PDA

View Full Version : Tones that aren't tones?

Caiylania
11-17-2004, 05:04 AM
Here is a conversation I had with a warrior after commenting on his 'tone' of voice. Now, this is not a dig on his RP. I am just curious as to what other people think. Should some tones not be tones at all? Such as the one we discuss.

Noise, reps, etc..... removed. Mostly. You get to see me guzzle ale. I hate guzzling *mutter*

I didn't cut it down to just the conversation, because I wanted to show a bit of what was going on.

------

You say, "No no one leave, Cause Klidel is cutting me reps in half."

Peregrino removes a shot of dwarven rye whiskey from in his spidersilk backpack.

You say, "With the four of yahs here."

Peregrino nods to you.

Geezzer grins at you.

Klidel assays Candrath with a critical eye and says, "Let's find you something to do to earn a rank in Warrior Tricks." Klidel gives Candrath some instructions.

Peregrino stupidly says, "Is 2 fer 1 night."

In one blurring motion, Geezzer snatches a invar-hafted golvern morning star from his harness, brandishing it for all to see.

Candrath turns to face you.

Geezzer deftly twirls his golvern morning star around his finger and stuffs it in his leather weapons harness. Fancy!

Candrath asks, "Would you have 20 or so ranks in tackle?"

You shake your head.

Candrath nods.

You say, "Sorry my friend."

Candrath says, "No worries."

Peregrino stupidly says, "Anyone can teach Pere warcry perhaps me only has a few ranks in its."

Peregrino tips his head back and empties a shot of dwarven rye whiskey down his gullet!

You say, "I can."

Candrath pulls Peregrino aside for some one-on-one instruction.

Candrath glares intently and lets out a nerve-shattering bellow!

Candrath nods to Peregrino.

Geezzer says, "I dun train in it."

Peregrino throws his head back and lets loose a terrible bellow!

You tip your head back and empty your Elven brown ale down your gullet! You discard your vessel of drink and wipe off your mouth.

[You have 11 repetition(s) remaining.]

Round time: 4 sec.

You remove a stein of Elven brown ale from in your leather pack.

Peregrino stupidly exclaims, "Pere thank yas!"

Peregrino glares intently and lets out a nerve-shattering bellow!

Candrath says, "Anytime."

Peregrino removes a shot of dwarven rye whiskey from in his spidersilk backpack.

****removed lots of reps here****

You quietly whisper to Peregrino, "Using the tone stupid doesn't suit you. or match what you say."

Geezzer deftly twirls his golvern morning star around his finger and stuffs it in his leather weapons harness. Fancy!

Peregrino whispers, "It would if I wasnt dead tired."

You see Lord Peregrino Storm-Fyre the Warrior.
He appears to be a Giant.
He appears to be mature. He has stormy grey eyes and copper skin. He has shoulder length, wavy steel grey hair.
He is in good shape.
He is holding a shot of dwarven rye whiskey in his right hand and a skull pommeled claidhmore in his left hand.
He is wearing a gold ring, a veniom-tooled spidersilk sack, a flame-etched brooch, a dancing crimson flame ring, a full-sleeved blood red shirt, a veniom-worked black silk gem pouch, a spectacular flame orange rose, a scorched red glaes chain, a small traveller's satchel, some blackened veniom cufflinks, a salt-stained leather plunder bag, some scorched leather pants, some heavy mithril-scaled boots, a crisp black spidersilk vest, a wild black rose, a mithril alloy mesh weapons harness, a pair of thick charred leather gloves, a black rose crest, a blood red shirt, an extensively scorched roquelaure, a silver pentagram earring, a brass-edged pentacle amulet, a Warrior Guild member pin, a scorched leather belt, a laje-studded leather wrist sheath, some invar spiked mithril arm-guards, some invar spiked mithril leg-guards, some studded mithril alloy gauntlets, and a translucent spidersilk backpack.

Peregrino is a 20 rank member of the Warrior Guild.

*more rep removal*

You tip your head back and empty your Elven brown ale down your gullet! You discard your vessel of drink and wipe off your mouth.

[You have 9 repetition(s) remaining.]

You belch.
Peregrino stupidly asks, "Teach Pere agains?"

Peregrino stupidly exclaims, "Yippee!"

Candrath grins.

Peregrino whispers, "Anyway why?"

*Peregrino does a ton of warcries in a row*

Peregrino stupidly says, "Umm Pere forgots ahains."

Peregrino coughs.

Peregrino shuffles his feet.

You quietly whisper to Peregrino, "Most tones only suit some of the time. For example, an empath would most likely ignore someone asking for healing rudely. or using the tone happy while begging for someone to raise a friend."

Klidel assays Geezzer with a critical eye and says, "Let's find you something to do to earn a rank in Warrior Tricks." Klidel gives Geezzer some instructions.

[You have 7 repetition(s) remaining.]

*reps*

You quietly whisper to Peregrino, " stupidly shouldn't even be a tone really, if your char is stupid, that would come off in what he says or does. not his voice."

Peregrino whispers, "Not necessarily."

Peregrino whispers, "I think of it as denoting the slow measured delivery and such which is a tone unto itself."

*ten or so Pere reps here*

You quietly whisper to Peregrino, " that forces opinion. My char may not think just because someone speaks slowly they are stupid. Stupid is determined from words/actions. not tone. most other tones are correct. You can have a happy tone of voice. but not a stupid one. tired, yes, quiet, yes."

Candrath slashes his knife through the air, his weapon becoming such a blur that you momentarily see the initials C.G. flash before your eyes.

[You have 6 repetition(s) remaining.]

Peregrino whispers, "Im just wondering why it matters?"

Peregrino glances at Candrath.

Candrath slashes his knife through the air, his weapon becoming such a blur that you momentarily see the initials C.G. flash before your eyes.

Peregrino stupidly says, "Youse a scarin me."

You quietly whisper to Peregrino, " I simply made a comment that it was odd you were saying non stupid things with the tone 'stupid'. You inquired about it."

Candrath chuckles.

Candrath asks, "Why's that?"

You move toward a heavy iron door, striding away.
[Guild Hall, Main Hallway]

** me going to get more ale **

[Warrior Guild, Courtyard]
This appealing rest spot sits directly before the steps leading to the Guild Hall door. A pair of statues watch over the entire courtyard, including the nearby stone benches and bubbling fountain. The benches invite you to sit and the fountain encourages you to stay. Several fireflies hover over the fountain, their light reflecting off the clear water below. You also see a short sword, an oak barrel, a large mithril plaque, Training Administrator Klidel and a sandwich-board sign.
Also here: Lord Peregrino, Candrath, Oengus who is sitting
Obvious paths: east, southeast, south, southwest, west

Peregrino stupidly asks, "You knows magics, how you know Pere were needin be told agains?"

Peregrino stupidly says, "Magic scare Pere."

Peregrino frets.

Candrath says, "Nah, just guessing."

Peregrino stupidly says, "Oh."

Peregrino sighs relief.

Klidel nods to you and says, "Need help with training? Just ASK if you do."

Peregrino tips his head back and empties a shot of dwarven rye whiskey down his gullet!

Candrath says, "Just tap me when ya need another teach."

[You have 5 repetition(s) remaining.]

Klidel assays Peregrino with a critical eye and says, "Let's find you something to do to earn a rank in War Cries." Klidel gives Peregrino some instructions.

Peregrino stupidly says, "Dont nows."

Peregrino mutters armorpolishin.

Candrath asks, "What she give ya this time?"

You swap your Elven brown ale from your left to your right hand.

[You have 4 repetition(s) remaining.]

Peregrino stupidly says, "Made Pere armor wipe man."

Peregrino grumbles at Training Administrator Klidel.

Candrath chuckles.

Candrath says, "Just got done with that myself a bit ago."

[You have 3 repetition(s) remaining.]

Peregrino whispers, "What I was asking is if the way i was doing it tonight offended your roleplay sensibilities or something? I dont know how else to say it."

You quietly whisper to Peregrino, "Did not offend me at all. Was just letting you know some may perceive it as off. I would suggest the tone slowly or something. thats all."

[You have 2 repetition(s) remaining.]

[Guild Hall, Main Hallway]
** yet more ale. I'm a lush! **

[Warrior Guild, Courtyard]
This appealing rest spot sits directly before the steps leading to the Guild Hall door. A pair of statues watch over the entire courtyard, including the nearby stone benches and bubbling fountain. The benches invite you to sit and the fountain encourages you to stay. Several fireflies hover over the fountain, their light reflecting off the clear water below. You also see a short sword, an oak barrel, a large mithril plaque, Training Administrator Klidel and a sandwich-board sign.
Also here: Lord Peregrino, Candrath, Oengus who is sitting
Obvious paths: east, southeast, south, southwest, west

Peregrino whispers, "To be honest ive always considered someones roleplay to be their own unless they step over the line getting ooc etcetera."

Klidel nods to you and says, "Need help with training? Just ASK if you do."

You quietly whisper to Peregrino, "That is why it was a suggestion and comment. Nothing more. I have had people comment to me in whispers, mostly do I agree ? no. But some times I get a helpful tip or hint. That is all it was meant to be."

[You have 1 repetition(s) remaining.]

You quietly whisper to Peregrino, " you said you wanted to show he spoke slowly.. there is a slow tone. ::shrug:: the words would always match your tone then."

[You have completed this task.]

You belch.

You say, "Done."

You let out a cheer!

Peregrino whispers, "But not what I am trying to convey, and usually I talk like a idiot."

Candrath smiles.

Peregrino whispers, "An rather."

You quietly whisper to Peregrino, " then would not the words you say convey that? and the slow tone empasize?"

Peregrino whispers, "I like it being stupid."

You quietly whisper to Peregrino, " There you go. Thats all that matters :) Was just a discussion."

** get assigned and go do raking reps **

You rake up some leaves and begin collecting them into a pile.

You say, "Joy."

Peregrino whispers, "Call it a visual aid for people that think hes trying to be sarcastic or start a fight or something--alot of kids play this game and this lets them know easier."

Candrath chuckles.

** more reps **

>whisp pereg no worries.
>pull rake
You gather a leaf pile into your burlap bag.
You stride away, moving west.

[Edited on 11-17-2004 by Caiylania]

Adhara
11-17-2004, 08:06 AM
I don't see a problem. If he tries to say everything stupidly but slips now and then, I think we could all find it in our heart to fogive him. He's obviously not a dumb player and understands very well the purpose of tone and its uses.

I think you were overly picky with him. On one hand we have player A who says everything mysteriously, including asking for healing countless other things that don't fit, and on the other hand we have player B, someone who understands the tone verb, uses it properly but makes a small mistake now and then. Shouldn't we start by educating the A's?

Now you ask if stupid should be a tone. Think of it as a group of speech characteristics that would make someone sound stupid. Slow might not be enough. Someone can sound very smart while speaking slowly. I'd have to look at the list again to see if there are any I think don't belong but as far as stupid goes, I think it should stay.

CrystalTears
11-17-2004, 08:09 AM
You can sound stupid, even if the words don't convey that message. Oh yeah people can have a stupid tone. Wanna talk to my customers and hear for yourself? :D

11-17-2004, 08:31 AM
The ogres from Warcraft 2 have a stupid tone!

- Arkans

Caiylania
11-17-2004, 08:48 AM
That's all I was asking, is if others agreed.

I don't see it as me being picky, I just discussed my point of view with him. I didn't once make it sound like if he didn't do my way he was stupid or something. It was just different points of view.

If someone says....

Warrior stupidly says,"Anyone want to hunt trolls?"
Warrior stupidly says,"Can I have healing?"
Warrior stupidly says,"This rain is drenching, wish it would stop?"

That just doesn't read right to me. But I am just one :D

And I'm saying the tone as a whole, not this one user. There are others I've seen use it and spout such as Bard stupidly says,"Any blurs being casted"? Now I ask..... bards have to learn songs and instruments, how are they stupid, and how is asking for blurs stupid?

[Edited on 11-17-2004 by Caiylania]

11-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Picture Goofy. He has a "stupid" tone.

- Arkans

Latrinsorm
11-17-2004, 02:40 PM
I don't think you were being overly picky, and you're very right that not everyone thinks a stupid tone sounds the same. I think using slow would be better. Kinda like the philosophy "Don't TELL me that you can do something, SHOW me you can do something."