PDA

View Full Version : Comcast block specific connections?

Maerit
01-22-2016, 05:51 PM
Really strange question, but could Comcast block a connection for a specific account due to excessive traffic?

I was enjoying messing around with my F2P army, when I lost connection to all simutronics including play.net. So, I check it on my phone and it works fine. Check it on my work network... No problem. I can log into my account(s) so I'm not banned (nor would there be cause to ban my accounts), but on my home network through Comcast there is no connection to even play.net. This is also for multiple PCs, so it isn't something specific to that one computer.

I have reset my connection multiple times and can access the rest of the Internet just fine, so my only conclusion is that somehow comcast has blocked this specifically for my account?

Do I need to put on a tinfoil hat, or is this a possibility?

Geijon Khyree
01-22-2016, 06:27 PM
Tinfoil hat.

Comcast is all or nothing if you get banned for excessive data usage, but you get multiple letters of warning first. On the east coast they just charge for data over 300 GB. It's not the issue.

Archigeek
01-22-2016, 06:29 PM
This is more likely an issue with your browser, firewall, or anti-virus software. I've had this happen before and it can be frustrating, but most of the time I've been able to go into browser settings and fix it.

Maerit
01-22-2016, 06:30 PM
Ok, it's really really strange. I forced an IP address reset (verified by checking my public IP address before and after the process). Still cannot connect to even play.net when routing traffic through Comcast. Setup a VPN - works fine, but I can't route game traffic through a VPN, so I can't actually play the game outside of using the web browser method. I can still log into my accounts, no problems there.

What could be preventing all computers, wireless / wired connections, from being able to access the game?

This is more likely an issue with your browser, firewall, or anti-virus software. I've had this happen before and it can be frustrating, but most of the time I've been able to go into browser settings and fix it.

Even on multiple PCs though? The game was working perfectly fine - didn't change a single setting - then I get DC'd and can not reconnect through my Comcast connection at all.

Archigeek
01-22-2016, 06:43 PM
I'm the last guy I would ask for advice on computers. Sorry, but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will pipe in. Also, Google.

m444w
01-22-2016, 07:24 PM
Open a cmd.exe and type in "ipconfig /flushdns" no quotes and see if that fixes your problem.

If it does switch from Comcast's shitty DNS servers to Google's free ones.

The ip addresses are:

I had this (and other similar stuff) happen quite frequently before I swapped off Comcast.

Viekn
01-22-2016, 07:29 PM
Open a cmd.exe and type in "ipconfig /flushdns" no quotes and see if that fixes your problem.

The ip addresses are:

I had this (and other similar stuff) happen quite frequently before I swapped off Comcast.

I recently did that for my PS4. Is it a good idea to do it for your PC as well?

Maerit
01-22-2016, 07:36 PM

The ip addresses are:

Ok, I did as suggested and flushed the DNS first. No joy. Then I updated the DNS addresses to google's free DNS for both IPv4 and IPv6 and reboot my machine. Still no joy!

Not sure what is going on... I'm fairly competent with most elements of my PC, but I am not sure if it's possible to route traffic for all of Lich/GS4 through a VPN. I have confirmed that a VPN allows me to connect to play.net's website - but the free VPN tool in use doesn't appear to be routing the game's traffic.

Plus, this is an issue both my Windows 7 and Windows 10 PC. Neither of them can access the game content or view simutronics websites. Not even tinyheroes.com.

m444w
01-22-2016, 07:38 PM
I recently did that for my PS4. Is it a good idea to do it for your PC as well?

Probably?

Google's DNS servers are much quicker and reliable than {insert ISP provider here} as a general rule.

I'm not even 100% sure that's his problem, it's just a common one based on his symptoms.

Viekn
01-22-2016, 07:39 PM
Ok, I did as suggested and flushed the DNS first. No joy. Then I updated the DNS addresses to google's free DNS for both IPv4 and IPv6 and reboot my machine. Still no joy!

Not sure what is going on... I'm fairly competent with most elements of my PC, but I am not sure if it's possible to route traffic for all of Lich/GS4 through a VPN. I have confirmed that a VPN allows me to connect to play.net's website - but the free VPN tool in use doesn't appear to be routing the game's traffic.

Plus, this is an issue both my Windows 7 and Windows 10 PC. Neither of them can access the game content or view simutronics websites. Not even tinyheroes.com.

What about logging in to your router's webpage and checking for a firmware update?

Maerit
01-22-2016, 07:44 PM
What about logging in to your router's webpage and checking for a firmware update?

Ok, I'll poke around in the Comcast modem/router. The connection issue persists whether I am directly connected to the modem or using my separate d-link wireless router. Not sure Comcast gives customers the option of forcing a firmware update.

edit - I did just disable the firewall within the comcast router completely just to be sure that somehow magically it didn't get added to my router's firewall, but it did not do anything.

Viekn
01-22-2016, 07:48 PM
It doesn't seem like this would work, because it's the same for all computers, but you could also do a system restore to a point not far in the past and see if that helps.

Maerit
01-22-2016, 08:04 PM
I reset my router to factory settings, and after the long multiple reboot process it still does not allow me to connect to simutronics sites and products. Not sure what else to blame but the ISP at this point.

Latrinsorm
01-22-2016, 08:05 PM
To add to the hypotheses, could Simu have DDOS protection that you inadvertently tripped? I recognize you changed your IP but presumably DDOS protection is more sophisticated than that.

Maerit
01-22-2016, 08:07 PM
To add to the hypotheses, could Simu have DDOS protection that you inadvertently tripped? I recognize you changed your IP but presumably DDOS protection is more sophisticated than that.

Anything is possible, but how and why would that have happened? I was not performing any activity more extreme than any MA player would perform. When this occurred, I was in the process of transferring some equipment off a F2P account to a subscribed character, and had a third account active. Surely having 3 active connections is not enough to be considered a DDOS threat?

If that is somehow the case - by what process would one resolve that with Simu?

Maerit
01-22-2016, 08:12 PM
Well, thank you all for your helpful suggestions - randomly after 3 hours of tinkering the issue has resolved itself (maybe?). Either way, it seems to be functional again.

Perhaps Latrin is right and it was a temporary DDOS protection. Maybe it just was a weird ISP issue. Who knows!