PDA

View Full Version : MTV

edge
09-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Do you think they are corrupting our youth?

I know kids are being more sexual and disrespectfull at earlier ages. Do you think MTV is part of the problem? Movies more? I don't know. But I think between these two our youth doesn't hold another persons life at such a high level as we did. But I don't know.

Artha
09-07-2003, 05:41 PM
MTV, Music, Movies, the desire to appear older...parents for not smacking the shit out of their kids when they find them smoking/having sex/thieving/listening to rap.

Gokkem
09-07-2003, 05:44 PM
Listening to rap? Hopefully you were joking. I'm not crazy about rap myself, but don't hold it against people that listen to it.

theotherjohn
09-07-2003, 05:45 PM
MTV has sucked so bad the last couple years that I think the only people watching it are middle aged men looking for a cheap thrill shot of some young thing

Artha
09-07-2003, 05:48 PM
Hopefully you were joking.

I was.

Rysk
09-07-2003, 06:00 PM
Clicky...
Love your Kids? Prove it by beating them! (http://maddox.xmission.com/beat.html)

StrayRogue
09-07-2003, 06:04 PM
As Artha said. Parents don't discipline their kids anymore. Or if they do, they have more outlets of rebellion. A recent headline in our papers is about how an American soldier (no hassle to you guys) went off with a 14 year old girl. Another involved a 14 year old guy and a 12 year old girl. Etc. Perhaps the blame can be laid (in this country at any rate) purely on the fact that if you smack your child (as punishment), you are liable to go to prison for 15 years.

edge
09-07-2003, 06:09 PM
But in other countries they have arranged marriages at the age of 14. Hell, 100 years ago people had kids and a family at 15. You can't aim at the US for this. It's not acceptable here, when it's acceptable elsewhere more and not heard about.

Edaarin
09-07-2003, 06:12 PM
I honestly think that the impetus falls on the parents in 90% of everything involving their kids. Our responsibilities. We can't blame television for brainwashing our children, because who parked them there in the first place?

StrayRogue
09-07-2003, 06:14 PM
WTF? I didn't say a fucking word about the US. I am saying why shit like that happens here. I have no idea the legalities of parents being able to beat children over there. The MTV "generation" has been blamed before, but I only think its had a very minor effect on children. Parents have the most control, I would say (not being a parent) on a childs up-bringing. Please, any parents, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.

edge
09-07-2003, 06:14 PM
If you are a bible thumper. It says. Spare the rod and spoil the child. If we have no disepline will our kids not run over us? I been lucky in life. I have never spanked my son. I smacked him twice ever. Once when he covered my eyes while driving and the other is when he grabbed the steering whell while I was driving. Thats it.

Now my son doesn't watch R rated movies or MTV. This was a choice made between his mother and I. We don't want him to grow up to FAST. When he was 10 he asked me what a condom was. He heard it on the radio. I child should not know about sex that early, I think.

But I just don't know. You can shut your child off to long and he rebels or rush him into life. What should you do? But I know I am my sons best friend now and he talks to me about everything. Which is something 80% parents can't say.

edge
09-07-2003, 06:16 PM
<WTF? I didn't say a fucking word about the US. I am saying why shit like that happens here. I have no idea the legalities of parents being able to beat children over there. The MTV "generation" has been blamed before, but I only think its had a very minor effect on children. Parents have the most control, I would say (not being a parent) on a childs up-bringing. Please, any parents, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this.>

I guess I am shell-shocked at all your Anti-American comments and you can't blame me for thinking that anything negative out of you was about America.

StrayRogue
09-07-2003, 06:21 PM
I am anti-American Government thankyou :)

I do think its parenting though. I grew up with access to whatever I wanted pretty much (except drugs and smokes). Movies, literature, music, TV. My parents thought it would be best to appease me, rather than force me to go behind their backs to do what I wanted. It worked.

Artha
09-07-2003, 06:23 PM
In the US you're only liable for child abuse if you leave a bruise or cut them when discipling them.

StrayRogue
09-07-2003, 06:28 PM
Same here, pretty much. Excessive beating, I do not agree with. But a slap around the legs or on the ass teaches a kid a lesson.

Artha
09-07-2003, 06:40 PM
I could agree with that. Or a meal of soap if they swear. Positive reinforcement doesn't always work...when it doesn't, you should feel free to smack your child.

StrayRogue
09-07-2003, 06:45 PM
*nod*

Praefection
09-08-2003, 01:16 PM
This is a hot issue with some people since I know some who agree that a slap here and there is fine and others who would NEVER hit their child. Personally for me I think that a tap on the butt can do wonders to grab a child's attention, it sure did me when I was little. Then I've also seen very well behaved children where the parents have never had to use force. It could just be the child's personality of what is needed, either they'll accept the talking to or might need that swat to make 'em listen. I also think that everyone is one the "Don't abuse your child" bandwagon that parents are afraid to actually be the parent for fear of being charged with abuse.

Praefection
09-08-2003, 01:18 PM
Oh and to get back on topic. Around 10 years ago when I was in 7th and 8th grade I spent a lot of time with my best friend. Her mother didn't want us watching MTV because it was too adult. Now that I look back on it, it was tame compared to what kids are watching now. The bottom line, parents are the ones responsible for what their child is exposed to and it's up to them to make what they learn good or bad..

Trinitis
09-08-2003, 02:19 PM
I'm not so sure I agree with the whole "parrents are responcable" throw out...

I say this because of the way *I* grew up.

From I'd say...4th grade till about 7th grade..I came home from school every day (walked home) with my friends, then went to my "baby sitters" house, which was a 16 year old girl and her little brother (who was a friend.) Now, me and him spent a lot of time just being young kids, but she spent that time making sure we got a snack of some type..did not get hurt playing..and watching MTV. So, when ever we where in the house, we had MTV running in the background, and sometimes we actually watched it.

After 7th grade, I got a house key, and was responible for myself after school, so when I got home, I either did my home work, then went outside, or I kept myself inside. If I was inside, I was either watching MTV (I hated cartoons for some reaon..don't know why..) or, half way through the 7th grade, I got my first nintendo, so I got locked into RPG's. (It actually took me like, 7 months to beat Dragon Warrior the first time..heh.)

Why did I watch MTV? I loved the music..I'm very much a "Hair Metal" fan. I grew up with Crew, GnR, Metallica, Megadeath, etc etc etc..I'm still a fan of them today. Back then, MTV actually SHOWED MUSIC VIDEOS...amazing.

Now, MTV is a Teenage sex show..its all people throwing parties, getting drunk, rubbing bodies over eachother..etc etc.

Thank god for Nintendo.

-Adredrin

Final Fantasy 1 Ruled