PDA

View Full Version : Skinning

Danical
11-15-2004, 03:27 AM
Just wondering if anyone has done any empirical research on skinning.

-Are the prices on skins capped such that a character getting magnificent skins with only 1x FA and 1x Survival would be making the same as a character getting magnificent skins with 2x FA and 2x Survival?

I would think this would be the case but if not, overtraining training characters have the potential to make quite a bit.

StrayRogue
11-15-2004, 03:30 AM
No. The chances of getting better quality skins increases with more training and other conditionals.

imported_Kranar
11-15-2004, 05:41 AM
<< No. >>

So if I have 1000000 ranks of both FA and Survival, I still get slightly more silvers for say... rat pelts, than if I had 1000 ranks of both?

I highly doubt that that's the case. I'm fairly confident, just based on my own skinning experience, that there is a cap on the value of skins.

Keller
11-15-2004, 05:43 AM
How many ranks?

StrayRogue
11-15-2004, 05:50 AM
Oh yes there is a cap per skin. However, there is ALWAYs a slim chance that you will fumble. And represented by a number of factors such as skin difficulty, kneeling, weapon used and FA/Survival ranks will define exactly how often you can get magnificent quality pelts.

The more FA/Survival you have, the more often you will get better quality. There is not a point where XX amount of ranks will equal always magnificent. Merely the more ranks you have the more likely you are to skin something at the best possible quality.

[Edited on 15-11-04 by StrayRogue]

imported_Kranar
11-15-2004, 07:33 AM
Ah... that clarifies it quite a bit.

Thanks.

Askip
11-15-2004, 12:24 PM
One minor point: kneeling improves the chance of skinning the critter, but it will not improve the quality of the pelt.

I found that useful when skinning storm griffins for fletching feathers and did not care about value.

:D

Danical
11-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Alright, I thought that was the case. I'm at a point right now where I always get mag skins and I have 2x FA and 1x Survival. I could probably drop down from 2x to 1x FA and still get the mag skins. Thanks for the 411. If two skins are the same quality it seems the biggest factor for value is how many times I hit the critter and where those hits land - seem right?

AnticorRifling
11-16-2004, 08:06 AM
Yeah if you're taking claws and hit the hands the claws are worth less. If you're taking scalps and crush the grape the scalp is worth less, etc.

That's why you get a spell that does only internal damage and you don't have to worry about it, that or pop the eyes on most things.

StrayRogue
11-16-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by vulvamancer
Alright, I thought that was the case. I'm at a point right now where I always get mag skins and I have 2x FA and 1x Survival. I could probably drop down from 2x to 1x FA and still get the mag skins. Thanks for the 411. If two skins are the same quality it seems the biggest factor for value is how many times I hit the critter and where those hits land - seem right?

For that critter yes. You will never get mag pelts on every critter with XXX ranks. With 250 FA and 150 Survival I still screw up on some critters, so there is obviously other difficulty factors. Refer to my above post.

Skeeter
11-16-2004, 12:58 PM
I find that at 1x fa and 1x survival I can skin anything I hunt with about 80% success. Also remember if you are a staff user and your skinning knife is in your left hand, you need to skin XXXX left. Botched quite a few skins before I actually went to the trouble of reading the skinning info.

AnticorRifling
11-16-2004, 01:18 PM
I just macro it to get knife swap, skin <?>, put knife in my container, swap, etc Never knew about the skin target left that's kind of cool.

Naomi Chan
12-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Does not dexterity factor in as well?

Mistomeer
12-29-2004, 10:37 PM
Yes