PDA

View Full Version : Terrarium.

11-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Um, my iguana is fucking huge.

His cage is too small.

I need to buy him a gigantic terrarium.

He's in a 75 gallon tank, and he's outgrown it.

I've been surfing the web and e-bay for huge terrariums and cages to no avail.

The design them yourself cages, though inexpensive, are still to small.

I need length over height.

I've got 400 dollars that I'm willing to spend on this thing.

If anyone is in the know-how about terrariums for larger lizards, please, please respond or U2U me. Thanks.

Soulpieced
11-16-2004, 10:31 PM
Just let him roam around the house :bouncing: I'm sure he'd love that... though your furniture wouldn't.

11-16-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm just worried about dimensions, either the cages/terrariums that are somewhat larger either have a ridiculous length, or a ridiculous height, but not a combination of the two.

36x36x48 would be perfect, and I could easily install ledges for him myself. But I haven't gotten great results so far.

Sean
11-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Yea my iguana's have always been just open to the house. It sucks for the curtains but they iguana's always seemed happier. And this one has taken to being trained to crap in 1 spot apparently by my mom while I'm at school which makes it even better.

crazymage
11-17-2004, 12:06 AM
mines an ass we cant even let him out he hates my roomate so bad hes whipped him multiple times

SpunGirl
11-17-2004, 12:08 AM
Can't you find something of an appropriate size at a PetsMart or PetCo or something?

-K

HarmNone
11-17-2004, 12:47 AM
http://www.iguanaden.com/housing/cagebasics.htm

According to this site, there are no commercially available cages that would be big enough to properly house your iguana. They do, however, have some suggestions for you.

11-17-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks Harmnone, I'll take this idea to the machinist as I am Jewish and have no assembling skills whatsoever.

edited to add: That's not an insult. I seriously know a machinist at Yale university where you bring them "ideas" and they can basically assemble anything.

[Edited on 11-17-2004 by Stanley Burrell]

HarmNone
11-17-2004, 12:56 AM
I'm sure your big fella will be a lot happier in a cage that's built to suit him. It'll also cost a lot less. :)

Amberlei
11-17-2004, 12:56 AM
I worked at a zoo once and we had a similar problem trying to locate a temporary container to put a couple of tortoises in. What we wound up doing was having a box built, about 72"x72"x12", of wood and then getting sheet glass (make sure you get the edges sanded!) cut to fit the interior but three feet high. The glass was then glued together using some kind of aquarium glue (available at pet stores) and then we placed a smaller square of wood (11.5" or so high) inside to add more support to the glass. I know this isn't quite the same as tortoises don't climb and a lid wasn't needed, but maybe you can utilize the same concept with some modifications.

Shari
11-17-2004, 01:08 AM
www.petsmart.com

I know we have these cage things that you pretty much assemble out of pvc pipe and then you slide this net-like "cage" over it and viola! Insta-cage! Some of them are pretty decent sized too, and they're specifically designed for iguana's for open air and you can put your basking lamps near them without melting it. :D

They're also much cheaper than glass or acrylic.