PDA

View Full Version : Krov Monk in the Works.

Neolandra
01-04-2016, 11:15 AM
I have not tried the Monk, and I am still very new to all the changes.
I was wondering what would make a stat's 100 monk at cap, so wondering if anyone could share a Stat build, and maybe more info on the UAC and the Cmans that would go along well with it.
Also Hand wraps, or brawling weapons?

Any guide links will be appreciated an read. So thanks for the help ahead of time.

Astray
01-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Guide to Monks.

Roll a Rogue, be better than any Monk ever.

Neolandra
01-04-2016, 11:21 AM
Cant seem to get into rogues. Have about 10 I have made and erased.

Peppwyn
01-04-2016, 11:22 AM
I played a monk that was 75 I think. The big problem for him was the lack of CvA against casters. Basically I would use 410 to knock things down and then use ;combo to kill them. It took a lot longer to clear a room than with any other class.

Maerit
01-04-2016, 12:49 PM
410 isn't an option for Monks unless you were using an imbed. However, 1207 is a single-target ewave that works wonderfully for monks!

With the changes to MOC and being used with UAC, swarms would be manageable, but that is one of the areas that is not very Monk friendly. Swarms, especially with casters, will be slow and deadly to Monks.

Peppwyn
01-04-2016, 01:03 PM
Maybe that it was I was thinking. It's been a while.

Donquix
01-04-2016, 03:40 PM
It depends on the targets. If you can reliably 1219 the swarm monks are actually quite good at clearing them, especially with the MoC changes, if you're running krynch. Just hope you don't get fucked during the 1-3 second delay from when 1219 succeeds and it actually does something...ugh, so fucking annoying.

I 1219, open mstrike punch, then kill whatever i got tier3 on (or just mstrike punch confirm again with the stamina cost, depends on my mood). once tier3 is rocking and you kill something you can generally krynch through the rest pretty quickly. Kifocus can help here too to get to tier3 quickly for the initial target, or if you only krynch over to tier 2, etc.

For reference, I am into my 80's, have 30+ monk spells, know up to 120, and have 40+ logic bonus when hunting so...my monk CS is above average. But this is one reason why monks were always pretty good against bandits (alone, the problem was always tagging them with groups), they have bad TD so 1219 is easy to land on them then you just krynch through. As long as you focus the casters monks can do well in warcamps as well, same reason.

Some of the smaller changes during HSN + the MoC fix have really helped things considerably for monks. Still on the low end of the power curve but it's not hilariously slow by comparison anymore.

the TD is still an issue, i generally only try to take things on 1 at a time, i could handle multiple targets but it's just easier to avoid it. You just need to make sure you don't let them cast (feint, 1207, 1218, 1219, aimed neck/head punch, etc.). When i'm bothering to disable things with spells I actually use 1210 a lot as well depending on target (again, my CS is about as high as it could realistically be for a monk of my level). The change to kifocus was pretty amazing. i kifocus then focus mstrike (55 ranks of MoC so 3 strikes + free jab) means i'm more than likely going to be hitting getting at least 1 tier 3 hit during my mstrike, then aimed shots after that if it didn't just die. You can also kifocus when wandering looking for a target, so the RT from it (2 seconds) is essentially free. Krynch is amazing but I've considered dropping it to pick up slippery mind to help with when TD attacks do slip through. Would be a slight hit to kill speed for some insurance on random spell casts slipping through. I would have never considered doing that before the mstrike/kifocus changes but they make the loss of krynch way more manageable.

My current cmans:

Skill name Mnemonic Ranks
Combat Focus focus 3
Feint feint 5
Surge of Strength surge 3
Burst of Swiftness burst 3
Perfect Self perfectself 5
Punch Mastery punchmastery 3
Ki Focus kifocus 3
Rolling Krynch Stance krynch 3

Currently maxing out focus. I forget what after that...probably 1 rank of mobility then other stuff.

caelric
01-04-2016, 03:48 PM
I played a monk that was 75 I think. The big problem for him was the lack of CvA against casters. Basically I would use 410 to knock things down and then use ;combo to kill them. It took a lot longer to clear a room than with any other class.

Monks are kind of in the same spot sorcerers were on the GS3-GS4 transition. They made a lot of changes and nerfs to sorcs (key among them making a lot of things component required) that they said they were going to do to other classes as well, but never did. With monks, they made it so they are a lot slower in combat, slower in the sense that it takes longer to kill things, and said that this was the new face of combat, but they haven't yet done that to any other class (and hopefully never will!)

Neolandra
01-04-2016, 06:23 PM
What about Stat's? What is a good build to max out at cap?

Saurven
01-06-2016, 08:52 PM
I tried a monk. A couple times. Not so much. My rogue ftw.

Vorpodu
01-07-2016, 11:27 AM
I know at first glance a half-krolv seems to be tailormade to be a monk, but they are pretty terrible monks with that logic hit.

GS-Vet
12-02-2017, 05:16 AM
I know at first glance a half-krolv seems to be tailormade to be a monk, but they are pretty terrible monks with that logic hit.

I beg to differ. I'm a fairly bad ass monk and an HK.

cwolff
12-02-2017, 06:31 AM
I beg to differ. I'm a fairly bad ass monk and an HK.
Agreed. In fact hk's are bad ads in general and I don't notice a hit to logic even with my non perfect self hk rogue.

I think the logic concern is overblown. At lvl 19 you can set you stats for cap and have no worries with your hk monk

Orthin
12-02-2017, 07:44 AM
Agreed. In fact hk's are bad ads in general and I don't notice a hit to logic even with my non perfect self hk rogue.

I think the logic concern is overblown. At lvl 19 you can set you stats for cap and have no worries with your hk monk

Agreed my half krolvin wizard is bananas. Those other star bumps are amazing for ranged and weapon use and my spell AS is solid too. I placed logic high and have no issues and my pool is decent because I placed discipline high too. So while I may lose out on however points per pulse I still feel like I earn and burn exp like a monster. Plus bark and bristle verb use is amaze balls

khorpulent
12-02-2017, 08:33 AM
My current cmans:

Combat Focus focus 3
Feint feint 5
Surge of Strength surge 3
Burst of Swiftness burst 3
Perfect Self perfectself 5
Ki Focus kifocus 3
Rolling Krynch Stance krynch 3

Currently maxing out focus. I forget what after that...probably 1 rank of mobility then other stuff.

How come no kick mastery?

khorpulent
12-02-2017, 08:57 AM
Here are my monk's CMs at 51. I'm sure some folks will disagree with my choices, but it works nicely for me so far. Just about everyone will tell you to go Krynch over Flurry of Blows, but I'm still liking Flurry at the moment, in part because I'm using some gloves with major fire flares. I imagine I'll have to switch to Krynch at some point.

I know a lot of people advocate getting Perfect Self as quickly as possible, but I don't think it's worth the training points early on. I'm working toward it now.

I don't have any problems against magic at the moment, but I'm sure that will change sooner or later. I have access to a lot of outside spells, too, so my choices would likely be different otherwise. I only learned spells up to 1216 and don't plan to learn any more for a while. A lot of folks seem to train their monks like a semi class, but that 38 MTP per spell rank sure cuts into your other skills.

Combat Focus focus 1
Combat Mobility mobility 1
Combat Toughness toughness 1
Surge of Strength surge 1
Evade Mastery emastery 3
Kick Mastery kmastery 3
Flurry of Blows flurry 3

As far as race goes, I think halflings make the best choice from a mechanical standpoint, if for no other reason than the inherent TD bonuses. Dwarves also have some pretty good natural TD bonuses. Monks have access to some decent spiritual TD, but don't get much to help with ETD. Halflings' inherent +40 ETD and +20 Sorc TD make a huge difference. And with UAC, the negative STR bonus has much less of an impact.

There's nothing wrong with playing a HK, though, if you don't mind absorbing exp more slowly. But still, the extra 2-4 exp a pulse that other races get adds up in the long run.

I've really enjoyed playing my monk thus far, but of course at 51 I'm sure I don't really have a complete picture of the class. I rolled up the monk because I sold off my capped warrior and got bored with my UAC rogue. So far at least, I'd call monks my favorite class among squares or semis (but pures are still more fun, of course).

Lulfas
12-06-2017, 06:19 PM
You also recoup a little bit of the logic loss by being open handed in combat. Doesn't help you versus another monk, true, but against average xp loss from other races, balances it a bit.

Fortybox
12-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Here are my monk's CMs at 51. I'm sure some folks will disagree with my choices, but it works nicely for me so far. Just about everyone will tell you to go Krynch over Flurry of Blows, but I'm still liking Flurry at the moment, in part because I'm using some gloves with major fire flares. I imagine I'll have to switch to Krynch at some point.

I know a lot of people advocate getting Perfect Self as quickly as possible, but I don't think it's worth the training points early on. I'm working toward it now.

I don't have any problems against magic at the moment, but I'm sure that will change sooner or later. I have access to a lot of outside spells, too, so my choices would likely be different otherwise. I only learned spells up to 1216 and don't plan to learn any more for a while. A lot of folks seem to train their monks like a semi class, but that 38 MTP per spell rank sure cuts into your other skills.

Combat Focus focus 1
Combat Mobility mobility 1
Combat Toughness toughness 1
Surge of Strength surge 1
Evade Mastery emastery 3
Kick Mastery kmastery 3
Flurry of Blows flurry 3

As far as race goes, I think halflings make the best choice from a mechanical standpoint, if for no other reason than the inherent TD bonuses. Dwarves also have some pretty good natural TD bonuses. Monks have access to some decent spiritual TD, but don't get much to help with ETD. Halflings' inherent +40 ETD and +20 Sorc TD make a huge difference. And with UAC, the negative STR bonus has much less of an impact.

There's nothing wrong with playing a HK, though, if you don't mind absorbing exp more slowly. But still, the extra 2-4 exp a pulse that other races get adds up in the long run.

I've really enjoyed playing my monk thus far, but of course at 51 I'm sure I don't really have a complete picture of the class. I rolled up the monk because I sold off my capped warrior and got bored with my UAC rogue. So far at least, I'd call monks my favorite class among squares or semis (but pures are still more fun, of course).

When you get to lvl 70 and realize how much time you wasted I’m sure you’ll be saying a different story.

GS-Vet
12-10-2017, 01:04 PM
When you get to lvl 70 and realize how much time you wasted I’m sure you’ll be saying a different story.

Why’s that? 90s now and loving it personally

Fortybox
12-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Why’s that? 90s now and loving it personally

Lies!!!11