaff I used was +22, ensorcelled and had bubble flares. According to the Charts of Clarity (https://gswiki.play.net/mediawiki/index.php/The_Charts_of_Clarity), neither bubble flares nor encorsell conflicts with elemental flares. The next time I find an undulating core, I will try it on a runestaff with acuity flares.

The flare adding cores will not work on items that already have flares. Attempting to use the core on a weapon that already has flares will not destroy the core.

You raise your blue core skyward!
A crackling tendril of energy flows around your silvery lor staff before retreating back into the core.

nindon
05-28-2016, 05:41 PM
void black core - 5 minutes knowledge of spell 417

>pr 405
Your spell is ready.
>cast my black core
You gesture at a void black core.
The essence swirls about the core in a fog of meaningful patterns that indicate the presence of elemental energy in the form of the Elemental Dispel spell.

You raise your black core skyward!
The Elemental Dispel spell suddenly impresses itself into your mind.

droit
05-28-2016, 06:10 PM
Neat!

Cereal Killer
05-31-2016, 11:48 PM
a damp green core - Reactive water flares

You determine that the magic within the damp green core can temporarily swathe a being with the reactive flares of a water elemental.

droit
06-01-2016, 12:00 AM
a damp green core - Reactive water flares

You determine that the magic within the damp green core can temporarily swathe a being with the reactive flares of a water elemental.

Huh. Did you happen to get a clip of it in action? What are 'water' flares? Acid? Holy water?

Cereal Killer
06-22-2016, 09:54 PM
swirling clear core - Reactive air flares.

You determine that the magic within the swirling clear core can temporarily swathe a being with the reactive flares of an air elemental.

droit
06-23-2016, 09:03 PM
Added. Also, I tested out the difference between red and black cores. Looks like black gives normal fire flares, but red gives magma.

A Grimswarm giant ranger shoots strands of webbing at you!
AS: +394 vs DS: +350 with AvD: +36 + d100 roll: +85 = +165
... and hits for 15 points of damage!
Chest hit causes you to spin around like a halfling after a fresh tart.

** Your elemental aura unleashes a glob of magma at the giant ranger! **

... 5 points of damage!
Minor burns to chest. That hurts a bit.

The molten magma rapidly cools and hardens into constricting rock.

Maybe it has a slowing effect like the lava elementals magma glob?

nindon
07-19-2016, 10:06 PM
a dark ethereal core - 5 minutes knowledge of spell 410

>pr 405
Your spell is ready.
>cast my core
You gesture at a dark ethereal core.
The essence swirls about the core in a fog of meaningful patterns that indicate the presence of elemental energy in the form of the Elemental Wave spell.

>raise my core
You raise your ethereal core skyward!
The Elemental Wave spell suddenly impresses itself into your mind.

nindon
08-12-2016, 09:46 AM
an absorptive whistling core - 10 minutes of Elemental Vacuum Protection

You gesture at an absorptive whistling core.
The essence swirls about the core in a fog of meaningful patterns that indicate the presence of an absorptive collection of whistling elemental energy.

>raise my core
You raise your whistling core skyward!
A thin barrier of whistling elemental energy appears before you.

nindon
04-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Out of the 4523 elementals that I killed and posted about in the elemental essences thread, I found 826 plinites. 826/4523=18%.

Those plinites contained the following cores. The percentages add to 101%. I'm too lazy to fix the rounding.

Core Type|Number|Percent
balanced core|
80|
10%

churning core|
23|
3%

stable core|
74|
9%

tranquil core|
83|
10%

glowing core|
517|
63%

other cores|
49|
6%

nindon
05-08-2018, 09:25 AM
I found a faintly glowing core this morning that appraises for between 54,100 and 59,800 silvers using the Appraise verb. The gem shop won't buy it (The gemcutter Zirconia says, "Sorry, Nindon, I'm not buying anything this valuable today. Maybe tomorrow."). The pawnshop offered less than 21k. Looking back in this thread, I see that two years ago I found one worth 47,900, which was my record at the time. So far as I know, faintly glowing cores are not useful for anything except to sell. I guess I'll sell this one at the pawnshop.

Even though it is not iridescent, I tried Alchemy Examine, which said it is not useful for alchemy.

The average faintly glowing core is worth less than 10k. Most seem to be about as valuable as a nice diamond or emerald. I wonder if there is a maximum possible value. Financially, I would have been better off to find a core worth 25k, because I would have been able to sell it at the gem shop for its full value.

rolfard
05-08-2018, 09:30 AM
A 40k+ gem may be desirable for animate dead, but i dont know if cores even work like that

Methais
05-08-2018, 09:40 AM
I found a faintly glowing core this morning that appraises for between 54,100 and 59,800 silvers using the Appraise verb. The gem shop won't buy it (The gemcutter Zirconia says, "Sorry, Nindon, I'm not buying anything this valuable today. Maybe tomorrow."). The pawnshop offered less than 21k. Looking back in this thread, I see that two years ago I found one worth 47,900, which was my record at the time. So far as I know, faintly glowing cores are not useful for anything except to sell. I guess I'll sell this one at the pawnshop.

Even though it is not iridescent, I tried Alchemy Examine, which said it is not useful for alchemy.

The average faintly glowing core is worth less than 10k. Most seem to be about as valuable as a nice diamond or emerald. I wonder if there is a maximum possible value. Financially, I would have been better off to find a core worth 25k, because I would have been able to sell it at the gem shop for its full value.

I’ve found some like this before. Not common, but not unheard of.

And yeah it’s stupid when it happens because you’re forced to sell it to the pawnshop for way less.

vyrshkana
07-21-2020, 01:15 PM
...way late to the party, but I just found a 64k faintly glowing core. Gem shop wouldn't touch it, so I found my friendly local Dark Elf and asked them to sell it in Ta'Vaalor for just shy of 50k. Negative trading bonuses have the occasional use. I swear.

Methais
07-21-2020, 01:18 PM
...way late to the party, but I just found a 64k faintly glowing core. Gem shop wouldn't touch it, so I found my friendly local Dark Elf and asked them to sell it in Ta'Vaalor for just shy of 50k. Negative trading bonuses have the occasional use. I swear.

It happens sometimes. I've gotten a few that were too high for the gemshop, and then had to take a shitty rate by comparison from the pawnshop.

vyrshkana
07-21-2020, 01:20 PM
It happens sometimes. I've gotten a few that were too high for the gemshop, and then had to take a shitty rate by comparison from the pawnshop.

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying having someone with a negative trading bonus sell it can make the shitty rate not be quite so shitty if you're not too far over the cap.

drumpel
07-21-2020, 04:20 PM

Reported!

I'll make sure the GMs fix the trading negative for all races in all cities.